Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,769,693 times

Advertisements

Reliability is not a function of age. It's a function of maintenance and of a good original design.

I'd put my Scirocco up against anything new for reliability.

People tend to confuse reliability for ability to keep running despite neglect. These are 2 different things. An old 60's car in dead stock trim with a point and coil ignition, carburator, etc. can be quite reliable *provided the scheduled maintenance is done*. The old school car also has the nice quality of failing gracefully and gradually, for example if you neglect the points and they start to close up, it will gradually start worse and run worse. Newer cars tend to tolerate no mainteance beyond an oil change better, but if something on an electronic ignition fails, it typically fails suddenly and completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM

44,979 posts, read 59,955,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Thanks, since I live in the desert Southwest, we don't have winter cars. I can understand about having an old car for the salt and sand on the roads. I just wondered how reliable a "beater" would be in bad weather if it is so old. Wouldn't it be a money pit? Thanks for all the answers.
BTW, wife's car is in good shape aside the parking lot dings.
The aforementioned Lumina is becoming a pit at 85K on the Odo. Mostly just due to age. It is a bear in the winter, although I usually drive my truck.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,557,737 times
would a 1971 Plymouth Duster with 50,000 miles in 1985 be considered a "beater"? that was when i sold it. tranny was slipping, occasionally the starter needed to be tapped with a screwdriver to start it but otherwise it was a solid car. i remember the person who bought it was delighted when he heard it had only 50,000 on it

Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,385,909 times
Beater: A vehicle driven or not driven, definitely building up rust, and owned by, by NARFALICIOUS

Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,603,963 times
LOL nice examples. The century just needs "a little welding".

Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,703,308 times
Quote:
I just wondered how reliable a "beater" would be in bad weather if it is so old. Wouldn't it be a money pit?
Not unless the car were a piece of crap to start with...

A "beater" car is a loaded term....most of us wouldn't exactly consider a 2005 Mustang GT to be a beater...but to a billionaire who already owns several expensive Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, a few Rolls Royces, maybe a real '1966 AC Cobra 427....a 2005 Mustang GT might be considered a beater to him....but it doesn't mean the car is falling apart, with rust and fluids leaking everywhere....it just means it's the car he isn't concerned about parking lot dings, salt eating the body, etc....because he has the nice cars to drive on the nice days, and the beater to drive in the rain/snow, etc.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 PM

18,804 posts, read 27,246,954 times
Quote:
I really had never heard this term until just recently and especially here on CD. What constitutes a "beater" car? Age, condition, mileage? My wife has a 10 year old Accord V6 with 84 K. Is that a beater? Thanks for the replies. :-)

In our terminology here, a beater is just that: usually a small, very reliable make, bought at auction or from a pal, for several hundred bucks, still drivable, usually in quite non-appealing cosmetic shape, and of older age. Reason it's called beater is because you beat it to death, drive till wheels fall off.
I have never heard of a large old domestic being considered a beater. They are usually old Civics, Mazdas, VWs, from golden times of unheard now reliability and good mileage, mixed on extreme vehicle stubborness, or lack of desire to stop driving.
Here a sample, bought for $250 from associate, still doing 38mpg, and getting me anywhere for a year, until I donated it to a patient.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,892,441 times
There comes a time in a car's life when someone makes the decision that if it gets whacked, that's it. True beaters should never be insured for collision and comp.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,151,662 times
A "beater" is any car that you intend to drive until the wheels fall off and don't put any money into.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:46 AM

28,972 posts, read 14,290,197 times
My first "beater" was a 1970 Chevy Nova with a straight 6 and a powerglide in it. It had no rear brakes, someone had cut and crimped the lines, you had to be careful where you stepped because there was holes in the floorboards and there wasn't a single bushing left in the front suspension. I paid $100 and drove it for two years, then sold it for $150 to a guy named Danny Scott, he wanted the front subframe and suspension , disk brakes for a project he was working on. For those that are in to Hot Rod magazine and remember the "Car's Inc" prostreet cars , Danny Scott had the teal blue one which ended up having that subframe in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive