Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,747 times

Advertisements

Car wars: Battling to sell luxury for under $50k - NBC News.com

"
Looking to drive in luxury for less than $50,000? Right now may the best opportunity in years to get the model you want at the price you want. Thanks to a combination of aggressive lease deals and more choices for entry-level luxury, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus and Cadillac, sales for less than $50,000 are soaring.

"The battle among luxury auto brands to capture buyers with models under $50,000 is the fiercest it's ever been," said Edmunds.com's Jessica Caldwell. "Look at all the models out there right now in that price range. They are all very good models, so there are more choices for first-time buyers."

"With more models vying for the attention of buyers looking to spend less than $40,000, it's not surprising some mass-market non-luxury sedans like the Nissan Maxima (starting MSRP $31,000) have seen sales drop this year.
Caldwell said the growth in entry-level luxury makes it tougher for higher-priced non-luxury brands, "You know, a lot of buyers are thinking, 'Hey, for a few more bucks I can get a Mercedes or BMW, so why not?'"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:34 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Caldwell said the growth in entry-level luxury makes it tougher for higher-priced non-luxury brands, "You know, a lot of buyers are thinking, 'Hey, for a few more bucks I can get a Mercedes or BMW, so why not?'"

I think almost the opposite. The consumer brand cars (Camry for example) have about the same amenities as the fru fru brands. Same safety features for the most part. And, after the first month, a vehicle is just a way to get to work. Heater, Air conditioner, stereo, forward, backward, ...that's 98% of the driving experience right there.

Save the $15K and invest it.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:45 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
I prefer the Lexus brand overwhelmingly over the others, specifically the GS. I'd opt for the 2013 Toyota Avalon as well. Beautiful car after the redesign.

Not interested at all in BMW since the only model I like, the 7-series, has a reputation for spending more time in the shop than on the road. I've never been interested in the Mercedes.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
There is no "entry level" BMW. The quality of all their models is the same. BMW does not put cheaper parts in their smaller models.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM

411 posts, read 831,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I think almost the opposite. The consumer brand cars (Camry for example) have about the same amenities as the fru fru brands. Same safety features for the most part. And, after the first month, a vehicle is just a way to get to work. Heater, Air conditioner, stereo, forward, backward, ...that's 98% of the driving experience right there.

Save the $15K and invest it.
Even though a Camry is superior automobile in every way to most of the so-called luxury brands, people don't perceive a Camry as having the ability to make them cool.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 AM

411 posts, read 831,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
There is no "entry level" BMW. The quality of all their models is the same. BMW does not put cheaper parts in their smaller models.
Entry level is just a marketing term used to make people feel bad about driving certain vehicles and to supposedly motivate them into buying a more expensive vehicle.

GM did everything possible to convince people that small cars were junk, mostly by building small cars that were junk and applying the term "entry level" to them, while the Japanese auto makers took another route by building small cars that were actually far superior to even the most expensive pieces of junk put together by moronic trash producing organizations like GM and Ford.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:27 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Egos do not pay for luxury. Egos pay for wrongly understood image.
True luxury is not in those cars anyway. It's way up high past $100K mark.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
True luxury is not in those cars anyway. It's way up high past $100K mark.
Agreed. For a new car, true luxury isn't found at the $50k level, not even close. I would argue that there's a few models out there that can provide a lot of luxury for about $80k+ (the Tesla Model S starts at around $72k with the smaller battery pack.)

Old 10-16-2013, 09:16 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I am cannot speak for everyone's ownership and driving experience. However, I have noticed that there tends to be a noticeable difference between your typical mainstream brand and luxury brand. Although that difference may not be in feature content, things like comfort, sound intrusion, ride and handling dynamics, and a number of other areas tend to feel more refined among the pricier brands.

Thats not to say the mainstream brands are not peddling junk. Far from it. I would not universally say there is no value in the higher end brands however. Depending on what the buyer really wants in a vehicle. (It also depends on the specific luxo brand vehicle... some are better than others).

Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
I drive a luxury SUV--mid level. I initially thought I'd buy a Toyota, Honda or GMC SUV, or a Toyota or Honda minivan, but after I drove the luxury car, it was a no-brainer. It is way more fun to drive than the others. I am in my car a lot and it was well worth $15K more for the getty-up and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive