Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You twomust be marketing geniuses because you think gm could make more money on trying to sell 80k Tahoes instead of Escalades when the rest of the automotive industry does the same thing. Premium features premium price = premium brand.
So, how do you like your Escalade, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
In my younger years, we ALMOST bought a '83 Cimmeron new but wife lost job and we ended up with an Accord instead. Accord lasted 13 years. I doubt the little caddy would have lasted that long. While it rode better than the Cavallier , it was just a guzzied up chevy. I am driving my mom's 05 Deville now. They bought 6 caddies and everyone was better than the previous one. I do think the '85 was the worst. The '84 didn't have enough power and would downshift too often. So far, the Northstar in the '05 is run well but I am diligent about maintenance.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You twomust be marketing geniuses because you think gm could make more money on trying to sell 80k Tahoes instead of Escalades when the rest of the automotive industry does the same thing. Premium features premium price = premium brand.
That's the trick!

Top luxury brands are composed of great sports or luxury cars.

The Cadillac Escalade is composed of options! Almost like a top tier package! GMC Denali Escalade Edition.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
IMO, two things happened to Cadillac. First, they became an also ran; they once had little competition. Lincoln, and sometimes Jaguar and Mercedes and BMW, especially later, were about it. Then the Japanese and Audi all got in the game and the quality controls of a Lexus beat the tar out of what you would see in a lot of Cadillacs. Also, while the competition worked to stay vital and fresh and appealing to a wide demographic, Caddies aged with their customer base, making wonderfully floaty rides with amazing AC systems and decent stereos for listening to Don Imus and Rush Limbaugh. For the most part they made good rides with decent creature comforts, but They no longer commanded the same sizzle. I would still take most caddies over anything else if I had to spend lots of time in my car. Lately, they seem to be trying to recapture that. I hope they do.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
I'm a big fan of the CTS and ATS. Not so much the Escalade and XTS.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
My Lexus ES is now 5 years old, and has required a new battery and one brake light bulb in that time. Both were covered by the basic warranty. They could use some fresh styling, but I will probably stick with the brand for life because of reliability alone.
Acura TL, my last car, was not even second-tier. Three transmissions among other problems. Junk!
Cadillacs are looking much better, but I still don't see great reliability in the data compiled by Consumer Reports.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Caddy is making good strides, but they're brand image is still in flux. If a foreign competitor came out with their current product line, it wouldn't fit into any category either - maybe like a less refined but higher performance Infiniti?

They seem to be taking aim at BMW's previous 'performance' spot, but with out the heritage or refinement - while lacking a flagship and bringing in down market models that have been prettied up to look like luxury cars (XTS, Escalade, SRX).

The ATS and CSV are the stand outs, but they lack the refinement of accepted luxury cars.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
When I was a kid Cadillac was an old mans car, now they're BMW killers (getting there anyway)..That's quite a turn around.
You have got to be kidding me. Have you ever driven a BMW and Caddy? Totally different. What Caddy could compare to a 330xi? M5? M3? Then you have the gangster Escalades running around. One of the most primitive cars in the world and very dangerous since they can't avoid any accidents, they just plow forward hitting whatever or worse yet, flipping over. Come on, please don't compare Caddy to BMW.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You have got to be kidding me. Have you ever driven a BMW and Caddy? Totally different. What Caddy could compare to a 330xi? M5? M3? Then you have the gangster Escalades running around. One of the most primitive cars in the world and very dangerous since they can't avoid any accidents, they just plow forward hitting whatever or worse yet, flipping over. Come on, please don't compare Caddy to BMW.
Curtis,

I don't think you have driven a Caddy recently. Let alone a BMW. The ATS is solid effort by Cadillac. Read up on it and you will be surprised. They are releasing a V version later this year. So, who knows if it will compete with the M3. The 330xi hasn't been made in few years. Off the top of my head, 2005. The top of the line 3 series (non M) is the 335i. Different beast. Twin turbo. The CTS is new for 2014 and just came out so I doubt you have driven one.

Just ignore the Esclade it is not meant to compete with BMW, same goes for the XTS.

I am not a Caddy fan but I at least acknowledge that they are now making some competitive cars.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
That's the trick!

Top luxury brands are composed of great sports or luxury cars.

The Cadillac Escalade is composed of options! Almost like a top tier package! GMC Denali Escalade Edition.
I guess you could go ask VW to build you a 150k Touareg using Porsche parts because its "exactly the same car" but cool kids like you wont troll up a Porsche thread or site because of lame hypocrisy and ignorant hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive