Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 AM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times

Advertisements

I noticed that on my rear tires on my Suburban there are tiny hairline cracks between the tread. There is still plenty of tread left on the tire so at first glance they seem almost new but the little cracks concern me. I would really hate to replace tires that still seem to be in really good shape when I don't absolutely have to. Money is pretty tight right now and with the holidays coming up I would hate to spend money on new tires if I don't have to.

Do you think I need to replace these sooner rather than later? Since they are in the rear they probably don't get the same abuse that the front tires get so maybe they can last a bit longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
No need to worry about hairline cracks between the treads. That's part and parcel of the tremendous stress that tires endure as part of their normal service life. Bolstering those hairline cracks are extremely durable woven steel threads. It's hairline cracks along the sidewall that should be a concern.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
What does the DOT stamp say? That will tell you how old the tires are.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

2nd

Tires wear out from use, and became unsafe from age. 10 year old tires that've only seen 1000 miles are just as bad as 1 year old tires that've done 100% of their rated life (60~80k), just as unsafe to drive on. And with droping road temps, increasing precipitation, we're coming into the time of year when you want good rubber meeting the road.

You may be fine, tires DO develop surface cracks later in life while they still retain usability, but don't assume so.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
3rd on checking the dates on the tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
3rd on checking the dates on the tires.
I agree with VMaxNC and BostonMike . . . HOW OLD ARE THE TIRES?

Most "safety experts" feel any tire older than six years, regardless of mileage, is just not worth the risk.

Granted, tires are expensive, however, an accident, even a fairly minor accident can and probably will cost considerably more.

Once again, NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
2nd

Tires wear out from use, and became unsafe from age. 10 year old tires that've only seen 1000 miles are just as bad as 1 year old tires that've done 100% of their rated life (60~80k), just as unsafe to drive on. .
That's not a constant. Tires will last much longer if they are stored in the dark. Even a spare in the wheel well will remain fresh much, much longer than one exposed to daylight on the car. Daylight kills rubber.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:48 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's not a constant. Tires will last much longer if they are stored in the dark. Even a spare in the wheel well will remain fresh much, much longer than one exposed to daylight on the car. Daylight kills rubber.
I bought my car brand new in 2003......it still has the original tires.....and they look fine, plenty of tread, no cracks.

My car is in the garage most of the time.....only 32,000 miles. A garage queen.....she still looks brand new.

Are my tires OK?

I have been reading these old tire threads lately and I can't make up my mind if I really should get new tires......just because.

I have asked several male friends to look at my tires.....they all said I don't need new tires.

I don't know what to do.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I bought my car brand new in 2003......it still has the original tires.....and they look fine, plenty of tread, no cracks.

My car is in the garage most of the time.....only 32,000 miles. A garage queen.....she still looks brand new.

Are my tires OK?

I have been reading these old tire threads lately and I can't make up my mind if I really should get new tires......just because.

I have asked several male friends to look at my tires.....they all said I don't need new tires.

I don't know what to do.
Unfortunately there is no absolute answer to your question. I'm not in agreement with those that say 6 years is the max lifespan for a tire. There are so many variables that factor into this that's it's impossible to make a blanket statement like that. And some of us have been driving on tires much older than that for many years, but suddenly they're all dangerous?

The tires on my truck are Michelins with less than 20K miles, but about 10 years of age. I have no intention of replacing them any time soon.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I have one old tractor that I bought 23 years ago and it still has the same tires. Most of the tread was used before I bought it. Have an old baler with very old car tires on it. One is starting to come apart, but they still hold air. Sprayed some of the tires around here with various coatings to help make the sidewalls last. Somebody noted the sun kills them and I have found this to be the case as well. For a vehicle on the highway, I probably would be watching them very closely if they have been on 12 years. Have an F150 that I put new tires on in 2002 and they still look very good. One failed with a rock cut, but the 3 original ones are holding out well. I have found that there is usually some warning before they completely go. Tend to feel it on the road first and then look for the separation. Gives you a little warning and time to get the old tire off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive