Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 02:13 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,026,039 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at leasing a car, and an ad in the paper at Dealer A says $XXX per month with $0 due at signing, which seemed too good to be true. I went down to Dealer A and they pretty much confirmed the ad, have the vehicle in stock, etc. But we never actually got down to "the table" where they present the final costs. I left them my phone number and went to other dealerships.

So I go to Dealer B and tell them about the deal at Dealer A, and they say that's way too low and that Dealer A isn't telling you about all kinds of fees they're planning on charging me.

So, I ask, other than tax (of course), what other fees could Dealer A spring on me at the last minute, thus making the deal too good to be true? Like what else is there, I've heard of a bank fee but that sounds made up? Obviously I'll pay for registration on the spot and the 1st month's payment of the quoted $XXX per month + tax. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
Not sure I can help you, but we did a $xxx monthly price we zero down. My husband is an engineer and sat down with the finance guys and made them go over every single number on the sheet, where it came from, etc, before signing anything.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
With you living in California there could be a number of "extra" fees applied. When the dealer say 0 due at signing, it means that the dealer doesn't require a down payment on the lease, however, they can charge what is called "doc fees" they charge you to fill out the paper work. They may charge you "shipping and handling" fees. They may also add in "dealer prep" charges. In California the doc fees are set at 80.00. You can try and negotiate with the dealer on the added fees. Good luck

Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Not sure I can help you, but we did a $xxx monthly price we zero down. My husband is an engineer and sat down with the finance guys and made them go over every single number on the sheet, where it came from, etc, before signing anything.
Thanks, yeah I would definitely look over each number before signing. But I'm just wondering what else they could spring on me (bait & switch). If the ad says $250/month + tax, why would it not be that? I have kind of a poor opinion of these car salesmen/saleswomen types (though, to be honest, they've been pretty fair up to this point), and am always wary about their tactics.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:12 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Thanks, yeah I would definitely look over each number before signing. But I'm just wondering what else they could spring on me (bait & switch). If the ad says $250/month + tax, why would it not be that? I have kind of a poor opinion of these car salesmen/saleswomen types (though, to be honest, they've been pretty fair up to this point), and am always wary about their tactics.
One of the things to also look at, in the ad did it reference a specific lot number, this is typical of a number of dealerships just to get you on to the lot. Then they will tell you that this lot number has already been sold but they will work with you on another car.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
With you living in California there could be a number of "extra" fees applied. When the dealer say 0 due at signing, it means that the dealer doesn't require a down payment on the lease, however, they can charge what is called "doc fees" they charge you to fill out the paper work. They may charge you "shipping and handling" fees. They may also add in "dealer prep" charges. In California the doc fees are set at 80.00. You can try and negotiate with the dealer on the added fees. Good luck
Thanks Terry, and you're right, I just scanned the newspaper ad. The fine print at the bottom reads "All advertised prices exclude government fees and taxes, any finance charges, any electronic filing charge, $80 dealer document processing charge, and any emission testing charge."

So, any rough idea how much the electronic filing charge and emission testing charge are?

Old 02-22-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
One of the things to also look at, in the ad did it reference a specific lot number, this is typical of a number of dealerships just to get you on to the lot. Then they will tell you that this lot number has already been sold but they will work with you on another car.
Hmm, interesting stuff. I don't see lot number reference, but I'll continue scanning this thing.

I did just call the dealership though, and the sales guy said that the emission testing charge wouldn't apply to a new car. But he wasn't too clear about the other charges, obviously they're going to say those charges are "minor".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive