Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,062,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Nissan Promises Driverless Car By 2020:

When do you think they will be widespread, like say 10% of the total car sales? 50%? When will most vehicles be driverless? When will there be laws prohibiting most use of non-driverless vehicles?
Liability resolution and infrastructure requirements are still a long way from being resolved. The up front costs of development are minimal compared to the potential liabilities of driverless cars. I suspect we will see the advent of other forms of transportation as the technology around transportation continues to evolve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 10:29 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,854,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Liability resolution and infrastructure requirements are still a long way from being resolved. The up front costs of development are minimal compared to the potential liabilities of driverless cars. I suspect we will see the advent of other forms of transportation as the technology around transportation continues to evolve.
I expect liability will end up the big driver of driverless cars. They will prove to have vastly lower accident rates driving the process.

The only real infrastructure requirement will be the adoption of a communication capability. That one is well underway, will simply happen, slide in with the car electronic and quickly become mandatory. I know of no other infrastructure requirement.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 AM

39,922 posts, read 26,631,982 times
If the price was remotely reasonable I'd buy one! I have an hour commute each way and work 10-12 hours a day. A chance to sleep a couple more hours on the commute would be great. Now, the interesting thing will be to see how these self-driving cars do in snow, fog, icy roads and when deer are trying to commit suicide.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 AM

39,922 posts, read 26,631,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'd sure like to have a driverless car that I can program to drop me off and pick me up at the airport or be my Designated Driver.
Interesting thought. In some of our horribly crowded and overpriced cities, it would be nice to have a self driving car to drop you off at work/business/whatever, then drive itself out of town and park in a nice, free parking lot. Or even back home. Then call up an app on your phone to summon it at quiting time. Or if you're only going to be a short time, just drive around the block while you get stuff done, rather than pay an overpriced fee just to park. Seems even better for families with multiple workers, it could drop first one then the other off at work, park, and go pick up either-or, or be available when a vehicle is needed during the day.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:31 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,302,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Interesting thought. In some of our horribly crowded and overpriced cities, it would be nice to have a self driving car to drop you off at work/business/whatever, then drive itself out of town and park in a nice, free parking lot. Or even back home. Then call up an app on your phone to summon it at quiting time. Or if you're only going to be a short time, just drive around the block while you get stuff done, rather than pay an overpriced fee just to park. Seems even better for families with multiple workers, it could drop first one then the other off at work, park, and go pick up either-or, or be available when a vehicle is needed during the day.
Ide much rather pay the price for parking, then double the miles and double the fuel used my car would waste driving back home by it's self.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:20 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,966,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Self-driving vehicles are like magnetically-levitated vehicles; a pretty piece of science-fantasy that probably is doable under closely-controlled conditions, but can't be adapted to a mass market save over a very long time horizon. Just so much fluff for the readership of Popular Science and the like.

I see the driverless car as auto industry hype to just to get people excited about cars in general.
I don't think they will ever be widely adopted in the mass market and the car companies know it.

But because Google started all the hype with their self-driving Prius now everyone in the auto industry
wants to get on board the driverless car bandwagon because it boosts their company stock value just by
announcing that they're working on one.

Doesn't even work in the rain or snow? Looks like vaporware to me.

Google's Self-Driving Cars Don't Work In Rain Or On Roads - Business Insider

Old 01-29-2015, 06:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,428,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I see the driverless car as auto industry hype to just to get people excited about cars in general.
I don't think they will ever be widely adopted in the mass market and the car companies know it . . .
That's a hard case to make when they've already spent who knows how many hundreds of millions developing and testing prototypes for years, and have even started releasing semi-autonomous features bit-by-bit, some of which are available on cars for sale right now. This isn't just some Popular Mechanics "decades in the future" speculation/wish-list. Semi-autonomous cars are already on the road and are within years of being market-ready. We're not talking about fully autonomous cars that can drive vast distances with no driver input at all; those are probably still decades off. But semi-autonomous systems that can take on most driving tasks with minimal input from the driver will probably make their way into high-end models by the end of the decade.

ETA: And by the way, the automotive industry didn't just jump on the Google bandwagon. They had been working on autonomous features/systems for years before Google got into the game, or at least publicly announced their own autonomous vehicle program.

Last edited by Drover; 01-29-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 10:35 AM

18,566 posts, read 15,665,954 times
I'd be too worried about someone hacking into the computer system to buy a self-driving car.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,428,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I'd be too worried about someone hacking into the computer system to buy a self-driving car.
100 people die on American roads every single day but you're worried about the vanishingly miniscule possibility that your car out of the hundreds of millions out there is going to get hacked? I'm far, far more worried about about all the people manually piloting 4,000-lb rolling missiles who at best are barely paying attention to what they're doing, and at worst are outright impaired or otherwise unfit to be driving.

Hacking is in fact a potential issue for the proposed vehicle-to-vehicle communication systems, and those who are developing V-to-V systems are aware of the risk and are designing safeguards against it. Otherwise, there's no need for self-driving systems to be connected in any way to any networked system that is accessible to outside parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive