Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I agree that one should have a repair manual for their particular vehicle however I think that one would find that the actual factory repair manual that is used by dealerships is more geared toward a trained maechanic. My library has quite collection of factory service manuals that I have referred to from time to time and I can tell you that they are not geared toward a newbie mechanic. I would think that the Haynes manual is more geared toward the average person that wants to tackle basic repairs and maintenance issues on their vehicles. What I would suggest to the original poster is research local community colleges that may offer a course in basic automotive repair. It's certainly a good start.
I'll have to disagree with you on recommending the Haynes or Chilton manuals over a real factory service manual. And I've taken an informal survey with my non-professional mechanic friends that have taught themselves to work on their own cars. The factory service manuals are superior in every way. The Haynes and Chiltons have fuzzy grayed out black and white photographs. The factory manuals have clear line drawings that are much easier to understand. I only have the Haynes and Chilton manuals because all of the used cars I buy seem to have a copy in their back seats. lol. And I do have the factory manuals to compare them with.

Working on cars is not that difficult if you have the right tools, a service manual and are organized about your work habits. Having a cordless impact wrench also is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
It may not be a simple phillips screw holding the assembly in place, it could be a torx screw. Just a different tip and you can buy a screwdriver in that without buying a whole set.

My wife loves working on our cars as well.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
I don't know that much about Land Rovers, but most modern turn signal assemblies are mounted from the rear. Unless it is mounted in the bumper, it will be accessed from inside the quarter panel. Open the tailgate, look at the rear corner; you will probably find an access panel which you can remove to reach the back of the turn signal. Most likely it will be held in by 10mm nuts or possibly thumbscrews. I am assuming this is a fairly modern Rover. The wiring will have a single plug which disconnects all bulbs simultaneously. It will have some sort of retainer to prevent it from coming unplugged. A small screwdriver will help you disconnect it. You may need to transfer some small parts from your old assembly onto your new one before reassembly.

You don't need to disconnect the battery for this, but if you ever get involved with more complex electrical repairs, you should.

The airbag system has nothing whatsoever to do with the rear bumper area. If you are working on the front of the car, all airbag wiring is clearly marked with bright yellow wiring and plugs. Do not unplug bright yellow wires or plugs without disconnecting the battery and waiting at least 15 minutes. SRS (airbag) systems retain a memory for a short time after the battery is disconnected (they have a small internal battery).

This is usually a fairly simple operation which most people can do; all they need is willingness to try, and a little courage to explore. Good Luck.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
Haynes or Chilton manuals are ok for simple things. The factory service manuals are without doubt superior.

I always say Chilton's will tell you everything except what you need to know.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:35 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Haynes or Chilton manuals are ok for simple things. The factory service manuals are without doubt superior.

I always say Chilton's will tell you everything except what you need to know.
Are factory service manuals available for sale? If so how do I go about purchasing one?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
One place you can get factory manuals is Faxon Auto Literature. Google 'em.

Miu makes a good point. Actually the Chilton or Haynes manuals are, ironically, more useful to the seasoned mechanic, who already knows how, in general, a task is done on several different cars, and just needs the torque specs, etc. for the car at hand. The factory manual generally shows things a little more graphically.

Factory manuals tend to be pricy, but are worth it *to me*.

It's also true for most routine maintenance tasks, stuff the typical beginner will want to tackle, the aftermarket manuals are usually good enough.

If you don't want to spend the $ for a factory manual or can't find one, the aftermarket manuals are way better than nothing.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:04 AM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
Am I the only one who noticed this is thread bump from November of '07?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
To me there's nothing sexier than a girl that works on her own car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive