Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,453,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
One might assume he meant Carmax ?
ORLY?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:28 AM

129 posts, read 235,281 times
There were some nice cars out getting picked apart after cash-for-clunkers.

The radiator in my van came out of a 62,000 mile C30 ambulance that came up from PA and had no rust on it, it even had recently been tuned up. I bought it not even needing it at the time because it looked like a recent replacement. Had I been able to I would have bought the whole ambulance, and used that as my flea and swap hauler.

But if you know where to look, you can still get used cars inexpensively. It just takes some poking around, and you may have to settle for a tad older than you would have before.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:48 AM

9,782 posts, read 11,438,177 times
What does the fox say?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM

14,986 posts, read 23,765,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, I got my $4K for trading in the old family war-wagon at the end of its useful life. Since we were in the market for a new car anyway, we took Uncle Sam's money with no hesitation.

It was about time our family got something inour direction from the gov't!
And that's what's wrong with the concept - "from the government". People truly believe that somehow money appears out of thin air. It's not from the government, it's not Uncle Sam's money, it's from the taxpayer or, if you want, your children's money since they are left paying the bills. Thank your children for helping them buy your new car and when their tax rate jumps, let them know why.
The Cash for Clunkers program was a sham on many levels, not the least bit in that it sacrificed long term solutions for short term goals.

And the related carfax/carfox/carmax discussion? huh? Totally unrelated topic.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,697,444 times
The salvage yards took a beating on it. We had to use a special additive to blow all the motors in any of them that were running. Took the price of scrap to new lows, while we still had to pay the same payroll. Those were scary days.

And a lot of the new car dealers wanted NO part in it, either. Amazingly, they still sold cars just fine. The dealers that participated went crying all the way to the bank.

I have seen Carfax lie. We had a 2002 Focus in the dealership and the guys wanted to run it because the general manager wanted to warranty a wiring problem in the cab. We could see the water line where it had been immersed. Carfax was clean, no flood damage reported.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 PM

9,782 posts, read 11,438,177 times
Used car prices in So Cal Are crazy because of Cash for Clunkers.
It's lead to people here asking some ridiculous prices here for older used cars.
Wasn't it a loan that we gave to GM/Chrysler not a bailout?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:08 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,765,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Used car prices in So Cal Are crazy because of Cash for Clunkers.
It's lead to people here asking some ridiculous prices here for older used cars.
Wasn't it a loan that we gave to GM/Chrysler not a bailout?
The "Cash for Clunkers" program was not considered part of the $50billion loan/bailout, but of course since it directly benifited the auto industry (and hurt other industries) in a sense it was.

The GM/Chrysler loan/bailout was secured by company stock which the US has mostly sold, and some cash payback. To this date the taxpayer is still out $14 BILLION dollars. The current stock price is only worth about $4billion, leaving us with the shortfall. Thus about $10 billion of this "loan" will probably never be collected in spite of some 4 consecutive quarters of profits by GM.
Gee thanks GM.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 PM

The U.S. Treasury’s deal to sell 30 million shares of General Motors Co. will recoup taxpayers another $1 billion of the bailout money the government put into the automaker back in 2009.
All told, taxpayers have recovered $32.5 billion of the $49.5 billion used to restructure the nation’s biggest automaker. The government also still owns 189 million GM shares, worth about $6.5 billion at the $34.41 share price that the Treasury got for the batch of stock it sold this week.
If the Treasury is able to liquidate its remaining stock, as it plans to do over the next 15 months, at that price or above, the government will still be short about $10 billion on its GM investment.
However, Treasury officials say that the goal of the auto industry bailout was to save the industry and jobs rather than make a profit on the investment.
To date, the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) that funded the bailout of GM and other companies has recouped over 95%, or $399.40 billion, of the $420 billion it disbursed, the Treasury Department said.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:32 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,040,079 times
Wasn't it also right around that time that Toyota started getting a lot of bad press? I believe they had just surpassed GM as the #1 manufacturer in the world or something like that. Coincidence? I think not! Amazing how the press has become an arm of government...

Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM

it depends on which press you subscribe to IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive