Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times

Advertisements

- Rust rust rust (in my case especially because mine are all old!)
- Sitting on the ground and laying on the ground hurts my body
- Cuts
- Getting all sorts of damn fluids on my hands and rest of my body that I have to wash too much and it ruins the skin on my hands
- Taking twice as long to complete something at home than working at a shop on a lift
- My small garage, lack of moving space
- Dark when I work outside
- Tools everywhere on the ground
- Never finishing in time

ARRHH I just am sick of working on my damn cars

Just wanted to vent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i am getting too old an infirm to work on cars these days. i dont have the patience to roll around in the dirt under a car, and even when i have the energy, i would have a very difficult time getting back up. and when i bend over to a fender to work in the engine compartment, i start having back problems.

even with all that, and more, i still like working on cars, i just need better facilities, like a concrete pad and a lift.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Cars these days are ten times more complicated to work on than they were 20 years ago. Except for changing oil and filters and some fluids, most everything is a lot more difficult. And, the easy stuff like oil changing is so cheap now (with a coupon, like $20) it just isn't worth it to do it yourself.

My 87 Toyota I could change the plugs, wires, rotor, and points in 30 easy minutes. In my 97 F-150, it took me a half hour just to FIND all the spark plugs (that's another thing, modern cars don't require some service like changing plugs frequently).

So, it's more difficult to work on cars but it seems less work is needed.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
- Rust rust rust (in my case especially because mine are all old!)
- Sitting on the ground and laying on the ground hurts my body
- Cuts
- Getting all sorts of damn fluids on my hands and rest of my body that I have to wash too much and it ruins the skin on my hands
- Taking twice as long to complete something at home than working at a shop on a lift
- My small garage, lack of moving space
- Dark when I work outside
- Tools everywhere on the ground
- Never finishing in time

ARRHH I just am sick of working on my damn cars

Just wanted to vent

my list is a lot like yours for daily drivers. I have no problem working on project cars and cars with no deadflines. But stick a daily driver deadline on there (it has to get fixed so i can drive it to work tomorrow) and I hate it. Especially in the dead of winter, when there's a project car already torn apart in the garage, so you have to work on the daily out in the cold/snow/ice.

So now the daily drivers are all leased with warranties. If something breaks, or you even need an oil change, call up the service department and get a loaner.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
my list is a lot like yours for daily drivers. I have no problem working on project cars and cars with no deadflines. But stick a daily driver deadline on there (it has to get fixed so i can drive it to work tomorrow) and I hate it. Especially in the dead of winter, when there's a project car already torn apart in the garage, so you have to work on the daily out in the cold/snow/ice.

So now the daily drivers are all leased with warranties. If something breaks, or you even need an oil change, call up the service department and get a loaner.
Without the ice, this is basically my opinion as well. I need to change the alternator on my F150, which is about the simplest thing that could be done, but I keep putting it off. But in that time I've changed the sway bar settings on my GTO twice, to see how it drives differently.

Friday I'm going to help a couple buddies work on the cooling system of a "Lamborghini" (Fiero/V8 swap/accurately dimensioned handbuilt body kit) because it keeps overheating. That alternator will still need to be swapped.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Default Reasons why you HATE working on cars (for those that do)

Gear oil. It's sticky, smelly, won't wash away and it's usually a PITA to change ... I hate the stuff.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Gear oil. It's sticky, smelly, won't wash away and it's usually a PITA to change ... I hate the stuff.
I changed mine a couple months ago, and although I'd read that it really stinks, I had no idea how badly. Fortunately it all went where it was supposed to.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:53 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
The lack of proper tools and no lift.

Add time, and with those three things you could do anything.

With the internet, walkthoughs and manuals are easily available, and so all it is, is following directions.

But yeah, right now my garage is kinda messy, need to reorganize my tools, I need to dump my old oil, I need a new jack and a couple more jack stands, and a couple of other things.

BUT when I change my oil since I bought the filters a long time ago, and since I have everything I need, I can just run down to Wal-Mart and pick up 5qts of synthetic for $25.00 and only take about a half hour of my Saturday morning. A dealer would charge about $70-80 plus I'd probably be waiting an hour if it's busy.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM

556 posts, read 1,227,822 times
Getting everything apart then dreading putting it back together.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Rusted bolts!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive