Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have filed a claim with their insurance company and with ours. The current status is that both insurance companies are duking it out at this point.
Can you do that? I know that with my own Insurance, I can't file claims to two different insurance companies at the same time for the same incident.

If I had the Insurance info for the guilty party, I would surely file with their carrier. Although, depending on the circumstances, they do need a police report or a written statement from the person admitting fault. If it's more complicated than this, it's hard to DIY.

Quote:
I'm just saying that if I was the Hilton PR department head, I'd at least kick in a few nights of hotel stays (we travel a lot so that would be easy). That is my final resort and I feel pretty sure we'll at least be able to offset our costs with that.
I doubt they would do that. Did Hilton do their own investigation of the incident, since it happened in their property? What did they find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Can you do that? I know that with my own Insurance, I can't file claims to two different insurance companies at the same time for the same incident.
She can file a claim with both, but she obviously won't be fully indemnified by both. The insurance companies themselves will negotiate which one pays out how much.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
There was a case like this on Judge Judy and as I recall the valet service was found to be at fault. They tried to use the disclaimer on their check that says "not responsible for damage or items missing" but that was too broad of a statement.

I am the type who will not roll over either. I would be down at Small Claims Court filing a suit. If nothing else, it inconveniences the hell out of them and sometimes gets them to want to settle before having to go through all of that.

Let us know how it ends up.

Don

Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
There was a case like this on Judge Judy and as I recall the valet service was found to be at fault. They tried to use the disclaimer on their check that says "not responsible for damage or items missing" but that was too broad of a statement.
Getting the car back and seeing damage on the spot -- that's one thing. Driving off and coming back later -- that's something different. That's the problem.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
if the damage to your truck was that bad, then someone else had their vehicle damaged as well, and may have also filed a complaint. if you take this to small claims court, you will need to file a discovery motion to get the paperwork that the valet company, and their insurance company have for a period of time from when you were there to a couple of weeks afterwards, as well as any complaint letter sent to the hilton during that time. if you can match up a letter of complaint that matches yours, then you have a stronger case, perhaps strong enough to win in court. if you do win in court, file the verdict with the clerk of the court, and send the valet company a registered return receipt requested letter that tells them you expect them to pay the judgement within 30 days of the date of the letter. and if they fail to do so, the you will take further legal action against the company. have an attorney assist you in this, but remember that in small claims court, attorneys are not allowed in most jurisdictions, so be as prepared as possible with EVERYTHING you can think of from body shop repair estimates, to any complaint letters sent to the valet company and the hilton hotel, and the valet companies insurance company, again all this can be done under the discovery laws. you might also want to get your and your husbands driving records from the DMV, and from your insurance company, that indicate any accidents or tickets, or the lack there of, for the last five years. perhaps even get a carfax report on the vehicle in question so you can at least show that NO accidents have been reported to carfax.

every little bit helps.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:45 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if the damage to your truck was that bad, then someone else had their vehicle damaged as well, and may have also filed a complaint.......

They could have(and probably did) back the truck in to a pole. There wouldn't be any report of that. Most valet garages are very small, and have very tight parking areas

Old 09-01-2013, 04:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Right. This is my fault.

The hotel we stayed at is in downtown Austin. Valet parking is the ONLY option, unless we want to park in a public parking garage several blocks away. (Just a note - the temperature in downtown Austin this time of year is over 100F during the day and I think it's a bit unrealistic to make that walk in the heat back and forth to a parking garage that is not any safer an environment than a hotel parking garage and open to the general public 24/7.)

Sorry, but I did think that the Hilton would probably provide decent valet service. MY BAD.
Well, hopefully you know better now. Thats what happens when you stay in a three star hotel, and expect five star service.

Why don't you go on tripadvisor.com and yelp.com and leave them the worst possible reviews you can. Warn people not to stay at the Hotel, because the valet guys will wreck their cars, and then deny they did it. Maybe the hotel will compensate you to get you to retract the bad reviews. I doubt it. They already have plenty of bad reviews for that place. But it's worth a shot. At least maybe they will cover your deductible.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
They could have(and probably did) back the truck in to a pole. There wouldn't be any report of that. Most valet garages are very small, and have very tight parking areas
then there would be paint from the truck on the pole, worth checking out.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Right - we think it looks like they tried to make a corner around a pole or a pillar and cut it too short.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Why don't you go on tripadvisor.com and yelp.com and leave them the worst possible reviews you can. Warn people not to stay at the Hotel, because the valet guys will wreck their cars, and then deny they did it. Maybe the hotel will compensate you to get you to retract the bad reviews. I doubt it. They already have plenty of bad reviews for that place. But it's worth a shot. At least maybe they will cover your deductible.
Quote:
Well, hopefully you know better now. Thats what happens when you stay in a three star hotel, and expect five star service.
Yep, you're a goober.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect employees not to do $2000 worth of damage to my vehicle - at ANY hotel.

This hotel's rating on Expedia - four stars:
Hilton Garden Inn Austin North (Austin, United States of America) | Expedia

On TripAdvisor (my personal favorite) - four and a half stars:
Hilton Garden Inn Austin North (Austin, United States of America) | Expedia

Hotel.com - four stars:
Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center Hotel - Austin - United States - With 280 guest reviews

That being said, if this isn't rectified to my satisfaction, I can assure you that I will leave terrible reviews online detailing exactly what happened. It will become my mission in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive