Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
For what it's worth, I used these spring compressors:

OEM 25550 Strut Spring Compressor - Amazon.com

The sliding pins lock the compressors on to the springs and that was the primary reason I went with those.
I have these too. Used them once on a Miata. Soon will use again on my Ridgeline. I trust them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have these too. Used them once on a Miata. Soon will use again on my Ridgeline. I trust them.
Thanks for chiming in, Hoff!
Shoot, I may just buy them too and do it all myself.
It will take me a lot longer, but I know they'll be done right.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Thanks for chiming in, Hoff!
Shoot, I may just buy them too and do it all myself.
It will take me a lot longer, but I know they'll be done right.
Most auto parts stores will let you rent them. And by rent, I mean they'll charge you full price when you take them, and refund the money when you bring them back. Very common practice.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:53 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Most auto parts stores will let you rent them. And by rent, I mean they'll charge you full price when you take them, and refund the money when you bring them back. Very common practice.
Thanks, GL. I ordered two pair of the ones mentioned, figuring that $40 more will give me extra peace of mind, as I'll use three of these on each spring.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
I want to change the shock absorbers in my car, but don't want to hassle with compressing the springs and the inherent danger involved if something slips.

If I bring the car to the shop, I'm looking at something north of $1,100 to have all four done.
I do all work on my car, but I draw the line for certain things; this being one of them.

If I were to take out all four struts, buy new shocks, and then hand them over to a shop to switch out the old for the new, would they possibly refuse? I can buy all four shocks for $200. With the right equipment, it wouldn't take the shop very long to compress the springs and replace with new shocks.

At any rate, any thoughts?

It's a bit late to pitch in, but a local shop about a mile away from me here swaps springs on struts for $12 each, in about 5 minutes. A tire shop.

That will cost you $48 plus tax. Now, if you were handy enough to pull struts out, why not to buy this:
Macpherson Strut Spring Compressor Single Action Clamshell with Safety Bar | eBay

and DIY entire job? Those don't slip. And are a breeze to use.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:29 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
I guess that is the price of doing business.
I'm not in the least litigious, so it never crossed my mind. (And I hope by saying that, that the gods don't screw with me now to test me on it)
No one is litigious until they sue someone. If people win suits over spilling hot coffee on themselves, what do you think would happen if one of the shocks I put springs on for you were on a car you wrecked and you became brain dead ? The first people your family's lawyers would start looking at would be me for "improperly repairing the parts you brought in." Happens every day.

Don

Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
These are not difficult to replace. I replaced a front strut in a CRV recently and it took about an hour. I used the cheap spring compressors from Harbor Freight.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
I guess that is the price of doing business.
I'm not in the least litigious, so it never crossed my mind. (And I hope by saying that, that the gods don't screw with me now to test me on it)
He speaks the truth.

Lots of shops won't let you bring them parts to install. If you bring them a bottom shelf component and it fails, should they have to warranty the work? It puts them on the hook for liability as well.

This is partially the reason why i've always done 99% of my own vehicle repairs/maintainence. I'm picky enough to insist on specific parts, and can locate quality parts (usually OEM) cheaper than what I'd pay for them at a mechanic/dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive