Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times

Advertisements

2010 Nissan Maxima with about 55k in miles

I have a strange squealing issue that I can't seem to find information on after some research on the Internet. Any advice that you can provide would be most appreciated!

1. The squeal only happens at around 20-30mph upon braking. The squeal disappears once I am in the 0-20mph zone.

2. The squeal happens often, but not all the time. I'd say it will squeal about 50% to 75% of the time.

3. The squeal only happens if I am normally braking (e.g. coming to a stop at a traffic light). The squeal does NOT happen with hard braking (e.g. going from 55mph to 0mph).

4. At last check a few months ago, I still have about 50% brake pad life.

5. I have tried to listen and find out which tire this squeal is coming from, but I can't seem to pinpoint it while having the windows down. If I had to guess, I'd say Driver Side Front Wheel.

FWIW, I bought my car used last year at around 43k miles from CarMax. Perhaps CarMax replaced the pads but they used cheap metallic brakes?

Also, I am not that handy with cars. However, I wonder if the brake calipers need basic lubricating, though I'd assume that it would always squeal if it needed lubricating?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Calipers themselves don't make noise. In fact, even the rotor and pad surfaces are usually not what cause noise, it's the pad backing against the caliper that does.

I'd say replace your brake shims if you have any, or put some anti squeal on the backs of the pads, starting with the wheel you think is the most likely culprit.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I'll take your word pads are at 50%.
If you have glazed rotors, they will squeal. It's build up on rotors and pads that is catching and making high pitched noise. I had this on my Camry and fixed it by de-glazing rotors.
Softer pads will not produce this effect, but will get your rotors dirty in 2 weeks.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
If the rotors are glazed and they squeak. It could be the drivers fault.

Some Brake rotors are manufactured too thin and get too hot and things happen to them, Other times the pads are garbage.

If youre a driver who rides the brakes on the highway and on hill this could cause glazing. constant light usage and dragging the pads on the rotors makes a ton of heat.

Use the brakes, or dont use the brakes.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Brake dust will cause squealing.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
If the rotors are glazed and they squeak. It could be the drivers fault.

Some Brake rotors are manufactured too thin and get too hot and things happen to them, Other times the pads are garbage.

If youre a driver who rides the brakes on the highway and on hill this could cause glazing. constant light usage and dragging the pads on the rotors makes a ton of heat.

Use the brakes, or dont use the brakes.
As you know from living in Connecticut, brake usage is heavier here due to frequent congested volume (e.g. constant stop-and-go in rush hour). However, shouldn't the rotor glazing happen on ALL wheels (and thus, a squeal would emit from all four wheels)?

The squealing has been going on for over a year, and again, life is still at 50% as of a few months ago. In any case, I will still bring this into an indy shop for evaluation. The squealing is very annoying and is a comfort-issue more than anything.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
On my Camry, only 2 out of 4 squealed, though all 4 were glazed. Even few shots of brake cleaner help, though temporarily.

Truly, it's pads bedding issue. Pads and rotors were never properly bedded, resulting in uneven wear and contact pattern.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
The front two rotors do most of the work. Theres science behind it but Im going to keep it simple.

If youve ever noticed how on some cars, the front wheels are all dusty and dirty and the back wheels are cleaner? More dust, more heat and so on...

Youll probably need new front rotors. It seems like having rotors re ground to be flush are a thing of the past.

When you get new rotors and pads, you need to seat the pads to the rotors in order to get the most out of everything. This is usually done by rapidly accelerating to say 30 mph and applying the brakes pretty hard. However that method may be phased out by now...?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Ever since I posted this thread, I've been paying more attention to this squeal.

• It only happens after a cold start (e.g. car has been sitting idle for at least a few hours while I am at work, or overnight while I am sleeping).
  • After about 5-10 minutes of driving, the squeal goes away.
  • Again, squeal only happens when I am braking and while the tachometer shows 20-30mph. Once tachometer dips below 20mph, squeal goes away.
  • The squeal does seem to be coming from the driver side front wheel.
Any thoughts now that I've narrowed down the issue?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Sigh. I already told you what will most likely fix it, and it's cheap to do as well. Go to any autoparts store and buy some of this:

Brake Maintenance & Repair : Permatex® Disc Brake Quiet

If that doesn't work, THEN you start messing with the pads themselves. All this talk about glazing and what not is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive