Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:07 PM

274 posts, read 1,218,552 times

Advertisements

I would grab the honda civi that may be available and may not be...seller undecided for 2500 but 13 years old as it has 110 on and I know they can go for 20 years as theatre gypsey,s great experience demonstrates.
Of course honda and Toyota are the best but they are way more than 12 k out the door.
I am listening guys though to all your opinions...they are helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonteacher View Post
Thanks guys.....taking it all on.
Ok so we buy cash....no finance....so no debt but we use some savings up.
Kharing......you don,t like the spark...actually we are sold on the sonic now or even the cruze.....they are offering 4500 off on the cruze but thanks for drawing my attention to the good chance they will claw it back...will call the two dealers and check out be door price.
Sounds to me like your time of research & thinking has almost drawn to a close.

Got buy one of these cars. Get the best deal you can on it, and be happy. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
II have to wonder why Nissans are traded in with such low mileage. I thought they were supposed to be good cars..
Two common possibilities. Some people just automatically trade every couple of years. And, a lot of late model used cars come off rental fleets. Or, if it's about three years old, a returned lease.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM

50,793 posts, read 36,486,545 times
IMO a jeep was not the best car to judge by, as their reliability is not the best. When I bought my Acura with 33,000 miles, it came with the balance of factory warranty, and for my own peace of mind I bought an extended warranty as well. This was 9 years ago, and I am still driving that car that I paid $13,000 for, it has 289,000 miles now. I bought it from a place called Auto Lenders which I think is only in NJ, but there are other companies that work the same (Car Max is another) - they sell only one-owner vehicles that have come off lease, and it was no-haggle. When this car finally goes I will definitely go back to them. I don't know why you feel used cars must come from Craiglist, there are plenty you can get with warranties. Do your homework though, if you had looked on Consumer Reports list of recommended used cars, you would NOT have found that jeep on there.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:04 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
$3k off what?? Anyone with a modest knowledge of automotive-related accounting knows that a substantial amount of the book value of a "new" car disappears the minute it's driven off the dealer's property.

I like "disposable cars" -- common models of Ford, Chevy or Dodge produced in sufficient quantities that parts will be easy to find and most independent mechanics will have had some experience with them. Those used for a year or so as rentals are likely thave been driven responsibly by most users, and there's penty of mileage left. Why pay the "fool" price??

Old 08-31-2013, 03:02 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
$3k off what?? Anyone with a modest knowledge of automotive-related accounting knows that a substantial amount of the book value of a "new" car disappears the minute it's driven off the dealer's property.

I like "disposable cars" -- common models of Ford, Chevy or Dodge produced in sufficient quantities that parts will be easy to find and most independent mechanics will have had some experience with them. Those used for a year or so as rentals are likely thave been driven responsibly by most users, and there's penty of mileage left. Why pay the "fool" price??
As far as disposable cars go, BMW's are some of the best cars that aren't made to last.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:14 PM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
If it's not too late, still try to bargain down after the Labor Day special price.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Don't base your decision on the dealers' Labor Day screamer ads "$XXXX OFF this weekend only!!" They'l lmark it up just so they can take off thousands so you can feel like you got a good deal. Research the invoice and then figure out the Out The Door price you'd pay and shop it.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:43 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
If the $3,000 is a dealer incentive, there's no rush. They will give it to you any time if you push. If it's an automaker incentive like a rebate, that might have a time limit. Automakers publish their rebates, so you should be able to figure out whether or not it is legit. Keep in mind if the price break is a rebate, you still have to pay taxes on the full amount. I'm betting the $3K is off the MSRP, and no one with any sense pays MSRP for a car, ever (except if they buy a Saturn, since those are fixed-price). The automaker has all kinds of incentives for dealers, so rest assured even if you pay "invoice" for the car they have made money on the deal.

Do compare prices between dealers. When you buy a new car, you are buying a commodity. Any dealer that sells the make will be able to get it for you. The car will be the same no matter where you buy it. Playing dealers off against one another is one of the few advantages a buyer has over a dealer.

Before you buy, I'd recommend reading this book:

Don't Get Taken Every Time: The Ultimate Guide to Buying or Leasing a Car, in the Showroom or on the Internet: Remar Sutton: 9780143038887: Amazon.com: Books

It's very easy to read, written for the automobile layman and even entertaining. And it will save you a bundle.

Remember what I said in the other thread... A dealer wants as much money as they can get for the car, and they have a lot of experience in selling and negotiation techniques. Most people BUY a car at most every few years. Dealers SELL cars every day. They will use your relative inexperience against you, if they can. But if you do your homework and go into the process with your eyes open, you can come out on top.

Last edited by Hesster; 08-31-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 11:48 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
A bit off topic but.. "a light came up and we had to pay to diagnose"

Places like Autozone will scan your computer and tell you what the check engine could mean for free.. I always do this. Sometimes it's something easy like a gas cap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive