Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 PM

7 posts, read 8,356 times

Advertisements

I need some help. I have search everywhere to find a car. The thing is I'm a student and I've been using my grandmother's car. I've asked my grandfather if I could have my grandmother's car since she passed. There is still some more legal things that need to be done with my grandmother's assets and estate. So that's out. I'm going to need a reliable car so I can get around. I really need a car but I don't have any money. The jobs require me to have a car to get to them. If someone could help me it would be wonderful. I'm very appreciative! I'm posting this in the automotive forum because maybe someone can help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,421,472 times
Why can't you just continue to use her car while they're figuring out the estate stuff?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:11 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnR86 View Post
There is still some more legal things that need to be done with my grandmother's assets and estate. So that's out.
Is the car in repo somewhere? If not, just take the keys until some lawyer calls you to return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnR86 View Post
I really need a car but I don't have any money.
Yeah...the thing about cars...they cost money. Can you bus it to work?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:24 PM

I work odd hours. The legal stuff is that have to assess the value of the car and all her things. I will try to ask my grandfather again. Maybe he'll let me have it! I know cost money, I was hoping to get a little car ( nothing special) till I can get my own car. It would be my first car.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I'm presuming that GF is the executor to the estate, in which case he has a right to grant any privilege that was already in force, with respect to use of your GM's property.

Did your GM have you named as a driver on her insurance? IF she did, that is evidence of your permission to use the car as long a she or the estate is the owner.

If you live in a community property state, the car was the joint property of your GM and GF (no matter whose name is on the title) until such time that it is disposed of otherwise in accordance with the probating of the will. If the will makes no specific mention of the car, then it is simply your GF's property now, just like the can opener in a kitchen drawer, which he obviously has a right to let you use.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,393 times
If gifting the car is not an option, can gramps loan you a few hundred for a beater?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:19 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,504 times
What exactly are you asking for, from us? money?

I once had a job at stop and shop working night shift stocking. I usually would get a ride there, but id be on my own after that.

My walk home took me 2.5 hours, or 7 miles. I thought about the bus but I could never figure out which one to take and I just said forget it. Walking actually encouraged me and pushed me forward.

Not too bad, but I got my license back and my car on the road.

Sorry to hear about the passing in your family.

Sometimes you get lucky and you can get a working car for a couple hundred. Sometimes you can find a good used road bike for cheap too.

Oh and theres always a moped/scooter, NO insurance or registration or tax baloney.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
What exactly are you asking for, from us? money?

I once had a job at stop and shop working night shift stocking. I usually would get a ride there, but id be on my own after that.

My walk home took me 2.5 hours, or 7 miles. I thought about the bus but I could never figure out which one to take and I just said forget it. Walking actually encouraged me and pushed me forward.

Not too bad, but I got my license back and my car on the road.

Sorry to hear about the passing in your family.

Sometimes you get lucky and you can get a working car for a couple hundred. Sometimes you can find a good used road bike for cheap too.

Oh and theres always a moped/scooter, NO insurance or registration or tax baloney.
Not a bad idea. I can't walk to the job but I'll ask for a ride or take public transportation and then ask for a ride home.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,041,501 times
Honestly, I think buying/owning a car is out of the question for you right now. Several things have to happen before that becomes feasible.

Is there any way you can ride a bike to work & back? At least for awhile?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,504 times
Maybe even figure out a carpool..

Ive done this a few times through the years, Just need to find someone that lives around you. Where you can get a ride or take the bike. As long as your willing to pay for gas it can work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive