Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 AM

8 posts, read 117,715 times

Advertisements

Got distracted and got these deep scratches on my paint from the concrete pole in a tight parking spot....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,615,625 times
That's a very large area. Too big for spot touch ups. You'll probably need to repaint the entire door and at least part of the body. It will not be cheap.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM

33 posts, read 103,772 times
If full on auto body work is out of the question, I would look for a high quality detailer. There may be a fair amount of paint correction that can be done to make the area look better. For instance, a 2 or 3 step compounding and polishing may help if the only the clear coat is marred in spots. The photos appear to show in some areas though, that the scrape goes right through the paint to the primer. Some detailers may be able to airbrush the paint and clear back. It costs nothing to get quotes on auto body repair to make it go away or a detailer to hide it as best as they can.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,591,285 times
That one is going to need a body shop. It was a pretty hard scrape judging from the extra abrasion at the edge of the door and the edge of the quarter panel.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 AM

799 posts, read 2,430,759 times
I use Mike at Cutting Edge Colors for that stuff. He is a reconditioner for dealerships. Most of his work is done on site at dealerships, but he keeps a guy at his shop(I10 and beltway, West side of town) for appointments.

DO NOT go to a traditional body shop. This is too small of a job for them to do efficiently. I bet this can be fixed for no more than $250, same day in and out.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,541,199 times
OUCH, NYC.Driver . . . definitely a toughie.

Naturally a good body shop would be best and, more than likely, the most expensive, however, if that's not feasible right now and you would prefer something more along the lines of a DIY fix . . . you may want to try a Clay Bar Kit.

Good Luck

Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 PM

799 posts, read 2,430,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
I use Mike at Cutting Edge Colors for that stuff. He is a reconditioner for dealerships. Most of his work is done on site at dealerships, but he keeps a guy at his shop(I10 and beltway, West side of town) for appointments.

DO NOT go to a traditional body shop. This is too small of a job for them to do efficiently. I bet this can be fixed for no more than $250, same day in and out.

Sorry guys, forgot I wasnt in my local section. Search for paintless dent repair. This isnt a pdr repair, but many pdr guys also do touch up paint jobs.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:54 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
depends if its scratches into to primer or just paint from pole. If into the primer it will need painting those panel to be done right. Otherwise you can just touchup but its not the same.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:31 PM

9,122 posts, read 14,662,577 times
Honestly, I would try something like Goo Gone and then a light compound like Scratch-X first. Not going to work magic, but it looks like a fair amount of that may be paint transfer from the pole. If so and you can get it off, it will look much much better, even if not perfect.

A good detailer can do it if you don't want to try it yourself. EH can also look and tell you he can't d anything for you if that's the case.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,253,561 times
Those are pretty deep.

That looks like it will require more than just a "topical" solution..

those marks will need to be sanded down and refilled with paint and clear coated and buffed again.

Those scratches look they are right down to the primer, I could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive