Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times

Advertisements

I knew they were stupid, but didn't realize the extent of this stupidity...

Anyway I briefly saw a billboard about 11 teens dying each day from texting while driving, then just googled it, and found this...

Texting and Driving Statistics

What that web page says is quite scary to say the least. I think I might do a minimal amount of driving for a couple of years until Darwin gets these people off the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
From what I understand, you can't even talk on a cell anymore unless it's hands free in Illinois.

Distracted driving is dangerous. Why are car companies putting screens to watch in the middle of their dashboards now?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Not saying it isnt ture, but a website called textinganddrivingsafety might be a bit biased

Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I knew they were stupid, but didn't realize the extent of this stupidity...

Anyway I briefly saw a billboard about 11 teens dying each day from texting while driving, then just googled it, and found this...

Texting and Driving Statistics

What that web page says is quite scary to say the least. I think I might do a minimal amount of driving for a couple of years until Darwin gets these people off the road.
Sadly, this is not a surprise. At all.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
A few years ago, having personally experienced a relatively minor Rear-End Fender Bender directly caused by a Chatty Cathy on her Cell Phone (mid 40's to 50's Real Estate Agent) . . . I always, repeat ALWAYS, leave my cell phone in my rear pocket while driving.

Luckily there was no damage to my solid old CJ-7 but her relatively new Lexus SUV was 'out of commission" and needed to be towed. One must wonder if that idiotic phone call was that important.

Texting is bad but probably not any worse than "anal" chit chatting.

Definitely . . . NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
I know of one person in my town who's got a ticket for it. $400. They could rake in a pile of money towards the budget deficit here just by diligently enforcing the law (seems every third driver is on their cell phone).

Old 09-07-2013, 12:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Probably playing fast and loose with statistics. In the USA, about 100 people per day die in car crashes. Only 50 of those are the driver. Distraction is listed as a contributing cause in 16% of them, which is eight per day. Of ALL ages, so much less than eight who are teenagers, considering that there are many ways that people of all ages can be distracted. In order for this statistic to be true, almost all distracted drivers would have to be texting teenagers, which is extremely improbable, and even then would be only eight per day. I bet adults texting while driving outnumber teenagers texting while driving abd the nunber of teenage drivers who are killed while texting in the drivers seat of a moving car is closer to two per day.

Car Crash Fatality Statistics | Statistic Brain

What I need explained to me is why people text in the first place. I can't imagine when I was a kid on the telephone, thinking it would be a great idea to go back to the telegraph and Morse Code. Nor, why, when driving my dad's car to the drug store, I needed to send a telegram to my friends.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-07-2013 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,856 times
Kids are just emulating their parents. Their parents are too insecure to be disconnected for even a moment from others, and that's the kind of kids they raise. This will continue to happen, sadly. Perhaps it is an unpleasant but necessary prophylactic protection of the gene pool.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
The site in the OP does not back up its stats with any cites. Read the "Q&A" and "About Us" tabs...

For what it's worth, the CDC says 9 people (of all ages) are killed per day due to "distracted driving." Texting is only one of a multitude of things that cause drivers to be distracted.

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafet...acted_driving/

I am 100 percent against anyone texting while behind the wheel, don't get me wrong. But using inflated and misleading statistics and hyperbole to get a point across, no matter how important, is dishonest IMHO. I wouldn't give that business (they refer to themselves as a business, selling materials to promote not texting and driving) any credibility on those grounds.

Other than that, the message is a good one. I'm astonished by how many people I see texting while driving every day. Often easy to spot because of how they're driving, or being inattentive at lights etc. Offenders seem to cover just about every age and demographic, too.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
For such an unnecessary activity . . . ONE DEATH / INJURY IS TOO MANY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive