U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2013, 01:25 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 31,079,532 times
Reputation: 3835

Advertisements

Chevrolet Citation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find it interesting that the X body car was first introduced 5 years before the first Citation appeared on the market--April 1974--right at the tail end of the first energy crisis, and that the Citations' introduction on the market was right at the beginning of the second energy crisis (April 1979)--and that versions of the body were introduced in 1976

I post this because I drove one on and off from 80-87. the pwr steering did indeed develop a "dead spot" in it's later years
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2013, 02:09 PM
 
3,387 posts, read 4,813,786 times
Reputation: 4506
I was so fed up with the '75 volvo 242 in '79 that I almost bought one of those X body POS. Thankfully, I didn't as I would have traded one set of problems for another.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 PM
 
17,321 posts, read 21,130,433 times
Reputation: 22632
How does, "The first prototypes were created in mid-summer 1976, with the intent of releasing it as a 1978 model. This did not happen, largely due to problems with supply of parts that up to that point, had never before been produced", equal, "the X body car was first introduced 5 years before the first Citation appeared on the market--April 1974--right at the tail end of the first energy crisis"?

Unless there are some details that I have never previously read, and which are not mentioned in that Wiki article, it appears that only prototypes existed prior to late 1979. Can you elaborate regarding the information about X-cars existing 5 years prior to the introduction of the Citation and its stable-mates?

As to Rogarven's comment, I was the extremely unhappy owner of a '74 Volvo 242 GL, which was the absolute worst POS that I ever owned. While my '81 Citation--which I bought to replace the Volvo--was not a good car, believe it or not, it was far more reliable than the Volvo, and required fewer repairs over the years that I owned it.

Yes, I know that saying that my Citation was better than a Volvo is...faint praise...but it honestly was a better car than that Volvo!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 PM
 
3,387 posts, read 4,813,786 times
Reputation: 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
How does, "The first prototypes were created in mid-summer 1976, with the intent of releasing it as a 1978 model. This did not happen, largely due to problems with supply of parts that up to that point, had never before been produced", equal, "the X body car was first introduced 5 years before the first Citation appeared on the market--April 1974--right at the tail end of the first energy crisis"?

Unless there are some details that I have never previously read, and which are not mentioned in that Wiki article, it appears that only prototypes existed prior to late 1979. Can you elaborate regarding the information about X-cars existing 5 years prior to the introduction of the Citation and its stable-mates?

As to Rogarven's comment, I was the extremely unhappy owner of a '74 Volvo 242 GL, which was the absolute worst POS that I ever owned. While my '81 Citation--which I bought to replace the Volvo--was not a good car, believe it or not, it was far more reliable than the Volvo, and required fewer repairs over the years that I owned it.

Yes, I know that saying that my Citation was better than a Volvo is...faint praise...but it honestly was a better car than that Volvo!

I am thankful we did NOT buy a X body. The Volvo was fine for 2 years, then started costing us big sums of money to keep going. It stranded us several times as it quit running, good thing we belonged to AAA to get towed. It was serviced by one of the top mechanics in Dallas so I know they knew about the car. Granted, the body was well-built but the engine stunk! The reason I didn't trade it for an X body as I knew we were wanting to buy a house and I didn't want a car payment when we went to apply for home loan. We later got an '83 Accord which I kept for 14 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,237 posts, read 22,995,993 times
Reputation: 2245
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Chevrolet Citation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find it interesting that the X body car was first introduced 5 years before the first Citation appeared on the market--April 1974--right at the tail end of the first energy crisis, and that the Citations' introduction on the market was right at the beginning of the second energy crisis (April 1979)--and that versions of the body were introduced in 1976

I post this because I drove one on and off from 80-87. the pwr steering did indeed develop a "dead spot" in it's later years
The X body was introduced in 1962 as a low dollar economy car. It was killed off on December 10 1978 in favor for the Citation. Another example of when they kill off a good thing for something not good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
 
17,321 posts, read 21,130,433 times
Reputation: 22632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
The X body was introduced in 1962 as a low dollar economy car. It was killed off on December 10 1978 in favor for the Citation. Another example of when they kill off a good thing for something not good.
The X-body designation of the '60s was for RWD vehicle.
The X-body designation of the '80s was for a totally different FWD vehicle.

Aside from the differences in drive systems, if you compare the suspensions of the two, "X", cars you will see that they are different designs. Just as Henry Ford used the designation, "Model A", more than once, GM used the designation, "X-body", more than once.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,237 posts, read 22,995,993 times
Reputation: 2245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The X-body designation of the '60s was for RWD vehicle.
The X-body designation of the '80s was for a totally different FWD vehicle.

Aside from the differences in drive systems, if you compare the suspensions of the two, "X", cars you will see that they are different designs. Just as Henry Ford used the designation, "Model A", more than once, GM used the designation, "X-body", more than once.

Yep well aware of that. Just it sounded like the Citation was available in '74....might have been a concept car. The FWD X body was crap. The RWD X body kicked butt and still does. Chevy II/Nova....they should have kept it around longer IMO
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 10:38 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,608 posts, read 47,687,388 times
Reputation: 34243
2nd gen Citation (celebrity/sport wagon) was one of my best ever. 240,000 miles with only one change of sparkplugs and wires.

in it's later life, it would only steer one direction till warm, I just planned my trips that direction and would back into the driveway on cold nights so I wouldn't get stuck having to turn toward a 'dead-end' street.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Floribama
18,193 posts, read 37,251,200 times
Reputation: 17539
My Mom used to have an '82 Phoenix (same as Citation). I don't remember to ever having any steering problems, however it did seem to go through CV joints. Reverse gear also eventually went out, I remember pushing that car backwards many days, LOL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 13,400,849 times
Reputation: 4846
I never had any steering issues with my '81 Citation. It was ugly, slow, but dead nuts reliable for the 323,000 miles the family had it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top