Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times

Advertisements

The autobahn is paid for via fuel taxes. While the autobahn itself doesn't have speed cameras, some of the local roads leading off the autobahn into a city center could be full of speed cameras & have an abnormally low speed limit. I encountered such a road in Stuttgart driving into Stuttgart Zentrum & my German friend I was driving with said that everyone was going so slow because of the cameras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Just try doing a bonzai run down the Autobahn any more and see if you can go more than 3 minutes without having to get on the brakes.
While true for a lot of of places there are also lots of places where the Autobahn is pretty wide open. Lots of the A9 from Munich to Berlin for example. I made Berlin - Frankfurt in under 4 hours late one night in my work Volvo V70 going 210-220kmh for long streches. I did get a bit lucky, once or twice I did not realize I was in a speed limit zone until I saw the end speed limit sign. It is freaky at first getting used to doing over 200kmh past a police car. I have never been more than 250 and that seemed pretty fast. I have been going like 220 and had cars come up flashing there lights and just had time to move over when they blew by me like I was standing still.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:45 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
The autobahn is paid for via fuel taxes. While the autobahn itself doesn't have speed cameras, some of the local roads leading off the autobahn into a city center could be full of speed cameras & have an abnormally low speed limit. I encountered such a road in Stuttgart driving into Stuttgart Zentrum & my German friend I was driving with said that everyone was going so slow because of the cameras.
The Autobahns have plenty of speed cameras in the restricted areas.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 AM

347 posts, read 650,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Funny thing you mention this. Last summer I drove in Germany from Berlin to Frankfurt, to Munich, to Dresden, and back to Berlin and didn't hit a single toll.... or speed trap for all it matters.
Quote:
Yes, and how much are the fuel taxes here in the U.S., and how much are the fuel taxes in Germany? So let's say a politician calls for raising the fuel taxes here to German levels. I'm guessing you two are going to be the first ones to get on board with such a proposal, no?

Since we're clearly never going to raise our fuel taxes to European levels any time soon, the only way to feasibly fund the construction of autobahns and fastidious maintenance of their road surfaces is through tolls. End of story. Think of it as a "Lexus Lane", but for a whole highway.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post
Yes, and how much are the fuel taxes here in the U.S., and how much are the fuel taxes in Germany? So let's say a politician calls for raising the fuel taxes here to German levels. I'm guessing you two are going to be the first ones to get on board with such a proposal, no?

Since we're clearly never going to raise our fuel taxes to European levels any time soon, the only way to feasibly fund the construction of autobahns and fastidious maintenance of their road surfaces is through tolls. End of story. Think of it as a "Lexus Lane", but for a whole highway.
Perhaps we should also ask what it costs for Germans to get a drivers' license.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:01 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Perhaps we should also ask what it costs for Germans to get a drivers' license.
Several months, a couple of exams & over 1,000 euros.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Several months, a couple of exams & over 1,000 euros.
I think it's closer to $1500 Euros. Maybe even more.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post

The Pennsylvania Turnpike has hefty tolls and generally poor road conditions. Paying tolls does not guarantee good roads.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:01 AM

347 posts, read 650,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The Pennsylvania Turnpike has hefty tolls and generally poor road conditions. Paying tolls does not guarantee good roads.
I never said it did. I only said that the only politically feasible way to fund an autobahn and the good road conditions it requires is through tolling.

Last edited by urban analysis therapist; 11-19-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Much of the US infrastructure isn't in good enough shape to handle high speeds like in Germany. I just drove through Utah and where I70 has potholes driving into Utah it's not 80mph it's 70-75 tops. The parts that were 80 the road was in good shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive