Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,311,987 times

Advertisements

As a business owner you can write off a percentage of the purchase price of a sedan as a company vehicle. If you opt for a SUV which is considered a truck by the IRS you can write off the entire purchase price.
That is why the popularity of Suv's and pickups. especially decked out crew cab pickups for business owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,387,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I was just wondering why big pick-ups are so popular paricularly in the South.
Most of these people tend to be dudes driving them mostly younger. I can understand if you needed to use them for utiliity often but majority of times I see the bed is empty.
From what I understand the MPG is horrible on those things.
I have a 4WD Pickup that I drive daily to work.
It gets the same MPG city as my '06 VW Jetta

I bought it when I lived in the North; in Chicago.
Now I live in the South.

I plan on using it to tow a jetski.
I plan on putting 31" tires on it.
I won't be lifting it.
I plan on off-roading it only slightly, no major rock crawling.
I plan on putting steel bumpers, fog/driving lights, and maybe a winch on it.
I have also used it to haul couches, beds, tables, and during 2 moves.

Northerner, Southerner, supermodel, New Yawka, Cali dude, mountain man, Mexicano, SoBe s1ut, co-worker. I don't care what others think of how I use my vehicle.
I did not seek someone who understood the appeal before I bought any of my vehicles. I bought them because they appeal to me.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:42 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,211,272 times
Quote:
Most of these people tend to be dudes driving them mostly younger. I can understand if you needed to use them for utiliity often but majority of times I see the bed is empty.
I think people feel safer in something big and boxy, as opposed to something like a roller skate.

Which would I rather be in, than one of these?

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thed...art-car-lg.jpg

Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,896,257 times
Just because a truck owner is not constantly towing a massive trailer with an overflowing bed doesn't mean they do not use their truck for it's intended purpose. They just use it as their daily vehicle as well.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:01 PM

5,340 posts, read 14,084,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
M.

His is a two wheel drive, but I have never understood why people in the southern states buy 4 wheel drive trucks, we have no snow here, and unless you are offroading what is the point ?

Don
Hunting, living in the country where it might be muddy, pulling a large boat up a steep ramp, travelling across country where it does snow are just a few.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM

9,612 posts, read 21,161,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Just because a truck owner is not constantly towing a massive trailer with an overflowing bed doesn't mean they do not use their truck for it's intended purpose. They just use it as their daily vehicle as well.
Exactly. When I was young and gas was cheap my only vehicle was a truck because my primary form of recreation was horseback riding. Every weekend that the weather was decent I used my truck to pull a trailer to some state park or other trail system to ride, plus I used if frequently to haul hay. 95% of the time, though, it was empty and not pulling anything because it was the only vehicle i had to drive back and forth to work. just because I didn't need a truck all the time doesn't mean I didn't need a truck at all.

Today, with gas pushing $4 a gallon in my area and with the price of a "nice" truck often twice that of a comparable car, I drive a nice car back and forth to work and leave my older pickup parked except when I really need it.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,893,722 times
Why did Marty Mcfly want that black 4x4? Because it looked awesome.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM

3,653 posts, read 4,784,182 times
I grew up in the suburban DC area and all my vehicles were the SUV's of the day. Broncos and cherokees based on the full sized 1/2 ton pick-ups. I have since moved and have gone to quad cab pick ups as my choice. Why? I like them. I have always liked trucks. I like having 4 wheel drive as well and oversize tires. Why? Once again, that's what I like. There is no need to justify it to anyone.

I have said it before and will say it again. The newer full sized trucks and truck based SUV's are the full sized sedans and station wagons of the past. It seems people actually like the full sized vehicles even though the media will say otherwise.

I also remember when growing up some people kind of looked down on trucks. They thought they weren't comfortable. All trucks had was a big open bed and a cab that could sit 3 people. The crew cabs of the time were more of a pure work truck. I have always liked trucks but even I didn't care much for the crew cabs of those days. I liked the super cab fords but the back was more for storage only and not very comfortable for seating. Then came the modern quad cab trucks with rear doors that actually opened. back seats you could sit in. Slightly shorter beds so you could have the extra cab space and not be any longer then a standard pick-up. Every comfort imaginable became available. The styling became modern and appealing for even non-truck people. IFS has become the norm so even full sized 4X4's ride nice. Now I'm seeing people who despised trucks in the past driving them now. I think with the demise of the full sized station wagon and the addition of modern quad cabs people have realized the true versatility of a pick up as a family vehicle. Not everybody wants a tiny roller skate.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 PM

28,980 posts, read 14,317,975 times
Quote:
I drove one from 2001 to roughly 2009. 3/4 ton, quad cab short bed. It wasn't lifted but sat pretty high from the factory. It was fun to drive, towed my boat and 4 place snowmobile trailer great and if I kept it close to the speed limit would get 21mpg... not too bad for a #6500 truck. I ended up replacing it with an even bigger "station wagon" a Ford Excursion.. I guess if you have to ask you won't get it. I do switch back to a small commuter car on occasion though.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,610 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Whats the appeal of big pick-ups?

Utility,
power
rugged
ability to use to explore off-road
good resale
cool...

Sounds like everything a teenage / young guy might like.

I used mine to haul: Welder-Genset, Bikes, Motorcycles, Wood, Friends, Hay, Horses, Cows, Couches, Frig, Coolers... & 160 gal fuel tank (during 1970's fuel crisis).

I currently use it for same. Tho not too often since it only gets 22mpg (vs 50 mpg for StealthRabbit, or any number of many vintage MC's)

BTW,,, the ONLY person I recognized at 40th HS reunion was the guy that drove to picnic in his 1951 Power Wagon (that he drove 40 yrs ago). I came on my 40 yr old motorcycle. - some folks never change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive