U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM

13,175 posts, read 15,515,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Until the transmission stops working! I don't know of Fords, Mazada's or Chevy's to go the long haul like Hondas and Toyotas. But I also want to have options should my circumstances drastically change.
Subaru.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM

470 posts, read 1,459,754 times
If you loved your Fit I would suggest getting another. Though if you are in a snowy climate you really shoul have a dedicated set of snow tires. I run them on every car I have and never had a problem in the snow. All-season tires should really be called All-season-except-in-snow-tires.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 PM

5,229 posts, read 13,455,004 times
Quote:
Until the transmission stops working! I don't know of Fords, Mazada's or Chevy's to go the long haul like Hondas and Toyotas.
Sure they do. And they have for years. No reason other than bias to not look at them anymore.

We live wirth a fairly mature market, where ther are no truly bad cars anymore and even the worst modern car is better than the best of 5-10 years ago.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,177,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Subaru.
This. Subaru Imprezza seems like the best choice for the OP.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:42 AM

11,274 posts, read 12,927,417 times
I know plenty of people here in Vermont who drive Civics or other small cars, even Fits, without too much trouble. The most important thing is to have snow tires on all four wheels. If you didn't have them before I would say that explains your trouble in snow, not the car you were driving.

Nevertheless, we drove Subarus for many years, and a Subaru with four good snow tires will make you very comfortable on the road. You'll pay a mileage penalty, but lots of people think it's worth it.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,758,474 times
Quote:
Until the transmission stops working! I don't know of Fords, Mazada's or Chevy's to go the long haul like Hondas and Toyotas. But I also want to have options should my circumstances drastically change.
Understandable, good luck!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:33 AM

2,896 posts, read 5,214,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If you liked it, get another Fit and get real winter tires for snowy conditions. With a full set of four Blizzaks or similar tires, you can get through any winter conditions in that car.

A Civic will be the same as a Fit for winter driving, as will an Accord or Corolla or Camry, or... Tires are really what make the difference in any FWD (or RWD car).
Agree 100%. Snow tires and you are set. Also, your Fit should not have made that sound. I have a 2009 Fit (80K miles) and ownership has been hassle free.

In terms of alternatives, I'd check out a Fiesta/ Focus or the 2014 (not 2013) Mazda3. The new one looks awesome, IMO.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:54 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,492,006 times
Thank you all for your feedback.

Quote:
This. Subaru Imprezza seems like the best choice for the OP.
I've heard some good things about Subaru. I will check them out as well. Definitely going to get snow tires on whatever I end up with, so I can continue to maintain excellent gas mileage and not have to invest in a four wheel drive.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,472,049 times
You might want to consider test driving an AWD Toyota Rav4.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM

10,918 posts, read 28,859,284 times
If you want a smaller upscale sedan that has reliability out of warranty and a good set of features, I would also cross-shop the Acura ILX in addition to the Civic. Loaded the Civic will be a few thousand less than the ILX, but the ILX does offer more of an upscale feel. The platform is the same as the Civic, but the vehicle should perform well in snow with the right tires. Unfortunately, the smallest Acura with AWD is the TL, likely a bit larger than what you are considering, but it's a compelling vehicle. You could likely find a CPO TL with AWD that would be in the same price range as a loaded Civic or ILX.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive