Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

I guess that's a good service for peace of mind. I never knew what it entailed because I've never needed to go to a mechanic.

Btw...check out rockauto.com for parts. autozone will price match them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Had my '95 Maxima in for routine maintenance. This was after the guy who had always worked on it and our other Nissans had quit. Some guy I'd never seen before comes out to the waiting room all serious like it's bad news at the doctor's office and tells me I have a leak at the front of the engine and it's getting the timing belt wet. If I don't fix it now it will cost a fortune later. Since I'm a repeat customer they'll fix it for $800.00. I had just been under the hood and there was no leak.

I told him to fix what it was brought in for and nothing else.

When I got home I called the service manger and told him that that guy was not to work on my car or talk to me again.

I called the owner (Who I bought the car from originally) and told him what happened and that if it ever happened to me again he was going to lose our business.

I never saw that jerk again and the next time I took the car in muy regular guy was back. I asked him about the jerk, and he did a quick look around and asked me what I had said to the boss. Apparently I wasn't the only one as he got a call and a healthy raise to come back to work there.

LMAO!!

Oh, and the car went another three years with no "timing belt" problems.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:58 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I looked this up online when I got home today and got even more angry. Yes, it is very easy to locate. I guess I could one last round get a handy person to do this.

But I really need to establish a relationship with a mechanic now. I am not from this area so I need a dependable person to look after my car.

Btw, I try to get a number of readings for diagnostic codes. My brakes were really needing replacing and I didn't want to keep driving on them. When the check engine light came on that was my cue to get into somewhere today.
Out of curiosity, what is the make, model, and year of your car - and engine, if you know it?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Sounds like you learned a big lesson, CMichele . . .

Unfortunately, choosing a "Medical Professional" for your vehicle is as important and requires as much research as choosing a Medical Professionals for yourself nowadays.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Glad I can do my own butcher..........I mean, glad I can do my own work.

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Which includes what exactly??

How I winterize my cars.

1) put snow scraper in trunk

That's it.
So you never do any of the things she listed? Just toss a scraper in the trunk and call it good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
It's time for an oil change.
Wiper check (I doubt I need them as they were changed in May)
Tire balance/rotation and tread check
Battery check. I learned my lesson with this.
Fluid check
__

My snow scraper never leaves my trunk.

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Which includes what exactly??

How I winterize my cars.

1) put snow scraper in trunk

That's it.
I'd do no less than test the coolant, to see that it'll protect to its maximum capacity. Replace windshield washer fluid with winter-mix. In some cases I recommend customers go to a lighter oil for winter.

But we're a rather extreme cold climate...

Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So you never do any of the things she listed? Just toss a scraper in the trunk and call it good?

Of course I do. If anything I overmaintain. I have a lift in my garage..

Just wasn't sure what the service offered. Sometimes I feel some of these services are gimmicks.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-16-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
After recently moving here from a different state, I scheduled an oil change appointment.

When it was done and I paid for it, I asked what the $1.50 charge was for windshield washer fluid.
They said...............as a courtesy to the customer........they always check and top off fluids.

I told him I topped off my wind shield washer fluid before coming and never used it on the 1.2 mile drive to their shop.

Last time I go there !

Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the make, model, and year of your car - and engine, if you know it?
2005 Ford Focus brought brand new. The engine is 4L. Front wheel drive though it has served me well in moving from the south to an area experiencing blizzards. Gently used until about over 3 years ago when I moved to a more sprawling area. I try to drive as little as possible but have definitely racked up miles in recent years.

And yes, the wiper fluid. I always run out of that this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive