Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Hey... my owner's manual says single weight SAE40 non-detergent...

Things do change over time.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-15-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 04:37 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Good post!

Sometimes engine makers like VW will command that for certain engines like their TDI engine that you not only get the weight right, but you must also only use motor oils that meet specific standards, if you don't want to damage your engine. Mechanics will tell you not to worry about it and use whatever oil is sponsoring their favorite NASCAR driver, mostly because they have no idea what their talking about.
Yet another completely stupid-arse post.

Mechanics know what we're talking about. You obviously don't.

By the way, it's pretty obvious who you are - and that as a "previous user" that got banned, you've just come back with another name.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
This is a fun thread!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
This is a fun thread!
Non-mechanics versus mechanics.

The outcome is uncertain if you're talking about something other than mechanical issues. But when you're talking about cars, not so much...

Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
If you arent burning any oil, I would stay with what is recommended. However to those tooting the horn to ALWAYS follow manufacturer recommendations, I don't agree. In real world, some users will find that other weights work better than what was recommended. I think the subaru wrx community is one of them.

Back on topic, if youre not burning oil, use what is recommended, once you start to see youre losing oil either at the dipstick or visibly burning, I would go heavier to compensate. I had a 240sx that burned oil on the lighter recommended weight, so I went heavier and it never burned.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Shoot, Teddy, well you should know then that just because Toyota does extensive testing and engineering to arrive at their oil recommendations, actually all of that testing and research means nothing, and if you really want to know what oil you should be using you need to ask a mechanic that will make a recommendation based on absolutely nothing but their own lack of knowledge and understanding.

Think about it, who knows more about automobiles, the Toyota Motor Corporation or some mechanic?

No doubt the car manufacturers spend millions researching their brands, but you do know there are recalls all the time right? So the engineers know a ton but, dont know everything, and when placed in real world situation by the thousands, unforeseen errors arise.

I think both the engineers and those mechanics that focus on specific brands need to get their recognition. Plenty of mechanics (even the backyard wrenchers) know plenty of ways to make a car better, which is slightly subjective. But the manufacturers make most cars suitable for the the average Joe, completely limiting potential and keeping it as idiot proof as possible.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Mechanics know what we're talking about. You obviously don't.
Of course there are mechanics out there that are extremely knowledgeable. But to say that engineers - the people who design engines - know nothing about them really makes you loose credibility.

Let me guess, here come the personal attacks...

Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Of course there are mechanics out there that are extremely knowledgeable. But to say that engineers - the people who design engines - know nothing about them really makes you loose credibility.

Let me guess, here come the personal attacks...
Engineers don't write owners manuals. And you will not find me saying that engineers who design engines know nothing about them. Better do some re-reading.

...also, the proper word is "lose" not "loose." Thank you.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:15 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
No doubt the car manufacturers spend millions researching their brands, but you do know there are recalls all the time right? So the engineers know a ton but, dont know everything, and when placed in real world situation by the thousands, unforeseen errors arise.

I think both the engineers and those mechanics that focus on specific brands need to get their recognition. Plenty of mechanics (even the backyard wrenchers) know plenty of ways to make a car better, which is slightly subjective. But the manufacturers make most cars suitable for the the average Joe, completely limiting potential and keeping it as idiot proof as possible.

------" there are recalls all the time "......

WHEN was the last recall for engine failure due to the recommendation of the wrong viscosity oil ?

WHEN was the last time they had to warn owners that their viscosity recommendation was wrong and it was now being changed ?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
Engineers don't write owners manuals. And you will not find me saying that engineers who design engines know nothing about them. Better do some re-reading.

...also, the proper word is "lose" not "loose." Thank you.
Quote:
One thing IS obvious - and that is that you've never had your hands inside an engine. And you've also never been around these "shade tree mechanics" that are rebuilding engines that are BETTER than stock. BETTER than they were from the factory. Those guys know multiplied times more about engines than some engineer, or a computer nerd who is writing, "Call your authorized service center," in an owners manual.
That's what I was referring to. You got some conflicting statements going on.

Thank you for pointing out my typo! No one would have known what I meant without that correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive