Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times

Advertisements

I thought that my old '97 Accord EX with V-tec and manual shift would have made a good "ricer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:03 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I like them, when done well, like this:

or this:

I'm a big fan of the Pro Touring movement, which takes older cars and makes them handle and perform like modern supercars. In many cases, that means way bigger brakes, which necessitate bigger wheels and lower profile tires.

Those aren't so bad compared to some I've seen but still not to my taste

What I'm talking about are cars like this:

Down On the Alameda Street: 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible Donk | The Truth About Cars

Give me period mags any day at least as far as looks go.
You can do a decent disc brake upgrade on most driver resto mod type cars without going crazy inappropriate on the wheel size.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight_8 View Post
Cept a carb and intake wasn't $300 in 1963 ACE?????
And minimum wage was 52 cents.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Quote:
Not as many as you claim, that's for sure. A 4bbl carb and intake was hours worth of work and cheap back then. Lose the stock mufflers and pipes...you are starting to get somewhere now. It was much easier to build power back then instead of now. You could do it in your own driveway in an afternoon with a 90 piece mechanics toolset as well.
I bought a plug-n-play tuner for my car and gave it a nice HP boost without even touching a screwdriver, much less popping the hood. I also added an intake to my turbo car in about 15 minutes and gave another nice boost to it. That did require a socket set at least.

With that said, I don't think your statement is necessarily accurate.

I'd say it was less intimidating to modify a car back in the muscle car days than it is today in terms of what you were dealing with. Obviously with a computer controlling air/fuel/boost (in my case) in today's car it's a much different skill set necessary than what it was when you adjusted a carb, did some intake work or exhaust mods to make more power.

I do love those Pro Touring cars posted earlier in this thread. Definitely an idea for a project later on, to take an older car like that and bring it into the 21st century. Some would absolutely be disgusted by it but to each their own!

Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
What is the appeal of ricing a car?
Absolutely nothing!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
LOL He even posts the same pictures that he used with his previous screen names. Sad.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:

a bunch of pictures

I'm confused, am I suppose to now post a bunch of pics of datalogs detailing fuel trims, knock retard, air/fuel ratio, fuel pressure, etc. or can I just post a pic of my e-penis? Literally posting pictures of car parts validates nothing you were saying previously. But, nice pictures of car parts?

Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,854 times
Quote:
My point.....

Pull that engine in that 2013-14 Import.......tear it ALL down to the bare block by YOURSELF in your driveway and garage. Put it back together and tune that SOB yourself at home.

'Nuff said......

Apparently not, since I don't see your point.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Old 10-20-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
My point.....

Pull that engine in that 2013-14 Import.......tear it ALL down to the bare block by YOURSELF in your driveway and garage. Put it back together and tune that SOB yourself at home.

'Nuff said......

So your original point was that it was easier to add HP back then than it is now. And then you showed a bunch of pictures of parts. And now you want to tear down an engine to the block and rebuild it. Is this all to reinforce your point that THAT is easier?

I will agree with you on this part though, the engineers back then didn't optimize (or even come close in most cases) the engine they were building and left a lot of HP laying around for the wrench turner to find.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:25 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
When I wanted another 80hp and 100 ft lbs of torque, all I had to do was plug my laptop into the diagnostic port of my car and upload a new engine parameter file.

It might have taken a whole minute. Not going to beat that with any old school modifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive