Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times

Advertisements

I tooks "brakes class" at the local college a few years ago.

Never actually done my own brakes yet but I have been meaning to. During the class my brakes looked good so I just hosed them down with brake cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:54 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
May need to do the rear drums when I have to go to inspection in January.
Rear Drums are a pain in the Rear
IMO the key to rear drums (if you've never done them before) is to take picture before you start.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
IMO the key to rear drums (if you've never done them before) is to take picture before you start.
And do just one side at a time so you can use the other as a reference.

And for drum's, a hold down brake tool does make the job easier.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Or... only do one complete side at a time.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
a hold down brake tool does make the job easier.
This^^^^
makes the job so much easier

Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Agreed. Also reference the other side.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:31 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Thnks for the tips!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
The rear brakes are never easy. On a 4-wheel disk brake system, you typically have a parking brake that is a "mini drum brake" on the inside of the rotor. The relative novice DIYer is fine, provided you don't need to replace the rotor. But removing the rotor, with that mini-drum brake, is a royal pain in the butt.
An exception is the Subaru Legacy around MY 92 - rears are the same as the front, pull back caliper bolt, swing up, drop old pads, push pistons back (or do that first if you prefer) put in new pads, swing back down, put in rear caliper bolt and torque it. Bada bing, bada boom.

That is, of course, if you don't need to replace the rotor...even then 90% of the job is possession of the correct puller.

Older VW rear drums are not that tough. Air cooled bugs, with manual adjusters (and MG-B for that matter) are way easy.

A tip: (and I see I am hardly the first to say this) get both back wheels off the ground, pull both road wheels and drums. Then dis-assemble ONLY ONE side, keeping the other side as a model of how it goes back together. Particularly if the job stretches over a couple weekends, it's not always so obvious. At least not for me.

And, so, yeah, I was where you are about 35 years ago, not wanting to work on brakes because "a mistake could get me killed". The answer to this is to work carefully, in fact I am way more inclined to trust my own brake work than a shop's. I spend quite a lot of time inspecting and checking stuff, and I know exactly how worn a part needs to look before I want to replace it.

Brakes are not hard. You can definitely do a better job than the chain garages will in general do. Finish off by bleeding the brakes, not because you necessarily need to get air out, but because it will get clean dry fluid in the system. Think about doing a bleed on your clutch if it's a juice clutch, while you have the tools out.

Particularly with 4-wheel disc, make damn sure you pump the brake pedal - using short strokes, don't push the pedal and master cylinder beyond normal travel - before you try to move the car. This can take a dozen or more strokes. Don't be coasting towards your shop wall while you are doing this. If you screw up remember the hand brake.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
An exception is the Subaru Legacy around MY 92 - rears are the same as the front, pull back caliper bolt, swing up, drop old pads, push pistons back (or do that first if you prefer) put in new pads, swing back down, put in rear caliper bolt and torque it. Bada bing, bada boom.

That is, of course, if you don't need to replace the rotor...even then 90% of the job is possession of the correct puller.

Older VW rear drums are not that tough. Air cooled bugs, with manual adjusters (and MG-B for that matter) are way easy.

A tip: (and I see I am hardly the first to say this) get both back wheels off the ground, pull both road wheels and drums. Then dis-assemble ONLY ONE side, keeping the other side as a model of how it goes back together. Particularly if the job stretches over a couple weekends, it's not always so obvious. At least not for me.
Yep, yep and yep.

There were also some late-80s GM cars with rear disk brakes that weren't bad to work on.

And I have no idea how many hundreds of times I might have been in and out of an old AC Bug, fiddling with the front drum brake adjusters!

That said, I think one of the main problems with rear drum brakes is that, by the time most people have any idea they're bad, they're REALLY bad. Stuff is just destroyed in there. Also, very few people have the simple tools that make drum brakes a hundred-fold easier to fix.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I was, for the most part, an office worker for the past 30 years but I have done my own brakes for the past 40 years. I've even done mechanical brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive