Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,617,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you can't open a door on a side where there's no apparent damage, that's a pretty good indication the frame is bent.
^^this^^

modern cars are designed to transfer impact energy through out the vehicle to reduce the amount of energy absorbed by the passengers. when that happens, just about every panel in the vehicle is affected in one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,162,268 times
When you are in an accident that is severe enough to total your car you need to protect your rights. I advise quickly going to the ER and being checked out even if you have no apparent pain. The reason for this is to document that you were doing what is considered prudent even if there are hopefully no injuries. It also opens the legal door to any future medical claims and puts the accident in a more important category the offenders insurance company can not deny. Never wait several days AFTER an accident to get a medical check because it will hurt your case.PS by creating a medical bill the offending driver will be assigned points which will cost him in future premiums...It may teach him a lesson and at least give him some punishment for the big problem he has caused you...You can not be a nice guy when dealing with insurance companies.Others here have given excellant advice and good luck

Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
This whole thread is a bit of a moot point. Your insurance company will have at least 1 body shop inspect the car, and they'll determine whether or not it's totaled. In most states I think that "point" is 70%, Don - though I could very well be wrong.

I'd guess that the van is "totaled." If the passenger side door isn't opening right, you've got frame damage.

So probably, the only real question is whether or not you want to buy the van back for 10% of the settlement cost, and try to fix it or part it out yourself.
The insurance company will have a adjuster of their own determine the damage and if its totaled; not a body shop.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,841,827 times
Common anything can be fixed today.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Not necessarily.
That's why I hedged my statement instead of making it categorical. But considering the vehicle was T-boned and doors on the opposite side won't open, it's not looking too good.

Quote:
I think thats up to the insurance company to decide if it is a total loss or not.
I don't see where I said otherwise.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 PM

2,341 posts, read 11,967,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The insurance company will have a adjuster of their own determine the damage and if its totaled; not a body shop.
Not where I live.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,965,016 times
Quote:
That's why I hedged my statement instead of making it categorical. But considering the vehicle was T-boned and doors on the opposite side won't open, it's not looking too good.
Yeah, that does sound bad, I agree. It would be interesting to see a view from the other side of the car. But it looks to me like the hood was dislocated about an inch or two toward the passenger side. Which in turn could have dislocated the fender on the passenger side, causing it to jam the door. Accident damage can be weird like that. As I said earlier, it's impossible to tell from this one picture.

Quote:
I don't see where I said otherwise.
Sorry, I thought you were giving the OP advice to declare it a total loss. Which that of course would be up to the insurance company.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,965,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Not where I live.
Which is where? Because that is what an insurance adjuster's job is.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
Quote:
Which is where? Because that is what an insurance adjuster's job is.
Adjusters handle the claim. Appraisers appraise the vehicle. Most insurance company's have "agreements" with certain body shops. If the work is done at these shops, no additional inspection is necessary. If you want to use a shop of your choice, the inspection has to be done at one of those shops, or an appraiser gets sent to your shop of choice. Before any repairs can begin, the vehicle has to be inspected/appraised by a rep of that insurance company. The work can be done anywhere, but the ins company will only pay off of the original estimate, unless additional damage is discovered.

*** Unless you live in Massachusetts. There are no direct repair facility due to the states insane insurance laws

Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,205,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Richards View Post
I know this sounds extremely COMPLICATED...
LOL, If this is complicated, God help them when they have a real challenge. This process you outlined couldn't be any simpler or more straight forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive