Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:01 PM

3,653 posts, read 4,784,182 times

Advertisements

This is all pretty scary. I have absolutely no interest in driver less or driver assist cars and actually fear them. Yea, let the stupid GPS guide the car. The same GPS's that guide you through parking lots, streets that don't exist and the wrong way, such as the northbound side of the road instead of the south side where your destination actually is.

Add to that the comfort level people will get used to in which they'll never be able to react correctly when something craps out---which it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,619,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
This is all pretty scary. I have absolutely no interest in driver less or driver assist cars and actually fear them. Yea, let the stupid GPS guide the car. The same GPS's that guide you through parking lots, streets that don't exist and the wrong way, such as the northbound side of the road instead of the south side where your destination actually is.

Add to that the comfort level people will get used to in which they'll never be able to react correctly when something craps out---which it will.
Well then, it's a good thing driverless cars won't be controlled solely by GPS, isn't it? A lot of the problems with GPS stem from the fact that up until very recently there was no way for the GPS manufacturer to get feedback directly from the units so they could correct their maps. With smartphones and cellular data connections, that's changing.

A lot of the time people can't react correctly in time to emergencies now. If you were driving down the freeway doing 65 and a medium-sized dog jumped out of the open window of an SUV in the next lane 20 feet in front of you, how confident are you that you'll be able to avoid it in time? That happened to me about 10 years ago. I was lucky the dog jumped out of the window on the opposite side. If it had jumped out of my side, I'd probably be as dead as the dog.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:32 PM

3,316 posts, read 4,104,036 times
This technology will kill millions of jobs! The kind of jobs held by mostly by average joe type people, the type of jobs that are in short supply now, and soon to be a catastrophic shortage of in the near future. No more truck drivers, taxi drivers, bus drivers, package delivery drivers, pizza delivery drivers......all middle and lower class people targeted for unemployment, while the rich get richer replacing us with robots whenever possible. I would imagine airline pilots and ship captains would be next in line for automation.

I can't wait for the day they invent a lawyer-bot that works for 3 bucks an hour, or a computerized hedge fund analyst/stock broker and real estate agent all rolled into one. How about a mechanical politician ?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:51 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,619,123 times
Oh no! How will the economy ever recover? The same way it did when the millions of stable employees, buggy whip makers and horse-drawn carriage builders lost their jobs when automobile became popular, right?

Autonomous cars aren't going to be eliminating anyone's jobs for at least a decade so I wouldn't go crazy hitting the panic button.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
This technology will kill millions of jobs! The kind of jobs held by mostly by average joe type people, the type of jobs that are in short supply now, and soon to be a catastrophic shortage of in the near future. No more truck drivers, taxi drivers, bus drivers, package delivery drivers, pizza delivery drivers......all middle and lower class people targeted for unemployment, while the rich get richer replacing us with robots whenever possible. I would imagine airline pilots and ship captains would be next in line for automation.

I can't wait for the day they invent a lawyer-bot that works for 3 bucks an hour, or a computerized hedge fund analyst/stock broker and real estate agent all rolled into one. How about a mechanical politician ?
A century ago, 70% of Americans derived their income from agriculture and related activities. Today, it's 2%. That other 68% isn't just lying around doing nothing. Mechanization/automation frees up labor to perform other tasks.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,772,668 times
Quote:
This technology will kill millions of jobs! The kind of jobs held by mostly by average joe type people, the type of jobs that are in short supply now, and soon to be a catastrophic shortage of in the near future. No more truck drivers, taxi drivers, bus drivers, package delivery drivers, pizza delivery drivers......all middle and lower class people targeted for unemployment, while the rich get richer replacing us with robots whenever possible.

You're still going to need a human being to bring the pizza or the parcel to the door.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You're still going to need a human being to bring the pizza or the parcel to the door.
I'm not so sure about that, they are already using robots in warehouses to move items around, robots in factories that pick up and move items into position. What if UPS pitched us to "save 50% on shipping for robot delivery" and this thing on wheels comes out of the truck with a package, the truck knows your address by GPS, it stops, the robot reads the code on the package, a plank drops off the back of the truck, the robot rolls off, up your sidewalk with package to your door. The truck calls you 5 minutes before it arrives, if you need to sign something, so you can be there. Or the robot just drops it there at your door, maybe rings the doorbell to let you know. It has a screen for you to sign with one of those electronic pens with cord attached.

It's not just driving jobs that would be affected, clerks, cashiers, store stockers, they could all be in line to be replaced by kiosks or some kind of automation. I'm sure they could think of something to stop theft of product by some type of electronic means as well. Maybe another way, the store might be full of fake products, you pick them up and put them in a basket, while checking out, a robot in the back is grabbing real product for your order, after you pay it brings a cart with the real stuff for your examination. Maybe you don't even go to the store, you order at home, robot loads several orders into auto-truck, you pay with paypal, truck calls you 5 minutes before arrival.........

There is NO WAY enough new jobs will be created by all this new technology, that would replace those old jobs lost. All the high tech companies in the US, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook ect do not even employ 1 million people in this country as it is now. However at least 50 million people must work in the jobs targeted for automation. Not to mention the hundreds of millions in developing countries that are doing simple task work/service jobs that would also be phased out by automation. It costs 3 bucks an hour to run a factory robot for the 7 year "lifespan" of the unit.

Last edited by mofford; 09-29-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 02:12 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,772,668 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that, they are already using robots in warehouses to move items around, robots in factories that pick up and move items into position. What if UPS pitched us to "save 50% on shipping for robot delivery" and this thing on wheels comes out of the truck with a package, the truck knows your address by GPS, it stops, the robot reads the code on the package, a plank drops off the back of the truck, the robot rolls off, up your sidewalk with package to your door. The truck calls you 5 minutes before it arrives, if you need to sign something, so you can be there. Or the robot just drops it there at your door, maybe rings the doorbell to let you know. It has a screen for you to sign with one of those electronic pens with cord attached.
There are way too many variables involved. What happens if its the wrong pizza? What if the package is obviously damaged? What if they don't have a paved driveway(dirt/gravel)?

I'll save the biggest one for last:

What's to stop a human from stealing from the robot as its about to make a delivery?

The use of robotics only works in a controlled environment.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:24 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,829,726 times
Quote:
There are way too many variables involved. What happens if its the wrong pizza? What if the package is obviously damaged? What if they don't have a paved driveway(dirt/gravel)?

I'll save the biggest one for last:

What's to stop a human from stealing from the robot as its about to make a delivery?
The camera/stun gun? The 911 call? The robot riding shotgun?

(Sure we can continue to construct what ifs, and here's how infinitly...for many 'problems' there are 'solutions'. Bear in mind that this type of service need not cover ALL possible situations and in fact can be something the consumer requests/selects at a reduced cost.)

Just thinkin...

BTW, some fans might find this interesting (it solves the "gravel driveway problem"...which didn't seem a problem anyway )

Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 PM

These robots would be used for agricultural production, feeding and caring for livestock, picking and sorting, lawn care service, meat packing plants, robot fast food workers making burgers and fries, the list goes on and on. And it would become a felony to attack or destroy a robot, and a fine for detaining an auto-truck or robot by stepping in front of it and making it stop for over an X period of time. That would cost society money and we couldn't have that. And yes, the robots would probably have 911 link, HD cameras, guns, who knows.

On the bright side of this, being one of the millions of unemployed humans, I would have plenty of time to sit around and wait for the auto-truck to call. That way if I have stairs or something the robot could not deal with, I would go down to meet the truck and bring my stuff up all by myself....that would really suck but I think I could do it.

Also on the good side, a tremendous amount of fuel would be saved by just having people call in their orders ahead of time, multiple orders could be loaded up on large trucks, and the trucks run a route of perhaps 50 miles, but make 200 stops, that's 200 people that don't have to go on the road, ooops, I mean send their cars for stuff, it would save untold amounts of gasoline. Transportation would become super efficient. There would also be another great savings in the workplace of robots, they don't need heating and air conditioning.

At some point robots will account for a majority share of world GDP, by then all the unemployed people will have forced the government to nationalize a majority share of robot production. The robots in essence will be producing for the all the unwanted humans, probably giving them a modest but comfortable lifestyle. Those that want to work in other areas the robots cannot do, will still live considerably better. That's how we get to the Star Trek days, we nationalize the majority share of robot production. They work, we join Star Fleet.

Last edited by mofford; 09-29-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive