Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:15 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times

Advertisements

My old Isuzu SUV's paint job was perfectly fine even after 14 years without a garage. Unless the car is destined to be a classic I don't see the big deal in housing a car for that reason.

I miss having a garage but only because I would like to store my bikes and other frequently needed things there instead of the basement. Also good for getting into the car when it's pouring out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I thought sure I posted in this one yesterday. Dunno what happened.

I have a two-car garage, attached to the house. And I only have one car. So the answer is: BOTH! Although most of the stuff in there is not really mini storage but equipment related to working outside, working on the car or other tools. It's not all stored very efficiently, so organizing it better is an upcoming project.

Back when we had two cars we managed to get them both in somehow, but there's more STUFF now. If we had two cars again, I'd try to arrange it to make it work. It's nice to have the car out of the elements.

Even when I don't put the car in (because I'm working on a project in the garage or something) I enter the house that way because it's still the easiest way to enter.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Approximate dates:

Pre-2004: No cars in garage, only for storage.

2004-2009: One car in garage.

2009-present: Two cars in garage.

Note: It's a two-car garage.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Only true way to use a garage: store and work on vehicles.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times
I have a 3 car tandem garage. We have 2 cars. Both cars get parked inside. The 3 tandem area is where I keep my wood workshop - saw table, work bench, etc. The attic is where I store all my junk.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
This topic is the main gripe I have with several homes in my neighborhood. There is probably 7-8 houses that have the garages full of crap, so they park their cars outside. BUT, they don't park them in their driveway, they park them in the street on the curb. We have two sections of road where the houses on BOTH sides of the street do this, so you have to squeeze your car in between two cars, and sometimes, it isn't easy (they aren't the best at parking next to the curb, and sometimes there is very little room in between if you drive a larger car.)

When we first moved in 3 years ago, it wasn't so bad, but now it's gotten completely out of hand. Our HOA has no regulations for this, but I think I'm going to have to bring it up to the board and see if they can do something. It's also dangerous having all these big SUV's parked on the street when they could easily be in the damn driveway, because there are a lot of children in our neighborhood running around. If one of them suddenly ran out from behind one of these cars into the street while another car was coming, they'd get killed.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I thought sure I posted in this one yesterday. Dunno what happened.

I have a two-car garage, attached to the house. And I only have one car. So the answer is: BOTH! Although most of the stuff in there is not really mini storage but equipment related to working outside, working on the car or other tools. It's not all stored very efficiently, so organizing it better is an upcoming project.

Back when we had two cars we managed to get them both in somehow, but there's more STUFF now. If we had two cars again, I'd try to arrange it to make it work. It's nice to have the car out of the elements.

Even when I don't put the car in (because I'm working on a project in the garage or something) I enter the house that way because it's still the easiest way to enter.
my dad loved to do woodworking and yard work. he had a large storage shed built in the back yard with electricity. half was a carpentry shop and half was lawn equipment & storage. he had planned to work there for his retirement until lung cancer took him.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:02 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
I have a 2 car garage, but I have my kid's project car in the garage, as well as all my tools (like an engine stand, and an engine hoist, and all my woodworking tools, like the chop saw and table saw) so the daily drivers stay outside.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
In the garage. Our street is full of cars either because they have garages full of junk, they have more cars than can fit, or like the neighbor across the street, park the Mrs. car in the center of the garage because if they park two cars in there she can't back out without breaking off the side view mirror. But she drives on the Interstate.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I have a 3 car tandem garage. We have 2 cars. Both cars get parked inside. The 3 tandem area is where I keep my wood workshop - saw table, work bench, etc. The attic is where I store all my junk.
A 3-car tandem? That is one deep building!

You know, upthread, someone said they didn't park inside because (among other reasons) the risk of scratching the car each time you go out, and apparently they go out like 20 times per day in the car. Anyway, I was thinking it was ridiculous, 10 years of backing out of mine (which is only an 8ft wide door, very narrow, and on the outside there's a retaining wall even with the doorway) and never hit anything, odds can't be that great of hitting anything.

Backing out of a tandem that long though, I might change my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive