Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:11 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Yes, History Channel at 8:00PM ET Sat

A lot of the cars today were the "new" lo mile cars - 3 highest were :
1958 Chevrolet Cameo Pickup 1.3 mi $140,000
1963 Chevrolet Impala 2dr HT 11 mi $97,500
1978 Vette 4 mi $80,000

all lot of the 60s-70s Chev sold for around $20,000

Tomorrow's bidding is at https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=68562

From the look of tomorrow's list, all the "new" cars were sold today.
78 Pace Car Vette was crazy, plenty of those around with low miles for 1/3 that price....

Here is a 943 mile one on eBay asking $36,000. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...ht_1538wt_1064
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
I watched it long enough to know the prices were unrealistic . The people paying the prices have NO knowledge of the real world collector car market....no idea but cash to burn.And some of those cars that supposed to have had 20 miles or less sure had what looked like 100.000 miles of road rash????? The whole thing was a fantacy

Old 09-28-2013, 11:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I was in Pierce, NE this morning. My impressions are SIGNIFICANTLY different from what some of the people posted above. For the record, I was there from 9 am until 1 pm.

1) There was not ONE car that I saw that could remotely be in "ready to drive". For example, there was a 1982 Chevrolet Chevette, untitled with 85 miles. It had been in that field for about 30 years. The tires were rotten. There was so much dirt on the vehicle that it was hard to see what color it was. That car was in better shape than most.

2) At east 20 of the cars were cars that had been totaled in accidents over the years.

3) Many of the "newer cars" were leftovers - new cars that were never sold.

4) Parking in a field 1.5 miles away was $20 per day. They had three or four shuttles BUT it was quicker walking.

5) Yardsticks with the dealer's name went for $100 each, which angered a lot of the locals.

6) Unlike traditional car auctions, where the cars are brought through a line, this one was done in place. It was hard to het within 100 feet of the auctioneers.

7) Nearly everything had a 30-45 minute line - the porta-johns, the concessions, the registration. They advertised and promoted the heck out of this auction but were largely UNPREPARED for the crowd.

8) Every garage queen within 75 miles was parked all around the towns of Norfolk, Wayne, and Pierce. A lot of the cars with for sale signs parked all over town were in much better shape than the cars at the auction.

9) A good number of attendees - myself included - think that the auction was way overhyped.

10) The best part of attending was meeting the locals - who had a much different view of the dealer. One guy told me that he traded in his muscle car to Lambrecht in the 80s. Since he saw it sit there for 10 years and rotting, he wanted to buy it back but the dealer never sold used cars.

11) The general impression of a lot of visitors was "what a waste". Couldn't the dealer had dumped some of the cars years ago.

I have a feeling that the real expert buyers will be there tomorrow after the euphoria has passed.

I have about 50 pictures of the auction and I might post a couple in a week.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:55 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I personally would never buy at a heavily advertised public auction, too many idiots with paddles overpaying for anything just to be in it.
Exactly. Just like the real estate bubble hype from 2001 - 2006 where people were paying half a million for a crap cod I also heard now was a good time to buy gold

Old 09-29-2013, 05:17 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I was in Pierce, NE this morning. My impressions are SIGNIFICANTLY different from what some of the people posted above. For the record, I was there from 9 am until 1 pm.

1) There was not ONE car that I saw that could remotely be in "ready to drive". For example, there was a 1982 Chevrolet Chevette, untitled with 85 miles. It had been in that field for about 30 years. The tires were rotten. There was so much dirt on the vehicle that it was hard to see what color it was. That car was in better shape than most.

2) At east 20 of the cars were cars that had been totaled in accidents over the years.

3) Many of the "newer cars" were leftovers - new cars that were never sold.

4) Parking in a field 1.5 miles away was $20 per day. They had three or four shuttles BUT it was quicker walking.

5) Yardsticks with the dealer's name went for $100 each, which angered a lot of the locals.

6) Unlike traditional car auctions, where the cars are brought through a line, this one was done in place. It was hard to het within 100 feet of the auctioneers.

7) Nearly everything had a 30-45 minute line - the porta-johns, the concessions, the registration. They advertised and promoted the heck out of this auction but were largely UNPREPARED for the crowd.

8) Every garage queen within 75 miles was parked all around the towns of Norfolk, Wayne, and Pierce. A lot of the cars with for sale signs parked all over town were in much better shape than the cars at the auction.

9) A good number of attendees - myself included - think that the auction was way overhyped.

10) The best part of attending was meeting the locals - who had a much different view of the dealer. One guy told me that he traded in his muscle car to Lambrecht in the 80s. Since he saw it sit there for 10 years and rotting, he wanted to buy it back but the dealer never sold used cars.

11) The general impression of a lot of visitors was "what a waste". Couldn't the dealer had dumped some of the cars years ago.

I have a feeling that the real expert buyers will be there tomorrow after the euphoria has passed.

I have about 50 pictures of the auction and I might post a couple in a week.
How are your impressions different? Most of the posts say everything was overpriced, and that the auction was overhyped, which is exactly what you said.

How can a dealer stay in business without selling the trade-ins?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
How can a dealer stay in business without selling the trade-ins?
Rumor was he had 2 objectives:

1. He wanted everyone to drive new cars
2. He thought the used cars would be his retirement someday

He also sold a ton of cars out of a tiny dealership in Nebraska but was famous for throwing out his lowest price first and challenging customers to find it cheaper elsewhere....... Not sure how you turn a profit if you work on low margins and never sell trades! He got the last laugh though on all this rusty junk bringing big money too bad he is 95 yrs old! Guess the buyers were crazier than he was!

Old 09-29-2013, 07:00 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
One thing I have noticed over the years by watching these auctions is that Chevy guys will pay over the top prices for anything with a Chevy engine in it. Doesn't matter if it's Ford or a non numbers matching Corvette. If it's got a Chevy engine they will pay stupid money just to own it. (Anybody watch BJ lately)

Old 09-29-2013, 01:10 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
Why a person would pay 4 times the price of a nice restored DRIVEABLE car for a rusty junker that will require a COMPLETE disassembly that in itself would cost thousands I will never know.Vintage /collectable cars are priced according to their grade. A number 0ne is like new all the way down to a number 5 which is a rusty field find. People are paying much more than a number one for cars that are number 5. Are those farmers that stupid?

Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Low miles and being the first owner only mean something if the car is mint. The only good thing is that YearOne etc should have their phone ringing off the hook for weeks to come and these fools dump more money restoring these never titled low mile finds.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Are those farmers that stupid?
I doubt that's farmer money that drove up the bidding. Some some dumb city slicker who thinks he or she is going to flip these cars GMG style in two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive