Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 01:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,437,330 times

Advertisements

Folks,

I just picked up a 91 YJ and it seems to be having a chattering issue with the manual AX-5. It shifts thru all the gears just fine, it isn't a problem getting into gear at all.

Now, I bought it like this, because the YJ is structurally sound. Solid frame, solid body, solid little 2.5 4 banger (which, in the next year or so may throw my 4.0 with the AX-15 in). Lift kit, "brand new" BFG 32" A/T tires, nice American Racing wheels....all for 1500 bucks. I hauled the sob 3 1/2 home on a trailer.

The issue arises IN thrid gear. It's chattering, but I can't tell if it is coming from the bellhousing or the tranny itself. It also does it in 4th. The sound is like a metallic baseball card in the spokes. I haven't checked the tranny fluid yet, but I'm wondering if low fluid could cause this to happen in select gears, and not all gears?

Same question goes towards a bad component in the clutch assembly. The clutch doesn't start to grab until its about 3/4 up from the floor. My current YJ with the AX-15 grabs about 2 or 3 inches from the floor. So, I'm wondering if it is bend fingers on the pressure plate causing the chattering. If so, wouldn't it affect ALL gears? Or, is it not allowing certain gears to completely mesh because the fingers in the pressure plate are weak?

OR...am I most likely looking at new gears/syncros?

I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 05:26 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Personally, I think you looking at 2 things:
1. CHANGE gear oil to a quality one and see what happens. Quality one as in - Amsoil. Can't beat it.
2. Personally, I think, your clutch plate and pressure plate are worn out, requiring longer release throw to lower pressure plate enough to purchase on the clutch plate. Unless it's a brand new both, of course, but then you may want to look into flushing clutch line/slave.
I used to fine tune gear shifts with shifter cables, that are adjustable on any clutch car we ever owned. Look into this. But if it chatters metal on metal.....

Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,437,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Personally, I think you looking at 2 things:
1. CHANGE gear oil to a quality one and see what happens. Quality one as in - Amsoil. Can't beat it.
2. Personally, I think, your clutch plate and pressure plate are worn out, requiring longer release throw to lower pressure plate enough to purchase on the clutch plate. Unless it's a brand new both, of course, but then you may want to look into flushing clutch line/slave.
I used to fine tune gear shifts with shifter cables, that are adjustable on any clutch car we ever owned. Look into this. But if it chatters metal on metal.....

Thanks for the response, ukrkoz.

When I change the gear oil, I suppose the story will be told if I start finding large bits of silver and gold in there. I plan on dropping the tranny anyway to save on labour costs if it does need work, so even if that clutch still has some life to it, I'll be changing her out. I will look into tuning the cables, thanks.

I don't think she was ever wheeled very hard. I just think she had a bad driver who rode the clutch. That on top of a little 4 bangger pushing 32" tires around didn't do the drive train any favours.

Here she is, though....just for ****s n' giggles lol

Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Looks awright to me, though I am not into this particular type of cars.
I think, at this mileage, indeed, nuggets will be in gear box.
You have great task of replacing fluid in t-case, gear box, and rear diff. Oyts, front diff also? Sure has one? Just seriously, forget the money, do Amsoil gear oil. And Amsoil for all other fluids.
If clutch was never done, it's long term due anyway.
You instantly reminded me of my work on Sidekick. I had a pal, who owned one, and took her to any remote lake in the area possible. He was going through clutch plates every six months or so. Kick is, Sidekicks's gear box with t-case is about half size of the car itself. Sh-ing you not, 2nd time pulled her out myself. Was very lucky, it had a crossmember running underneath the output shaft housing, so I used it to slide that gear box back on it, to clear clutch. Of course, I was young and strong then.
Have fun. It's good project. Manly.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,051,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Folks,

I just picked up a 91 YJ and it seems to be having a chattering issue with the manual AX-5. It shifts thru all the gears just fine, it isn't a problem getting into gear at all.

Now, I bought it like this, because the YJ is structurally sound. Solid frame, solid body, solid little 2.5 4 banger (which, in the next year or so may throw my 4.0 with the AX-15 in). Lift kit, "brand new" BFG 32" A/T tires, nice American Racing wheels....all for 1500 bucks. I hauled the sob 3 1/2 home on a trailer.

The issue arises IN thrid gear. It's chattering, but I can't tell if it is coming from the bellhousing or the tranny itself. It also does it in 4th. The sound is like a metallic baseball card in the spokes. I haven't checked the tranny fluid yet, but I'm wondering if low fluid could cause this to happen in select gears, and not all gears?

Same question goes towards a bad component in the clutch assembly. The clutch doesn't start to grab until its about 3/4 up from the floor. My current YJ with the AX-15 grabs about 2 or 3 inches from the floor. So, I'm wondering if it is bend fingers on the pressure plate causing the chattering. If so, wouldn't it affect ALL gears? Or, is it not allowing certain gears to completely mesh because the fingers in the pressure plate are weak?

OR...am I most likely looking at new gears/syncros?

I appreciate the help.
My first thought is that your clutch plate is worn and the flywheel might need to be turned true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive