Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 18,216 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info! As of right now we're just dealing with the other drivers insurance company, our company said they will take care if we have any issues with the other company.

We'll have to see what happens as the adjuster will be out on Thursday. I'm freaking out a bit as we were meant to go on vacation in two weeks in this car.

I figure they will lowball us, but I have already pprinted off comps in my area, so I'm ready to deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:47 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
I agree with talking to your insurance company immediately. I'll assume that there was a police report. You need to get a copy as soon as it is available (I'm not sure about there being no cost, that may vary from state to state. I've had to pay a nominal fee for one here in Maryland I think it was $10) Did the other driver get a ticket? Did you get their insurance information? Call and make sure it is a valid insurance policy. That is another reason to get your company involved. If it ends up being an 'uninsured motorist' claim they will be involved anyway.

If the other driver did not get a ticket then make sure you read the police report closely. Make sure it is clear and accurate in every detail. I am curios about the lack of airbag deployment if the lights are on. Did you buy the van new? If so I would want to know how this happened. I'm assuming no one was hurt since you didn't mention it. You might want to let the other insurance company know about the vacation plans and tell them that you expect them to cover a comparable vehicle starting immediately and that you do not plan on having your planned vacation disrupted thru the fault of their client

Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM

We bought the van used less than 2 years ago, and I think we had a carfax stating no accidents.

The driver did get a ticket, we just don't kbiw what for yet (can't get records on holiday) The driver approached the sheriff by saying "I'm sorry, I just creamed this guy"

We must have a comparable car as we have 4 children. My insurance company said juat tell them and they should approve it.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Forgot to mention, I called my insurance company first. We have a claim, but wont use it unless we aren't being treated fairly.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicmarsh81 View Post
My husband was involved in an accident today. The other driver ran a red light and right into my lovely van. I'm not sure how much you can tell by the photo, but it looks pretty bad. We aren't even able to open the passenger side door. I'm not sure why we can't as there is no damage there. The airbags didn't deploy, but the lights are on. Not sure what that even means?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around where we stand.

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. 60,000 miles. Worth around 12-13 by the comparables in my area for sale.

Thanks!
Impossible to tell from the picture. An insurance adjuster will have to look inside it, and figure out what's going on in there.

As for the airbags, it sounds like they failed.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I worked at a body shop we had a good percentage of cars that had front end hits, some very hard, and the bags only went off sometimes. We were amazed sometimes because the whole front of the car would be demolished and the bags never deployed. Not sure why that happens.
What makes me suspicious in this case is that the SRS light on the dash activated after the crash, yet there was no airbag deployment. Is this common in your experience?

Too bad they didn't deploy. That would have added a couple grand more to the damage/repair estimate, thus upping the odds of having it written off so the OP wouldn't be stuck with a "repaired" lemon.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you can't open a door on a side where there's no apparent damage, that's a pretty good indication the frame is bent.
Not necessarily. There is very little space between the front fender, and the front door of a car. If the fender gets broken lose from the frame and pushed back even a quarter of an inch, it can easily jam the door. I've seen it happen a couple of times with vehicles I have driven. A quick temporary fix is to take a screwdriver and gently bend the fender out just a bit. Once the fender is replaced, the door should work again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Even if the vehicle is reparable, it'll probably never be the same again. I'd wager you're better off if it's declared a total loss.
I think thats up to the insurance company to decide if it is a total loss or not. From the picture it looks to me like the biggest problem would be reconstructing the left front headlight assembly, plus replacing the body parts. If there is a lot of engine damage or other internal damage that might complicate things.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
^ Linda brings up some really good points.

This was NOT your husband's fault, and your family should not incur any of the cost for this. Also, note that some (most?) insurance adjusters will try to low-ball you with their settlement. They'll come up with every reason why your vehicle was not worth what it clearly is worth. You do NOT have to accept their low-ball offer!
Maybe that does happen, but I have had exactly the opposite experience. My car was rear-ended. The other party immediately excepted liability. The adjuster was a really nice guy, who gave me a great deal. They paid me almost 2 x the blue book price for my car. That was based on the estimated replacement cost for the same model, plus the sales tax. They let me keep the car. After I got the repairs done and retitled the car, I still had about a $600 or $700 profit. Of course the value of my car probably decreased by the amount too.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 PM

108 posts, read 285,497 times
There is a Television program that is underwritten by one law firm that airs on one CBS affiliate tv station in eastern GA each Sunday night at 11:35pm after the local news.
It is one of those live programs, where they have guest attorneys from other firms as well as attorney(s) from the one firm. It is a sort of public service, live infomercial, I guess you could say.
I don't want to violate CD forum rules and I don't want to endorse any firms or attorneys.
Over there on the youtube, are uploads of many of the previously aired live programs.
Because it follows the late Sunday 11pm news and airs live at 11:35 to about Midnight, it can sometimes due to a CBS Sunday late afternoon major sporting event like MASTERS/BASKETBALL/NFL GAMES/etc come on the air much later than that if say 60minutes began at say 7:45 or 8:24 instead of 7pm.
That is why it may appear like the tv host and panel of attorneys want to be at home in bed, rather than answering live viewer questions. Obviously when time shifted into early Monday morning following news because of long running sporting events, the viewers calling in via telephone asking questions get more nutty based on how late they go on.
The program is called LAW CALL.

If you go to youtube
and then type in
LAW CALL TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS 5-26-13
(you will see an original Feb 12, 2012 program RE-RUN 5-26-13)

LAW CALL THE TRUTH ABOUT TRIAL LAWYERS 1-1-12

The different guest attorneys only practice in GA & SC
as that tv station is in east GA is near the SC/GA border.
SO THE ADVICE GIVEN TO CALLERS IS APPLICABLE TO GA & SC LAWS
THOUGH SOME THINGS MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT BE SIMILAR TO
OTHER STATES, some of the information might be helpful.
Be forewarned that it was a live broadcast so you have live callers
with the usual tv feedback and having to be told to turn down the tv
or things like Mary in Peticoat Junction, you're on the air, Mary are you there
, can you speak up, etc those type of things..

Still mixed among the programs talk and questions from callers, there is some good information
that may be useful to anyone that has any questions on traffic accidents and what trial attorneys are good for...

Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Not necessarily. There is very little space between the front fender, and the front door of a car. If the fender gets broken lose from the frame and pushed back even a quarter of an inch, it can easily jam the door. I've seen it happen a couple of times with vehicles I have driven. A quick temporary fix is to take a screwdriver and gently bend the fender out just a bit. Once the fender is replaced, the door should work again.
I would agree except that the problem is on the drivers side and the door not working is on the passenger side. A bigger concern is that the bags did not deploy in spite of the SRS light being on. I would want to check the owners manual and see what it says the SRS light means. If the bags didn't deploy and they should have I WOULD NEVER TRUST THAT CAR AGAIN.

But NICMARSH it seems like you are doing everything right so far. I've had good luck through several major accidents (mostly involving my kids) with our insurance company so I can't say much bad about them

One time (many years ago now) I had an accident with someone who lied and claimed he had insurance when he hadn't actually bought it yet. He had turned in front of me in our apartment complex and I T-Boned him. Turned his VW Beetle (The original this was before the new bug) into a 2 seater. My Vega (yes I owned a Vega) drove back to my apartment. When I called his 'agent' the next day the agent was surprised because the guy was coming in to sign the insurance contract that afternoon! He had gotten the quote a couple days before and had called that morning and asked if they could start the insurance on the Friday he had talked to him since he had bought a car on Friday evening. When the agent heard about the accident he got his manager and a fraud investigator. When I expressed concern the agent said I shouldn't be affected. I should call my agent report the accident to him and have him call this agent (who was with a different company) if he wanted but that I would be covered by the uninsured motorist coverage that was required in all policies. I ended up doing okay since a couple people I worked with could do body work and painting and I actually made some cash on the deal (Which for an E-4 during the Carter years was definitely helpful)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive