Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 AM

358 posts, read 887,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
W

Is it any wonder why Chrysler went back to the hemi engine for their Dodge Ram trucks and some Jeeps?

North America's Fastest Production Cars
They actually did not go back to the Hemi engine. That is just what they named it. It is not a hemi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,487,386 times
Actually it IS a hemi...just not the 354, 392 or 426 Hemi.
The reason an engine is called a Hemi is due to the design of the head's combustion chamber.

Although the new Hemi is more of a polyspherical head...

Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,833,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
They actually did not go back to the Hemi engine. That is just what they named it. It is not a hemi.
Technology caught up a long time ago. Now a hemi is not really and advantage over a "normal" engine... so it's really more of a marketing ploy than anything. Still, it IS technically a "hemi".

Old 09-13-2013, 01:13 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,501,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Technology caught up a long time ago. Now a hemi is not really and advantage over a "normal" engine... so it's really more of a marketing ploy than anything. Still, it IS technically a "hemi".

As are half the engines in new vehicles these days regardless of manufacturer.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 AM

358 posts, read 887,413 times
Actually it is not technically a Hemi, Hemi is only a name.

That thing got a Hemi? No, not really - News - Automobile Magazine

It is sort of a polysphere, which is not a Hemi. But it is mostly filled in. Hemis are too expensive to make and no longer provide sufficient power advantages over less expensive configurations. They can get the same or more power from a less expensive design, so they went with that.

It does not mean it is any less powerful, but it is NOT a Hemi. Hemi is just a name.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 AM

963 posts, read 2,303,387 times
Personally, I'm content with watching middle aged men driving super cars at excessive speeds on Top Gear. I'll live vicariously through that. Very entertaining.

However, I'd rather cruise at 70mph in a Lincoln Town Car with a comfortable ride and low road noise. Or, better yet, and Audi A8 (if I could afford one). I find that much more enjoyable than hearing the constant drone of 500 barely muffled horsepowers vibrating my spine on a 4 hour road trip. Most guys who own muscle cars have them as a second vehicle for weekend drives. Jay Leno is probably the ultimate car guy, but he drives a Prius during the week (or so he says). Driving a muscle car and pushing its limits every day is for young guys who haven't yet realized how mortal they are (yet).

Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,243,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Personally, I'm content with watching middle aged men driving super cars at excessive speeds on Top Gear. I'll live vicariously through that. Very entertaining.

However, I'd rather cruise at 70mph in a Lincoln Town Car with a comfortable ride and low road noise. Or, better yet, and Audi A8 (if I could afford one). I find that much more enjoyable than hearing the constant drone of 500 barely muffled horsepowers vibrating my spine on a 4 hour road trip. Most guys who own muscle cars have them as a second vehicle for weekend drives. Jay Leno is probably the ultimate car guy, but he drives a Prius during the week (or so he says). Driving a muscle car and pushing its limits every day is for young guys who haven't yet realized how mortal they are (yet).
From everything I've seen, he drives one of his fleet on a daily basis. He often comments about what he drove that day on his show.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 AM

963 posts, read 2,303,387 times
I think that the Tesla Model S provides the best balance of luxury-performance at the moment. 0-60 in 4 seconds, world class handling that matches the best European GT cars, and roominess, comfort, low maintenance, and economy. That is a true super car for the next generation.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:42 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,962,647 times
Quote:

Such a narrow view.

Nothing about owning a muscle car means driving them at the limits. I'd doubt anyone in an Audi A8 drives it at the limit either.

As for the Lincoln, the new ones can't hold much of a candle to the older models.

20 years from now, that Audi A8 wouldn't be suitable to be given away much less sold. Sale for a new Lincoln. There will be no rebuilding of any of those cars, no refurbishing the electronics which eventually fail. Why? Because 20 years from now (heck, 10 years from now) no one will want either of them unless they can't afford anything else. Sure they get you from point A to point B in quiet comfort.

So does a Greyhound bus.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Quote:

I drive mine every day when it isn't snowing. It is very comfortable and not that loud. My spine has no complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive