Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 03:04 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Much too long. I stopped reading after your first paragraph , so I have no idea what you said.
She said she hates Amuricah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I have fond memories of washing my parents' cars in the 1970s and 80s. I'm not sure, but I think that the white walled tires phased out in the early 80s. What happened?
When I was a kid I noticed that all tires had two sides, a whitewall side and a blackwall side. Whichever you paid for, that's which side went facing out.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
They wont be around to see... just like microwaves, refrigerators, and washing machines, things are no longer built to last for years.

Ive got whitewalls on my car (older Buick), theyre about 1" thick and Goodyear is always trying to put the white to the inside or sell me blackwalls. As long as you keep them clean, some cars do look better with the whitewalls...and well, many classic cars just wouldnt look the same without the wide whitewalls.
Yes, they probably won't be around after a few decades. Or not many will.

And I agree, I think they do look better with whitewalls. Certainly better than those 22" wheels or those super-low profile tires.

Also, about (the long) post #4... it wasn't just the "gaudy Detroit" cars back then that had whitewall tires and chrome bumpers. Many European cars also had them.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM

107 posts, read 181,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Richards View Post
They scream Detroit tackiness at its finest! You also need large gaudy chrome bumpers and a vinyl roof for white wall tires. It was just a stupid way that the tire makers and the Detroit three could distinguish their more upscale models inititially.......more tacked on doo-dads and gaudy trim/chrome. Started in the thirties but didn't really take off like wildfire until about 1952 when excess chrome and overdoing it meant you had a more upscale flashy ride even though it was essentially the same piece of trash as the economy version of the same model....you just paid 20% more for the extra tackiness to show you were at least equal to the Joneses. Tire makers loved them because for decades, the fifties through the seventies, people paid a lot more for the same model tire in a whitewall versus the blackwall version. A huge profit center for the tire makers. By the eighties, European cars and Japanese cars had become the style leaders as well as the superior auto producers instead of the motor city. No seventies or eighties Mercedes, BMW or Audi was ever seen with whitewalls except when someone decided they simply wanted to. By the end of the seventies, there was no price premium on whitewall tires since they had become "land yacht" tires because Radial tires had taken over all vehicles by then. Michelin had pioneered leadership in the most advance design of tire technology by the end of the sixties and foreign cars were fitted with radials by then and Detroit would follow a few years later, just as they had done with disc brakes. By the seventies, no sporty car was fitted with whitewalls except Detroit garbage like the Corvette, and Camaro and the bloated Mustang and even the later small MustangII. Around the start of the seventies, because whitewalls had become a land yacht staple along with vinyl roofs, the tire makers and Detroit decided to go to a more awful, low class redneck look, that they deemed to be "Sporty" and that was the Ultimate in Tacky, the raised white letter sidewall tire that would go on to sporty cars instead of the old fart's whitewall tire. The raised white letter sidewall came about because of the INDY 500 influence where the competing tire manufacturers, Firestone & Goodyear had placed their giant logos and white lettering on the sidewall of the racecar tires, so spectators and newspaper photos and tv coverage would show the the white letter name Firestone or Goodyear if the car was stopped in the pits or or a parked publicity photo, etc... The Indy 500 really became space age modern in the mid sixties when the British came with slim cigar shaped rear engined cars powered by lightweight small FORD V-8 engines. Within two years or so, all of the front engine cars were a thing of the past as they could not compete with the speed of the rear engined cars. The front engined cars won the first competition against the rear engined cars only because the front engined car survived the entire 500 mile race. The rear engined cars had something like a 7 or 8 lap lead on the traditional front engined cars but they suffered mechanical failures late in the race. That was enough to send nearly all race teams to go rear engine cigar shape for the next year, though some low budget teams did enter using old outdated front engine cars, hoping that again they would be the only ones to finish. Speed jumped exponentially and the new style race cars were the rage. I guess someone in Detroit or Akron (the rubber capital then) said hey lets make tires look like the Indy Car's with GOODYEAR Polyglas and Firestone 500 and Atlas and BF Goodrich and every other name in big bold WHITE RAISED LETTERS. The buying public thought it was cool. In an instant it replaced the red-line (red wall tires) that GM had tire makers make specifically for their Pontiac sporty models beginning in about '62, and the Corvette also had red wall tires in the sixties. You guessed it other mfr'rs tried gold wall and blue wall tires to copy GM but only the red-line tire was seen as cool until the giant bold white raised letter tires became the rage from the end of the sixties until the late seventies. Excess in bad taste like vinyl roofs and chickens on hoods of Firebirds and ugly loud stripes and decals on most every sporty Detroit piece of garbage during this time. Some things like, Bee-Hive hairdos and the big hair shellac helmut hair that went out about 1967 and nehru jackets for men and combovers, chopper sideburns, hippy hair, leisure suits, polyester disco suits, Elvis' jumpsuits, and later day mullets that men once thought looked cool and we must have thought so too. Every picture tells a story don't it...yeah it does you know and the bad choices in looks that would not survive the test of time.... Whitewall tires and Raised White Letter Tires really fit in there with vinyl roofs, platform shoes, giant bellbottoms, orange and green and brown shag carpeting, 8 track tapes, CB radios, chain-smoking five packs of cigarettes per day... What in the world were we thinking back then? Those of you who are young deserve to laugh at all of us over 56 , in the 57 to 67 yr old age group....as we were definitely far off in retrospect. Whitewalls and raised white letter tires are like shag carpet and mullets and everything else that should never again return...... History shows that bad taste always survives and every generation leaves their mark, though at the time they don't realize how bad their particular choice is.....They scream Detroit tackiness at its finest! You also need large gaudy chrome bumpers and a vinyl roof for white wall tires. It was just a stupid way that the tire makers and the Detroit three could distinguish their more upscale models inititially.......more tacked on doo-dads and gaudy trim/chrome. Started in the thirties but didn't really take off like wildfire until about 1952 when excess chrome and overdoing it meant you had a more upscale flashy ride even though it was essentially the same piece of trash as the economy version of the same model....you just paid 20% more for the extra tackiness to show you were at least equal to the Joneses. Tire makers loved them because for decades, the fifties through the seventies, people paid a lot more for the same model tire in a whitewall versus the blackwall version. A huge profit center for the tire makers. By the eighties, European cars and Japanese cars had become the style leaders as well as the superior auto producers instead of the motor city. No seventies or eighties Mercedes, BMW or Audi was ever seen with whitewalls except when someone decided they simply wanted to. By the end of the seventies, there was no price premium on whitewall tires since they had become "land yacht" tires because Radial tires had taken over all vehicles by then. Michelin had pioneered leadership in the most advance design of tire technology by the end of the sixties and foreign cars were fitted with radials by then and Detroit would follow a few years later, just as they had done with disc brakes. By the seventies, no sporty car was fitted with whitewalls except Detroit garbage like the Corvette, and Camaro and the bloated Mustang and even the later small MustangII. Around the start of the seventies, because whitewalls had become a land yacht staple along with vinyl roofs, the tire makers and Detroit decided to go to a more awful, low class redneck look, that they deemed to be "Sporty" and that was the Ultimate in Tacky, the raised white letter sidewall tire that would go on to sporty cars instead of the old fart's whitewall tire. The raised white letter sidewall came about because of the INDY 500 influence where the competing tire manufacturers, Firestone & Goodyear had placed their giant logos and white lettering on the sidewall of the racecar tires, so spectators and newspaper photos and tv coverage would show the the white letter name Firestone or Goodyear if the car was stopped in the pits or or a parked publicity photo, etc... The Indy 500 really became space age modern in the mid sixties when the British came with slim cigar shaped rear engined cars powered by lightweight small FORD V-8 engines. Within two years or so, all of the front engine cars were a thing of the past as they could not compete with the speed of the rear engined cars. The front engined cars won the first competition against the rear engined cars only because the front engined car survived the entire 500 mile race. The rear engined cars had something like a 7 or 8 lap lead on the traditional front engined cars but they suffered mechanical failures late in the race. That was enough to send nearly all race teams to go rear engine cigar shape for the next year, though some low budget teams did enter using old outdated front engine cars, hoping that again they would be the only ones to finish. Speed jumped exponentially and the new style race cars were the rage. I guess someone in Detroit or Akron (the rubber capital then) said hey lets make tires look like the Indy Car's with GOODYEAR Polyglas and Firestone 500 and Atlas and BF Goodrich and every other name in big bold WHITE RAISED LETTERS. The buying public thought it was cool. In an instant it replaced the red-line (red wall tires) that GM had tire makers make specifically for their Pontiac sporty models beginning in about '62, and the Corvette also had red wall tires in the sixties. You guessed it other mfr'rs tried gold wall and blue wall tires to copy GM but only the red-line tire was seen as cool until the giant bold white raised letter tires became the rage from the end of the sixties until the late seventies. Excess in bad taste like vinyl roofs and chickens on hoods of Firebirds and ugly loud stripes and decals on most every sporty Detroit piece of garbage during this time. Some things like, Bee-Hive hairdos and the big hair shellac helmut hair that went out about 1967 and nehru jackets for men and combovers, chopper sideburns, hippy hair, leisure suits, polyester disco suits, Elvis' jumpsuits, and later day mullets that men once thought looked cool and we must have thought so too. Every picture tells a story don't it...yeah it does you know and the bad choices in looks that would not survive the test of time.... Whitewall tires and Raised White Letter Tires really fit in there with vinyl roofs, platform shoes, giant bellbottoms, orange and green and brown shag carpeting, 8 track tapes, CB radios, chain-smoking five packs of cigarettes per day...
What in the world were we thinking back then? Those of you who are young deserve to laugh at all of us over 56 , in the 57 to 67 yr old age group....as we were definitely far off in retrospect. Whitewalls and raised white letter tires are like shag carpet and mullets and everything else that should never again return...... History shows that bad taste always survives and every generation leaves their mark, though at the time they don't realize how bad their particular choice is.....They scream Detroit tackiness at its finest! You also need large gaudy chrome bumpers and a vinyl roof for white wall tires. It was just a stupid way that the tire makers and the Detroit three could distinguish their more upscale models inititially.......more tacked on doo-dads and gaudy trim/chrome. Started in the thirties but didn't really take off like wildfire until about 1952 when excess chrome and overdoing it meant you had a more upscale flashy ride even though it was essentially the same piece of trash as the economy version of the same model....you just paid 20% more for the extra tackiness to show you were at least equal to the Joneses. Tire makers loved them because for decades, the fifties through the seventies, people paid a lot more for the same model tire in a whitewall versus the blackwall version. A huge profit center for the tire makers. By the eighties, European cars and Japanese cars had become the style leaders as well as the superior auto producers instead of the motor city. No seventies or eighties Mercedes, BMW or Audi was ever seen with whitewalls except when someone decided they simply wanted to. By the end of the seventies, there was no price premium on whitewall tires since they had become "land yacht" tires because Radial tires had taken over all vehicles by then. Michelin had pioneered leadership in the most advance design of tire technology by the end of the sixties and foreign cars were fitted with radials by then and Detroit would follow a few years later, just as they had done with disc brakes. By the seventies, no sporty car was fitted with whitewalls except Detroit garbage like the Corvette, and Camaro and the bloated Mustang and even the later small MustangII. Around the start of the seventies, because whitewalls had become a land yacht staple along with vinyl roofs, the tire makers and Detroit decided to go to a more awful, low class redneck look, that they deemed to be "Sporty" and that was the Ultimate in Tacky, the raised white letter sidewall tire that would go on to sporty cars instead of the old fart's whitewall tire. The raised white letter sidewall came about because of the INDY 500 influence where the competing tire manufacturers, Firestone & Goodyear had placed their giant logos and white lettering on the sidewall of the racecar tires, so spectators and newspaper photos and tv coverage would show the the white letter name Firestone or Goodyear if the car was stopped in the pits or or a parked publicity photo, etc... The Indy 500 really became space age modern in the mid sixties when the British came with slim cigar shaped rear engined cars powered by lightweight small FORD V-8 engines. Within two years or so, all of the front engine cars were a thing of the past as they could not compete with the speed of the rear engined cars. The front engined cars won the first competition against the rear engined cars only because the front engined car survived the entire 500 mile race. The rear engined cars had something like a 7 or 8 lap lead on the traditional front engined cars but they suffered mechanical failures late in the race. That was enough to send nearly all race teams to go rear engine cigar shape for the next year, though some low budget teams did enter using old outdated front engine cars, hoping that again they would be the only ones to finish. Speed jumped exponentially and the new style race cars were the rage. I guess someone in Detroit or Akron (the rubber capital then) said hey lets make tires look like the Indy Car's with GOODYEAR Polyglas and Firestone 500 and Atlas and BF Goodrich and every other name in big bold WHITE RAISED LETTERS. The buying public thought it was cool. In an instant it replaced the red-line (red wall tires) that GM had tire makers make specifically for their Pontiac sporty models beginning in about '62, and the Corvette also had red wall tires in the sixties. You guessed it other mfr'rs tried gold wall and blue wall tires to copy GM but only the red-line tire was seen as cool until the giant bold white raised letter tires became the rage from the end of the sixties until the late seventies. Excess in bad taste like vinyl roofs and chickens on hoods of Firebirds and ugly loud stripes and decals on most every sporty Detroit piece of garbage during this time.
I don't see what you guys are whining about. Looks fine to me

Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM

169 posts, read 284,084 times
I love whitewalls but on the right cars. The more square boxy cars previous to 1993. For me, it all depends on the car.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
When I worked on campus when in school years ago, they sent me to get new tires on a state vehicle. It was the same price for the whitewalls or the blackwalls and the guy at the tire shop asked if I wanted the whitewalls in or out. I told them out. About a month later, at work, they told me I needed to run the car back to the tire shop and have the whitewalls turned inward. Someone had complained to the state that the car had whitewalls and that was a waste of taxpayer money. I thought the whitewalls looked good on that Plymouth Fury. The blackwalls made it look ready for the Dukes of Hazard.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times
Because my wife kept hitting the curb.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
When I worked on campus when in school years ago, they sent me to get new tires on a state vehicle. It was the same price for the whitewalls or the blackwalls and the guy at the tire shop asked if I wanted the whitewalls in or out. I told them out. About a month later, at work, they told me I needed to run the car back to the tire shop and have the whitewalls turned inward. Someone had complained to the state that the car had whitewalls and that was a waste of taxpayer money. I thought the whitewalls looked good on that Plymouth Fury. The blackwalls made it look ready for the Dukes of Hazard.
Kind of like all the police cars in town had hubcaps except the cheif had full wheelcovers... amazing how every detail is noticed.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonpartisan1 View Post
The whole purpose of white walls in the first place was to increase the apparent wheel diameter. Since low-profile tires essentially hadn't been developed yet. It was purely an aesthetic move. The white walls (and later white stripe) helped to reduce the 'doughnut' effect of small wheels buried within high-profile tires.

Now we have such low-profile tires (and large wheels) on cars that white walls (even stripes) are somewhere between redundant and impossible.

White Stripe ≠ White Walls btw.
Thank you for clarifying that!! My parents' cars (70s-early 80s) were "white stripes". I think that the "white walls" were from an earlier time.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:38 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonpartisan1 View Post
I don't see what you guys are whining about. Looks fine to me
Well, let's face it; some just have poor taste!

Anyway, I think the whitewall tires shown in the 1975 and 1976 Cadillac brochure look very good. I don't see how a plain-looking blackwall tire would look "better." See photos below.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive