Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 AM

156 posts, read 440,245 times

Advertisements

I just spent the last few days talking with dealers via email, why my dad dealt with them in person. We are getting no where.

Here's my problem and question:
We want a 2014 Nissan Versa SV or SL of fairly specific colors (silver or gray exterior with the charcoal interior) and no options, packages, accessories, etc. because we don't want to pay anymore than necessary.

The cars we're looking at have extremely varying prices. The same dealer has the exact same car listed at $14,000 on cars.com but at over $17,650 on their website, and that's not including taxes and fees. WTF?! The cars.com price doesn't seem to be accurate and the dealer won't return my emails anymore.

I just received an email from a dealer and it sounds like cars are priced based on options that come with it. He indicated that it comes with floor mats so that's an extra $170. According to Edmunds, all these dealers are overcharging by $1500.

Am I missing something? How do we negotiate a lower price? I've spent hours upon hours researching and something doesn't seem right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I called the guy who does my high end sports car lease.

They get their regular cars at a really low (like fleet) price. Because the do so much volume in regular cars.

So I bought my SUV from him.
He got me the color and all the options for what the dealer said was an "impossible" price.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:32 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Figure out what you think is a good price. Go to the dealer and show him that you are willing to pay cash right then and there. You'd be surprised at how fast they agree on a price. I've done it several times and it always works. It worked better back in the day when every dealer had a different price and it's a bit harder now that they pull the BS that "Everyone pays the same price" crap. Cash is still King !

Old 09-21-2013, 08:35 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
I assume you are looking in a broad/drivable geographic area; one you can go to and make the purchase, vs the corner dealer(s).

Fwiw, many find making their contact via the dealers' Internet Sale Mgr, listing the options you want, (or noting the car(s) they have on hand with compromise options), and requesting their best out the door price.

Adding in a trade in can confuse the issue considerably, but maybe you are just buying outright. Financing clouds the out the door price a bit too: if you are cash, the dlr is missing the financing side. If you are financing, the dlr's 'Credit Mgr', can play with the deal and make it confusing, but poz for 'them.'

Not sure of your location, (VA?), but every Toyota dlr, and actually every brand dlr here in western NC/upstate SC, has an Internet Mgr who is the usual go to guy for best online quote, though some will not offer lowest via email, until they feel you are serious vs kicking tires.

As for wanting 'no options', (an odd choice for something you are going to be driving/living with for several years, and will be detrimental at trade in time, imo), most dlrs have a low ball/come on stripper car on their lot, though the color may not be to your liking.

Having bought cars for 50+ years, no expert, but experienced, I am surprised at your trouble in finding a car you want, at a reasonable price. Maybe I am missing something in your post...
GL, mD

Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Buy a used 2013 on craigslist for cheaper? Same car very likely, and you will have options at lower cost?
Like this one?
Black Power Side Mirrors w/Manual Folding 2014 Nissan Versa S Plus 3N1CN7AP9EL81

And it's likely to be sold for $14K?

This should go for around $14K or less also(yes, I know it's not your color, but as example only):
Nissan Versa SV 2013 only 8500 mile

Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
The way I did it recently was to make an initial visit and test drive, let them make their usual silly offer, and conduct the rest of the negotiation by email. Seemed to work OK, I got an acceptable price on exactly the car I wanted that they got from another dealership.

Under no circumstances attempt to negotiate by going back and forth while you are sitting in the dealership.

Be ready to turn down the extended warranty (otherwise known as additional dealer profit).

Old 09-21-2013, 11:24 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Since you want a stripper car (base model w/ no options, not a car for exotic dancers), are they available at the dealers or will they have to order? Dealers don't generally carry stripper models because they're not in demand.

Another option is to look for dealers' screamer newspaper ads on Thurs/Fri for that weekend's loss leaders. They usually have one or two of these (usually with moderate options) at discounted prices to entice people to come in.

Other than that, just shop your price.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:30 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Go to the dealership when they are closed and see if they have the car you want. If they do, copy the price down. Contact the internet sales guy/gal and make them a reasonable offer. Go from there. That's what I did when I bought my last car. It was very easy.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
We bought a truck via internet auto sales service (NOT craig's list, etc) - and they delivered it to our HOUSE!! It was great!

We just went 'shopping' to see what features were 'must have' and 'don't want' - and we went for a 2003 when the 2004's were already well out - so that was cheaper too. They found a model within 100 miles, and delivered it to our house, along with paperwork that we signed at our kitchen table. It was very nice!! And, we saved about $7,000 (off sticker price - that was still in the window).

Old 09-21-2013, 11:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
We bought a truck via internet auto sales service (NOT craig's list, etc) - and they delivered it to our HOUSE!! It was great!

We just went 'shopping' to see what features were 'must have' and 'don't want' - and we went for a 2003 when the 2004's were already well out - so that was cheaper too. They found a model within 100 miles, and delivered it to our house, along with paperwork that we signed at our kitchen table. It was very nice!! And, we saved about $7,000 (off sticker price - that was still in the window).
How do you know $7000 off sticker was the lowest price possible? It's the previous year's model so most dealers would be motivated to get rid for.
How much did you pay this auto sales service middle man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive