Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,313 times

Advertisements

When I drive, I just sit back in amazement at how aggressive people are. We're in moderately heavy traffic and people weave in and out of lanes to get to their destination maybe two minutes faster? I wonder how there are not more accidents considering the way people tailgate, changes lanes way too aggressively, ignore traffic rules, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 02:50 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
You know I forgot to mention that driver performance also reflects their personality.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 AM

358 posts, read 886,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
When I drive, I just sit back in amazement at how aggressive people are. We're in moderately heavy traffic and people weave in and out of lanes to get to their destination maybe two minutes faster? I wonder how there are not more accidents considering the way people tailgate, changes lanes way too aggressively, ignore traffic rules, etc.
I see this regularly. Very frequently, when I get off the freeway, they are right next to me, or even behind me. Fairly often, they weave and bob and end up stuck in a stopped lane and get way way behind me. If they ever get there two minutes faster by doing that, I would be amazed. Mostly they get there no faster and make everyone spill their coffee.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:49 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
I see this regularly. Very frequently, when I get off the freeway, they are right next to me, or even behind me. Fairly often, they weave and bob and end up stuck in a stopped lane and get way way behind me. If they ever get there two minutes faster by doing that, I would be amazed. Mostly they get there no faster and make everyone spill their coffee.

I see lane changers everyday. I used to play this little game when I would pick a lane changer and try to see how he/she was doing. At the end of commute they were always either behind me (driving in right lane with peace) or may be a car or two ahead!! Needless to say this kind of driving is so stressful and dangerous - I am sure when they reach office they are already half tired!!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Unfortunately it's not only MD thing. I have seen this stuff in VA and other states too.

I can understand speeders, lane changers, tailgaters and so on as they seem to have a goal to achieve. But in above 3 examples they cannot possibly have a goal as if they do the right thing nothing will change as far as their commute is concerned.
Yes, I know it's not just MD. However, it is more prevalent than any other state I have lived in so far.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM

634 posts, read 897,414 times
I can relate to #3. I hate those middle turn lanes where you got to wait for someone to make their turn when coming in the opposite direction, then pull up and make yours. And as you stated, when a stoplight is up ahead and this lane becomes the left turn lane and your really in for a time of it.

When I was a kid they didn't have those middle lanes where I grew up, they build medians up and down the avenues meaning fewer left turn options, but it was so much better and less confusing.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:22 PM

358 posts, read 886,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
A lot of people take driving lessons looking at NASCAR races.
I took lessons for driving a NASCAR. You do not learn anything useful for street driving. In fact, most of what they teach you is detrimental for street driving.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:14 PM

169 posts, read 284,143 times
Quote:
Yup!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:23 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I see lane changers everyday. I used to play this little game when I would pick a lane changer and try to see how he/she was doing. At the end of commute they were always either behind me (driving in right lane with peace) or may be a car or two ahead!! Needless to say this kind of driving is so stressful and dangerous - I am sure when they reach office they are already half tired!!
Good point. It's so stressful to try to force your way into another lane that sometimes I just tell myself; I'm going to just stay here. No point in conforming to the wackiness around me (and I'm 19 lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive