Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:59 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,368 times

Advertisements

I would say a stout "NO" to any Chrysler product from that era.

GM - had crappy interiors and intake manifold gaskets that leaked, but othewise pretty good in the powertrane department.

Ford - Good interiors, but FWD transaxle problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
I've only had one from that era, a 2004 Grand Caravan. Still going strong at 208,000 miles with nothing more than routine maintenance.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,179,321 times
Yes, but be sure to research the individual car you are getting.

Stick with Ford or GM. Chryslers are likely to be unreliable. (Of course, you could get lucky)

All the models you listed in the original post should be fine.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:19 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I have always owned American cars(88 Corsica, 95 Taurus, 00 Taurus, 06 Impala, 09 G6), so I dont know really know if the whole foreign cars being more reliable is just biased opinion or truth. I get tired of always repairing things and wonder if Honda/Nissan/Toyota have the same problems.

I hear so many horror stories about GM 3.8 Intake manifolds failing, random transmissions issues from Chrylers, Ford, GM's and don't hear as much about japaneses cares with these issues, but I also seem to notice people with foreign cars dont bring up issues when they have them and will list 2-4 major things they replaced, but say their car is very reliable.

While looking for a backup car, its like the following cars im about to list have the best prices. Would you buy a 2001-2004 Taurus/Sable, Impala, Regal, Grand Prix, Malibu, Intrigue, Lincoln LS, etc. vs a Japanese midsized competitor??

Budget will be 3-4000.

You know, it's old beat up question, that will lead to nothing. I know at least one Taurus that ran into 156 000 miles with allegedly NO issues whatsoever. Then again, I owned many Japanese cars that ran into almost 300 000 with only minor issues.
I had 2 Fords and one was total pos, and one was half way there. Reliability wise, not to mention retarded design.
So far, every American make I had was a repair headache. Every Japanese one - basically none at all.
STATISTICALLY speaking, certain Japanese vehicles have higher reliability rating and hold it for years and years.
Unfortunately, in the above mentioned budget, you will not buy a good Japanese make. Truly, as you apparently are shopping for a large car (Why?) they don't even make them. I don't think, you will have any choice but to go domestic. Simply learn how to repair cars. You can't even buy a low mileage Civic for the money you plan.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
Absolutely not! I wouldn't buy a new Detroit car.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:52 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
2000-2004 Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Grand Marquis or Lincoln Towncar is a great car. Just take a look around and you notice they are one of the most reliable cars around.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:08 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,854,371 times
Quote:
I have always owned American cars(88 Corsica, 95 Taurus, 00 Taurus, 06 Impala, 09 G6), so I dont know really know if the whole foreign cars being more reliable is just biased opinion or truth. I get tired of always repairing things and wonder if Honda/Nissan/Toyota have the same problems.

I hear so many horror stories about GM 3.8 Intake manifolds failing, random transmissions issues from Chrylers, Ford, GM's and don't hear as much about japaneses cares with these issues, but I also seem to notice people with foreign cars dont bring up issues when they have them and will list 2-4 major things they replaced, but say their car is very reliable.

While looking for a backup car, its like the following cars im about to list have the best prices. Would you buy a 2001-2004 Taurus/Sable, Impala, Regal, Grand Prix, Malibu, Intrigue, Lincoln LS, etc. vs a Japanese midsized competitor??

Budget will be 3-4000.
All cars can have issues. 2000-04 Acura CLs (automatics) had transmission failures starting as early as 20k miles due to a poori internal design. And those transmissions were VERY expen$ive to have rebuilt.

Of the group you listed, I think I would try to find a Lincoln LS. They were the most expensive of that group, and generally wear well. The bonus would be if you found an older (55+) owner who had the car maintained at the dealership. I owned a 2004 LS V8 for a few years, and it was a very solid performer. It might be a stretch to get one for $4000, unless you are willing to buy one with higher mileage.

They had some quirks, though, so be sure to do your homework. And be sure to run a Carfax as well, along with a pre-purchase inspection at a Lincoln dealer. I think if you find the right one, you'll be very pleased with the vehicle.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:44 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Some of the "American" automobiles from that era were not actually made in Detroit, but Mexico. I'm not sure how many cars are still manufactured in Detroit, I think the Corvette and the Camaro are.

Also, some Japanese automobiles, like Toyota and Nissan, are actually made in Tennessee.

If I were to buy a used vehicle from 2000-2004, my first preference would be either Toyota or Nissan. I've known a number of people with such vehicles, not from the 2000-2004 model years, but older, with over 200,000 miles, and they've always sworn by them. I also own two Nissans (2001 Xterra SUV and 2004 Frontier truck) and I'm happy with both of them.

Maintenance is the key factor to making vehicles last, regardless of the brand, but I think Japanese brands tend to be more reliable than the Big 3 brands, not just in the engine and drivetrain, but in other components, like doors and window mechanism components, electrical systems, A/C, etc.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 PM

64 posts, read 133,936 times
Quote:

Budget will be 3-4000.
I have made the switch from "American" to Toyota and will never go back. It is not overrated, especially dealing with cars over 9 yrs old. My two toyotas ('00 230k & '03 130k) still drive like new. The '00 is still on the original clutch and water pump at 230k. I'm most impressed by the quality of the steering,brakes, and suspension components. The parts just don't wear like the parts on the Ford and Dodge I owned.

If you stick with the big 3 from this era, I'd really consider the crown vic. Tons of parts out there. It's proven. It's reliable. And you can find one in your price range.

I will say that NEW vehicles are on a much more level playing field. Especially Ford.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:24 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,039,116 times
Oddly enough, I'm a fan of the early Focus, with the DOHC engine. Not only are they very reliable, they're easy to work on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive