Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:51 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,761,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
The U.S. Treasury’s deal to sell 30 million shares of General Motors Co. will recoup taxpayers another $1 billion of the bailout money the government put into the automaker back in 2009.
All told, taxpayers have recovered $32.5 billion of the $49.5 billion used to restructure the nation’s biggest automaker. The government also still owns 189 million GM shares, worth about $6.5 billion at the $34.41 share price that the Treasury got for the batch of stock it sold this week.
If the Treasury is able to liquidate its remaining stock, as it plans to do over the next 15 months, at that price or above, the government will still be short about $10 billion on its GM investment.
However, Treasury officials say that the goal of the auto industry bailout was to save the industry and jobs rather than make a profit on the investment.
To date, the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) that funded the bailout of GM and other companies has recouped over 95%, or $399.40 billion, of the $420 billion it disbursed, the Treasury Department said.
Ahem...cut n paste reference maybe and a review of TOS.

Taxpayers' loss on GM bailout looks to be about $10 billion - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,696,368 times
sorry.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,268,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
ORLY?
OK, I'm going to have nightmares about that picture tonight.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Wasn't it also right around that time that Toyota started getting a lot of bad press? I believe they had just surpassed GM as the #1 manufacturer in the world or something like that. Coincidence? I think not! Amazing how the press has become an arm of government...
YES!! And the allegations of manufacturing defects conveniently disappeared from the press after they were shown to be false...but not until they'd done plenty of PR damage.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,039,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
YES!! And the allegations of manufacturing defects conveniently disappeared from the press after they were shown to be false...but not until they'd done plenty of PR damage.
I still don't think it did them enough good because people are still buying their Toyota's.

I just can't buy a product made from UAW hands.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I still don't think it did them enough good because people are still buying their Toyota's.

I just can't buy a product made from UAW hands.
I know lots of conservatives who used to always "buy American" because of the old 1980's auto patriotism. But they stopped talking up "American" after that bailout mess, and now a few of them have quietly bought Japanese cars since then.

Even my dad (who makes Rush Limbaugh look like Nancy Pelosi) has finally gone Toyota! Good thing, too, after all the wretched GM cars he had. I've been buying Toyotas and Hondas since a lemon Pontiac took 10 yrs off my life, but now no one ever criticizes me for it or questions my patriotism.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM

16,351 posts, read 30,059,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
And made used auto parts skyrocket. A lot of good cars were destroyed because of this scam.

And at the time people weren't in a frenzy to buy American cars--they bought Japanese.

That was the truth. Within one week, our local Toyota dealer had no car smaller than a Camry EVEN THOUGH he a larger than normal allotment that year.

On the other hand, the local Chrysler dealer sold the three Dodge Calibers he had in stock.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,837,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
You do realize, don't you, that the money didn't come from the government? It came from the taxpayers - in other words, your neighbors. And you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Since I paid for it, you're welcome. Not really.
Yes, I do realize that Cash for Clunkers was taxpayers money and I agree that the concept of C for C's was ridiculous at best. However, since the gov't chose to run the program and they were going to spend that money anyway, I saw no problem in taking advantage of the offer and scooping up my $4K. No regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive