Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,210,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Carmax only has fixed commissions no matter what the price of the car, so it's less pressure. Also no haggling. I think there are still fees though

Edit: nvm didn't see you only put new. Does carmax have new? Not sure but they definitely have some close to new with very low miles
CarMax is a bad deal for most people though. You end up paying more at Carmax for the "no haggle" car buying experience than at a normal dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:27 PM

13,627 posts, read 12,250,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Regardless, you are still paying for all of the (unnecessary) overhead of a dealership.
You are right, but no more so than buying anything else in a retail environment. Of course you CAN showroom an appliance, look at it, figure out what you want, and go to Amazon. You can't do that with a car unless you have a dealership license. OP sounds like he might be a Costco member; they have decent programs for their members, you get the car close to dealer cost.

The reason that the system, as unpleasant as it is for some, is the way it is, is that back in the day, automakers wanted to expand their distribution as quickly as they could. The franchise model meant that the franchise owner took on most of the financial risk. As Automakers started having more and more requirements of Franchisees, largely regarding warranties, the store owners pushed back for their own concessions. Thus, they kind of have a tight grip on all of us.

Elon Musk is trying to circumvent that, but buying a Tesla from a factory store is kind of like buying an iPad from the Apple store; you cut out the middleman to pad the factory pockets.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,380,805 times
There is always a middle man.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 PM

23,271 posts, read 23,633,734 times
I go to carsdirect, get an online quote and then have a local dealer beat it. The local dealer has always done so, for me.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,392,296 times
You kinds of can shop one against another over the net, same car can get service any dealer what you got left? $$ Price.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:36 AM

3,394 posts, read 6,038,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
CarMax is a bad deal for most people though. You end up paying more at Carmax for the "no haggle" car buying experience than at a normal dealership.
I have bought 2 cars from them and taken 3 Soldiers to buy cars from them as well. Yes, you do end up paying more but I think the buying experience makes it worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You kinds of can shop one against another over the net, same car can get service any dealer what you got left? $$ Price.
That's a good strategy and it's quite easy to do these days with the internet.

OP, I would do some research online and e-mail dealers within a 150 mile radius or maybe even more. Don't be afraid to go out of your immediate for the right deal. I've known people to buy cars from many states away for the right deal. Even factoring in a 1 way plane ticket, time and gas going back home, it was worth the savings.

With the power of the internet, the days of the dealer having the upper hand are long over, IMHO.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,768,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
This is, approximately, the sales model Elon Musk is using to sell Teslas where there are no laws preventing him from doing so. Dealers, of course, are seeing red, and have pushed state legislatures to outlaw Internet sales.
Dictatorial free enterprise?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM

528 posts, read 816,500 times
Earlier last year my brother found a car on the net that was at a dealer about 50 miles away. Talked to the internet manager via emails and made an offer. They accepted the offer and he said he would come up, look at the car and buy it if everything checked out and he was happy with the car. I drove him up there, he checked the car out, test drove it and bought it. The whole process including drive time took just over two and a half hours.

Last year I found a car at a dealer about a mile from my house. I went the old school route and went through the back and forth haggle (which I hate) and the whole process took almost four hours. I got the price I wanted because I would not budge and I was willing to walk. I had been looking at similar cars on the net and there was a car at another dealer 30 or 40 miles away, about the same miles and asking price. At one point I punched it up on my phone, showed the salesman and told him I drove it yesterday and they were going to sell it to me for almost the same price I wanted to pay for theirs. Either beat their price or I'm leaving. All of a sudden my price became acceptable. Truth is I never drove the other car but, they didn't know that. My research on the net and my smart phone gave me just enough leverage to get what I wanted.

Given the choice between my brothers buying experience and mine I would much prefer his. Even though I got the price I wanted the idea of wasting four hours of my time really pissed me off.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:53 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,966,580 times
I bought my 4Runner at an "internet price" 2k less than the cheapest I could find. no haggling. got a loan gave it to them and drove off. Work with a dealer directly to see if they have an internet price.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:22 AM

85 posts, read 252,716 times
What do you guys think of carvana?
No new cars, but it's online buying, no dealerfees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive