Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Even if you buy your car with cash, the finance guy will be your last stop before you drive away with your car. You'll get there, thinking you know what you're going to pay for the car. But the finance guy will strongly push add on products - especially extended warranties. Paint protection. Etc. It is their last chance to sell you something else. And you have to just say no. Over and over. And if they don't stop, just get up out of your chair. The finance guy will back off.

I have paid cash for every car I have bought since 2000. All but two bought at a dealer. And they do the same thing. When I told the Honda guy I didn't want the extended warranty he acted shocked. And he asked "why not?" I said one of the reasons I bought a Honda was because I didn't expect to need an extended warranty.

So be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I suggest you do some internet research at sites like Edmunds. Find out what they think is a current market price in your area for the car you want. If your zip is 77845 (College Station) I suggest you use the "internet sales" contact for dealers in College Station, Houston, etc. Tell them what you want, tell them you are ready to buy, and that you are looking for the best price. Let them compete for your business before you even set foot in their dealership. Do not tell them you will pay cash. If they ask "will you finance?" just answer that you haven't decided yet.
At what point should someone test drive the car? Before getting quotes from dealer of after?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 AM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Thanks very much for the input!

All new 2014 Mazda 3 will come out in September, that's why 2013 Mazda 3 cars are on sale. I've checked truecar and kbb, and I would say the current offer they gave me isn't that bad.

I've heard a lot of horrible things about the finance traps, so I decided to go all cash. Without finance, can there be any trap in the paperwork?

Just make sure you understand it. It can get a little confusing but that is not necessarily because you are being deceived. That's just the way the math works on the forms. A pure cash deal should be easy but do remember that some deals are contingent on getting the manufacturer financing. But as I said, once it is "booked" you can pay it off and the only interest will be for those few days. You might pay $30-$40 but be given a $1,500 rebate so it's still a good idea. If the manufacturer financing is not required then just buy it with cash and read the conditions that the rebates are based on. Some have "strings", others don't.

The other real trap people fall into is to buy life insurance and extended coverage. These are complete rip-offs. If you really need life insurance just buy a regular term life policy separately. And you don't need the extended warranty coverage unless you intend to drive it until the wheels fall off and even then I think it is a bad deal. Almost all of that is just profit to the financing guy and the dealer. Just refuse it.

I don't try to squeeze the last nickle out of the dealer. If they are forthcoming and give me the actual selling price we can usually deal. Do be wary of the "documentation fees" though. That's another rip-off. They might give you a song and dance about it being required but I wouldn't pay it unless they also provide the plates themselves. Then a reasonable fee might be in order. This is done in Texas where the plates will come in within a week or less. It saves time running to the vehicle registration office and waiting in a line and dealing with a bureaucrat.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 AM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
At what point should someone test drive the car? Before getting quotes from dealer of after?
You should test drive any car you are interested in. You may not even like it. Most dealers I have dealt with just give me the keys and let me take it for a spin if they know me. Otherwise they might want to ride along or get a copy of your license in case you don't bring it back.

You might test drive it at the first dealer you contact but buy it at the next dealer. But as a matter of courtesy I usually give the first dealer another bite of the apple if I like him.

If you have a really good relationship with the dealer some will let you take it home for the night and look it over. You need to really feel right about it. It may not be right for you. If not, look further. And sometimes what you think you want may not be what you really need or wind up buying. So take your time. There are no shortages of new cars out there and they can always get what you want from another dealer for a nominal fee through dealer trades.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
My recommendation assumes you already know what you want. For me - that couldn't happen unless I had already driven the car and knew what I want.

Most dealers today have an internet sales department. They know the internet buyer is generally more informed than the on-lot buyer. The internet buyer has probably looked at Edmunds, read Consumer Reports, etc.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
They gave me a piece of paper, and they wanted me to sign my name saying that I will buy this car if the price is xxxx and agreeable. Is that part of the paperwork? I can't change my mind later? Penalty?

Due to the fact that I don't trust dealers, I can't proceed to sign anything without knowing what exactly it is.
No you don't need to sign anything unless they are ordering a car for you. Even if you are ordering a car you can still refuse it, although they will try to tie up a deposit from you if they order it.

If it is on the lot you might need to sign something if you take the car home overnight which I strongly advise you to do.

I took the car I just bought home twice over night from different dealers just to be sure I loved it. You don't want to get something and then decide the seat isn't comfortable or you don't like the way the controls work. When I did this I left them the keys to my car so they could move it if they needed to and signed a paper checking it out and saying I would return it in 24 hrs.

Test drive all the cars you want. Drive them from multiple dealerships so you get different routes and road conditions. Don't even bother talking price until you know you love the car. As mentioned above once you think you love a car ask if you can take it out over night to see how it fits in your garage, how it works with your driveway, to show your spouse (or mom/dad). Really any old reason is good enough to ask and spending a little time with the car will help you know if it is the one you want.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Is Mazda really that bad? Online reviews are generally favorable.
No matter what kind of car you had named, somebody would come on here and say "Ive got one, it's a piece of crap".

Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Find another dealer. Contrary to popular opinion, there are some good ones out there.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
No you don't need to sign anything unless they are ordering a car for you. Even if you are ordering a car you can still refuse it, although they will try to tie up a deposit from you if they order it.

If it is on the lot you might need to sign something if you take the car home overnight which I strongly advise you to do.

I took the car I just bought home twice over night from different dealers just to be sure I loved it. You don't want to get something and then decide the seat isn't comfortable or you don't like the way the controls work. When I did this I left them the keys to my car so they could move it if they needed to and signed a paper checking it out and saying I would return it in 24 hrs.

Test drive all the cars you want. Drive them from multiple dealerships so you get different routes and road conditions. Don't even bother talking price until you know you love the car. As mentioned above once you think you love a car ask if you can take it out over night to see how it fits in your garage, how it works with your driveway, to show your spouse (or mom/dad). Really any old reason is good enough to ask and spending a little time with the car will help you know if it is the one you want.
Actually, I've driven a Mazda 3 from a car rental company for more than a week and I'm satisfied with the car. All I need to make sure is that the exact car the dealer sells me is good and no hidden charges or pitfalls in the paperwork.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
My guess is, even if I sign the paper saying that I will buy the car at that price and later I change my mind, they can't take legal actions against me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive