Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 PM

612 posts, read 1,514,275 times

Advertisements

I want a dashcam that records a motion in front/back of the car when my car is parked. We were feeling the place we live is safe until today when I noticed a random guy taking pics of the license plate of the cars parked in the parking lot of our apt. My leasing office called the cops, but the cops weren't much of a help as they said there is nothing illegal with that. Now our family is left with a feeling of insecurity in our own apt community. The person taking pics seems to be part of the same community we live in.

For front and back, would I need 2 dash cams or does one cam have the job done? Also where does it get the power/battery from when the car is off. Any suggestions on dash cam brand would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
I want a dashcam that records a motion in front/back of the car when my car is parked. We were feeling the place we live is safe until today when I noticed a random guy taking pics of the license plate of the cars parked in the parking lot of our apt. My leasing office called the cops, but the cops weren't much of a help as they said there is nothing illegal with that. Now our family is left with a feeling of insecurity in our own apt community. The person taking pics seems to be part of the same community we live in.

For front and back, would I need 2 dash cams or does one cam have the job done? Also where does it get the power/battery from when the car is off. Any suggestions on dash cam brand would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Which Dash Cam Records When Your Car Is Off?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thanks!

Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 AM

1,062 posts, read 982,111 times
What do you think he's going to do with license plate numbers? Maybe he suspected some suspicious activity and was documenting plates

Get a GoPro Hero5 and set it to video lapse mode where it takes a picture every 1 second or so. A few days will fit on a 64gb microSD

Old 03-07-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
What do you think he's going to do with license plate numbers? Maybe he suspected some suspicious activity and was documenting plates

Get a GoPro Hero5 and set it to video lapse mode where it takes a picture every 1 second or so. A few days will fit on a 64gb microSD
Thanks!! I will take a look at GoPro Hero5.

Yes, there is a possibility of him coming across suspicious activity and hence he could be documenting it. But how would I know why a random guy is documenting my car's license plate in front of my eyes and also everyone else's license plate. I also didn't get a proper response when I asked him why was he doing that, which made me feel suspicious.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:22 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,830,027 times
A cop buddy of mine told me a great measure to take, and it's turnabout.

You see someone doing something suspicious, you take HIS picture. Once covert, and then again after attracting his attention. A pic documents who he was and what he was doing. If you have to talk to the police, it can help ID them, and it's so much better than a His Word against Mine.
(If he starts to act belligerent, warn him that the pics are automatically copied to the cloud and 'erasing' or killing your phone won't protect him.)

Old 07-10-2017, 04:09 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
The guy could have been taking pictures of license plates for a repo company. They do that to know where cars are parked so they can tow them when the owner stops making payments.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The guy could have been taking pictures of license plates for a repo company. They do that to know where cars are parked so they can tow them when the owner stops making payments.
A repo company won't take pictures before someone stops making payments. How would they know that's going to occur? And how do they know they would even get the contract? Sounds like a silly proposition. We aren't to the Minority Report days yet.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Blackvue 650S

Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

So does a car thief makes it easier to find the car later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive