Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:20 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times

Advertisements

FYI... when I first saw your post stan All I saw was the below:

Ok, I don't know why you're being so obtuse, but it's a known fact that violent crime rates, bad driving rates, etc, spike in this age group.
This is not some personal affront to you. It's just the truth.

The numbers are sobering when we look at young men. In the U.S., for example, young white males (between ages 14 and 24) represent only 6% of the population, yet commit almost 17% of the murders. For young black males, the numbers are even more alarming (1.2% of the population accounting for 27% of all homicides). Together, these two groups of young men make up just 7% of the population and 45% of the homicides. And, overall, 90% of all violent offenders are male, as are nearly 80% of the victims.

And newsflash...TONS of us live in speed and red light camera land.

So if you edited it to show the stats and I missed it.. my apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I have a problem with me being 25 years old and having testicles automatically means im a danger to eveyone around me. It ia no different than saying because I'm black im going to rob someone. It shows a lack of education and sounds stupid.
You may very well be a stellar individual - and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are.

However, as a group, your peers tend to be idiots. There's not much of any way to deny that.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:24 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
You may very well be a stellar individual - and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are.

However, as a group, your peers tend to be idiots. There's not much of any way to deny that.

If it was the OP's intent to start the thread off by stating these facts and statistics I think there would be far less arguing going on.

She seems ticked off because of something that just happened to her and it so happened to be a young male driver and all of a sudden young male drivers are the only bad drivers.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post

Ok, I don't know why you're being so obtuse, but it's a known fact that violent crime rates, bad driving rates, etc, spike in this age group.

The numbers are sobering when we look at young men. In the U.S., for example, young white males (between ages 14 and 24) represent only 6% of the population, yet commit almost 17% of the murders. For young black males, the numbers are even more alarming (1.2% of the population accounting for 27% of all homicides). Together, these two groups of young men make up just 7% of the population and 45% of the homicides. And, overall, 90% of all violent offenders are male, as are nearly 80% of the victims.

Her stats are probably correct but that first post she made lost all creditability with me.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:25 PM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Maybe I am too old now but I dont remember ever being that foolish when driving. I can almost guarantee that whenever a young dude is behind me he is getting ready to pass.
I am only going the speed limit . What is the point speeding and driving aggressively?
Who are they impressing?

They drive me up the wall today as well but I know for certain that I was every bit as bad or worse.

I was the kid that street raced, Played the music WAY too loud and had 10 people in my car. Thats' just the way it was. Problem is todays kids not only have all of the above but they have 500 radio stations to choose from and their Ipods, Pads and Phones hooked up at the same time.

I was once caught of for 85 in a 30 but got incredibly lucky. the cop that stopped me was my neighbor and hadn't called it in yet. I saw the lights and pulled over.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:00 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
I find young women to be far more reckless drivers and the most dangerous on the road. They are speeders, tailgaters, and swerve from lane to lane, all while they're on their cell phone. It used to be that I could at least be on the lookout for the types of vehicles typically driven by young women, such as Saturns, small Chevys, and Civics. Now that they're becoming moms, I have to watch out for minivans and SUVs, too.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
I was passed in heavy traffic by two young male drivers, actually the last one just missed my bumper by inches, I'm sure, and it must have been some type of tag game because they were obviously together. By the time my heart rate got back to normal and my knees stopped trembling, I saw where a state trooper had BOTH whippersnappers pulled over on the side of the road! Hah!!!
Similar, except they'd run into each other about ten miles down the highway and were pulled off to the side. At least I assume they'd hit each other since there was body damage on one car and no else around.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I go 5 above the speed limit. If you only go the speed limit, expect to get passed. Why do people go 25-30mph when the speed limit is 35 on some of the streets in town? Old fashioned farmer joes with nothing better to do with their time?
Exactly. Why do people get so offended when they are legally passed?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post

Gang-on-gang homicides don't really count. Take those out and premeditated murders are probably randomly distributed across the board.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:43 PM

140 posts, read 239,238 times
A while back, I read a study that while more young people are involved in accidents on an absolute basis, proportionally 60+ drivers are responsible for the most accidents. I wonder if that still holds true.

Anways, don't be too grumpy with the young folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive