Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Blizzak tires on my wife's Rav 4. Wheels, tires, sensors, etc., from "tirerack." The wheels cost around $60.00 each, and look quite nice:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 09:52 AM

13 posts, read 19,955 times
I am on Michelin Xices, and on snow they've been great. On ice, on the other hand, I've wondered if they're any better than all-season tires. Mine will get packed with snow, and then if I hit a sheet of ice, I don't think there's much more traction between my tires and the ice than there would be for any other tire that's covered with snow while rolling over a sheet of ice. Good thing for electronic stability control and ABS. I would recommend STUDDED TIRES ONLY for drivers having to navigate ice-covered hills. For more snow, though, any of the aforementioned studless models should suffice. Good for me, though, that the town I'm in is largely flat.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:37 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I bought snow tires once. Huge waste of money. All season tires that come with the vehicle suit me just fine. I have no problems in winter conditions. Best of all, I don't have to change my tires twice a year.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:14 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I bought snow tires once. Huge waste of money. All season tires that come with the vehicle suit me just fine. I have no problems in winter conditions. Best of all, I don't have to change my tires twice a year.
Youtube video after Youtube video....Tirerack comparison after Tirerack comparison says your assessment is incorrect.. There are localities where law mandates the usage of snow tires....for a reason...they work when A/S tires cause accidents.

Science is science and winter tires out perform all seasons without question. While you think your A/S tires do just fine I don't think you will find a shred of solid proof showing an A/S outdoing a dedicated winter tire in winter conditions.

Heck, winter tires brake better on frigid/cold/dry pavement than A/S tires do.

Now, not all winter tires are the same in terms of performance. Maybe you got a poor preforming set of four?

Last edited by wankel7; 01-17-2016 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 02:43 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
^^^ Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive