Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:36 PM

802 posts, read 1,365,609 times

Advertisements

it will last for very long time with proper maintenance and normal driving.
HOWEVER if you drive hard it wont last that long. ive seen new altima with messed up tranny replaced under warranty. seen another 2015 sentra with dead cvt too. and my 2014 civics cvt wasnt the same at 40K miles felt like belt was stretched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 07:42 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
CVTs are garbage. I will not have a car that has one.
Automakers use them because they're cheap to make. They save themselves money and pad their bottom lines.
Actually CVT's are amazing pieces of engineering. You may not prefer them and there are reasons not to but they do their job when used as intended. They are lighter, they squeeze more performance out of low HP engines because they are more efficient. They are lighter witch saves fuel as well.

If you are just driving from point A to B and not towing trailers CVT's are great. Nothing like setting the cruise control at 70 and when you hit a steep grade watch the rpm needle climb slowly up and up and not feel a thing. They are very smooth.

To say they are "garbage" is just uninformed. My older brother just spent over 200K on a John Deere tractor with a CVT transmission. They will be pulling a 10 bottom plow with it.

I drive a 2015 Nissan Rogue AWD SL. Has the 2.5 4 cylinder engine with the CVT. Fantastic car. I got as high as 36 mpg with it on a road trip once. I always get around 30mpg outside of city driving. To me, that is important. I like to use the least possible fuel to get around but not sacrifice safety or comfort. The CVT is ideal for me.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:04 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,246,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Actually CVT's are amazing pieces of engineering. You may not prefer them and there are reasons not to but they do their job when used as intended. They are lighter, they squeeze more performance out of low HP engines because they are more efficient. They are lighter witch saves fuel as well.

If you are just driving from point A to B and not towing trailers CVT's are great. Nothing like setting the cruise control at 70 and when you hit a steep grade watch the rpm needle climb slowly up and up and not feel a thing. They are very smooth.

To say they are "garbage" is just uninformed. My older brother just spent over 200K on a John Deere tractor with a CVT transmission. They will be pulling a 10 bottom plow with it.

I drive a 2015 Nissan Rogue AWD SL. Has the 2.5 4 cylinder engine with the CVT. Fantastic car. I got as high as 36 mpg with it on a road trip once. I always get around 30mpg outside of city driving. To me, that is important. I like to use the least possible fuel to get around but not sacrifice safety or comfort. The CVT is ideal for me.
I have driven many CVTs and stand by my statement that they are garbage.
They're fine if all you care about is fuel economy. That's the very lowest of possible bars.

As far as "used as intended", what the heck is that? Who decides this??
I understand not exceeding a tow rating and adhering to manufacturer's service schedules.
Beyond that the dang thing better hold up... anything less is an utter fail!!

Old 11-24-2016, 11:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
To my knowledge Toyota first used CVTs in 2014, too early to tell if it will impact long term reliability. My wife's 2014 Honda Civic has a CVT an no issues so far. It does no simulate gear shifting and when you slow down you feel a slight 'down shifting bump'.
Wouldn't be surprised if the Toyota-Subaru partnership has gotten Toyota a pretty large amount of data on Subaru's generally successful CVT efforts instead of Toyota starting fro mscratch.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:01 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
Cvt's require more frequent fluid changes from my understanding. My wife's previous vehicle (2012 Nissan Rogue) started experiencing a whine coming from the cvt. Took it into the dealership and after a fluid change the whine was completely gone. The service manager told me that cvt fluid breaks down quicker than conventional auto tranny fluid and suggest that the fluid in cvt's be flushed and filled every 30k miles. Sure enough the whine occurred in my wife's Rogue at 31k miles.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:39 AM

17,119 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Cvt's require more frequent fluid changes from my understanding. My wife's previous vehicle (2012 Nissan Rogue) started experiencing a whine coming from the cvt. Took it into the dealership and after a fluid change the whine was completely gone. The service manager told me that cvt fluid breaks down quicker than conventional auto tranny fluid and suggest that the fluid in cvt's be flushed and filled every 30k miles. Sure enough the whine occurred in my wife's Rogue at 31k miles.
There. You get it. I experienced it once in my 2008 Altima, after driving on it for 70k miles. From then on, changed the fluid roughly every 30k and all was good.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:03 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,678 times
Since I'm a "stick" guy...really hate CVTs. Problem is that cars with manual transmissions are just getting more and more difficult to find here in the US.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:21 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Since I'm a "stick" guy...really hate CVTs. Problem is that cars with manual transmissions are just getting more and more difficult to find here in the US.
When I was shopping for my '16 Accord Sport I asked the sales guy if he had any manuals in stock. He looked at me as if I had 3 heads.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:55 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
When I was shopping for my '16 Accord Sport I asked the sales guy if he had any manuals in stock. He looked at me as if I had 3 heads.
I know! This is why I'm having a hard time changing my 20 year old car. Hard to find something similar in size, practical, and fun to drive. There's a crop of new small SUVs coming out next year. Many are said to have manual transmission so am keeping my fingers crossed. I thought about the automatics that allow you to also shift manually but understand that they are problematic, and not the same feel at all.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
While there is nothing better than a manual transmission, at least to me because I like driving manual, the second best is a fully automatic transmission with enough gears to keep the RPM low. And of course, coupled to a motor than has plenty of power. For example, my wife's 2010 Rav4 V6 is just at or below 2,000 RPM at nearly 70MPH. It has a 5-speed automatic transmission, and is quite good relating to fuel consumption (around 28-30 on the highway). The motor produces 269HP.

CTVs? Not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive