Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times

Advertisements

13.5 years, 221k miles and counting. I don't have a firm plan, but I don't think I'll be buying a car for another couple years at least. I'm too invested in this one, just had the timing belt changed again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Since the average age of cars on the road is 11.4 years, I guess the average American is keeping his car for about 11 years?
Timing2012--

I plan on keeping my cars until the wheels fall off.

Of course, things do come up - someone makes me an offer I can't refuse, for instance.

Cars can become money pits, but you can bend that equation in your favor by getting a Chilton's repair manual, a decent tool box, and get to know the guys at your local auto parts store. The only things I won't mess with is the engine or transmission, and that's more due to my lack of garage to do extensive work than anything else. Just don't buy anything made by Chrysler in the 90's, and you'll do just fine.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM

528 posts, read 823,584 times
I have 4 vehicles, the average age is 15.25 years. The oldest is a '86 Daytona Turbo Z that I bought new. Next is a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that is my DD with just 98,000 miles. The most recent is a 39,000 mile Crossfire Roadster that I picked up last winter. I am 60, these three are going no where baring any major catastrophe. I am very happy with all three and can see them being the cars I own until I either can't drive or I, well you know. The last is my wife's '05 Mazda 6 with just over 75,000 which should last a few more years. She hates car payments and has only had two in 28 years of marriage.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
I have had horrible car buying habits.... once every 2 years so far.
Last year, I traded in my 2011 for 2012... yeah... horrible!
With the current car, I am hoping to break this habit and will try to keep for at least 7yrs.
This time, I will try to modify the exterior once a year or so... so that at least there will be some aesthetic changes to the car that will keep me attracted to it. This coming Spring I am planning on a underbody spoiler kit and the next year it will be new wheels and etc. Probably waste of money but it sure beats doing a trade in every 2 years.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
2002 Toyota, 135,000 miles. Never had any breakdowns and only regular maintenance. Hoping it lasts another 10 years. I only drive 2,400 miles a year.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
As long as it last. Car is a depreciating asset so the longer I keep them, the more money I save for other things (maybe a "fun" car someday).
This ^^^

We usually keep ours until they're ready to die. Wife has a 95 Volvo, engine still cherry, no rust. I got rid of my 93 Saab when the tranny started to go in 2009 and bought a piece of crap faux-SUV for carrying our catering business supplies during the Cash for Clunkers deal. Since we sold that business I hate driving the thing, so this one might be an exception.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
As long as it last. Car is a depreciating asset so the longer I keep them, the more money I save for other things (maybe a "fun" car someday).
I have a 2006 Honda Civic coupe, 107,000 miles. The only things I had to replace were a motor mount and a starter, excluding regular maintenance. I guess I will keep it until is structurally unsafe ( i.e. rust or a bad collision). I don't mind if I have to do an engine or transmission rebuild years later. I can't see financing something that depreciates the moment I drive it off the lot. Thanks, Dave Ramsey.

Last edited by 69GSstage1; 10-09-2013 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
13.5 years, 221k miles and counting. I don't have a firm plan, but I don't think I'll be buying a car for another couple years at least. I'm too invested in this one, just had the timing belt changed again.
Impressive Greg. We are due for a timing belt for one of our cars soon. Is this a dealer only job or do you take it to your local mechanic?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Impressive Greg. We are due for a timing belt for one of our cars soon. Is this a dealer only job or do you take it to your local mechanic?
I took it to the dealer (Baierl) the first time. I didn't want to go there again necessarily because they push stupid too-soon maintenance intervals. But, some crap happened and I decided I was running out of time trying to find a new place to go, so I decided to go back there again. Devil you know. When they did it the first time, the belt lasted the full 105k interval again. I figured it'd be worth it for the knowledge that it should again be the case, and the price they quoted me was acceptable for the package. My other accessory belts also lasted the interval, and they do the water pump, and the whole package was $600, and I got to drive a nice Acura ILX loaner. I made sure they didn't do anything else at rip-off prices, but that package deal didn't sound far out of whack to me.

Check prices and stuff but if you're going to keep the car several more years there might be an advantage to having the factory knowledge and/or a lot of experience at hand when replacing this critical item. Or not. Some cars don't get damaged if the belt breaks, but mine does. If it's a Honda product there is one independent shop in the southeast burbs somewhere that specializes in these, but I decided that was not worth driving an hour from my house. You're not a whole lot closer to it.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Since I can't own every car I like at once, I take turns buying one at a time. So I generally buy something different on my list every 3-4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive