Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No they won't. They will be average at best unless their labor force improves.

I dunno, even at their current position in the quality control lineup, they are better (fewer problems per 100 vehicles) than even the better cars of just 10 years ago. THey may be average, but these days average is very, very good in comparison to days gone by. There are no truly bad cars these days, unlike the days of the XJS and Classic Range Rover (in both cases, rust and electrical issues were rampant).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:27 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Sigh. WHY oh WHY do guys fall for this garbage?
Really, it's a guy thing, isn't it? Women are much too sane to fall for this, aren't we?

(Not trying to start a flame war here, just a bit of humor)
BBAS (Beautiful British Automobile Syndrome), like hypertension and high cholesterol, is more common among men, but not exclusive to them. There are women who see them and think, its Sooo Beautiful I must have it. It really is not at all unlike being a Sugar Daddy/Mama; more Sugar Daddies, but Sugar Momma isn't all together a rare species.

To co-opt a phrase from Jeremy Clarkson, who used it to describe another make, "It was designed to be everything an automobile can be, briefly."

But seriously Lucas Electric is the original Antitheft system in vehicles.

Why didn't the Nazi's ever bomb the Lucas Electrical Plant?
They considered them an ally.

What is the only product of Lucas that doesn't suck? Their Vacuum.

Why do the British drink warm beer? Lucas made their refrigerators, too.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Old 10-23-2013, 03:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Yep, gotta love that Lucas electrical system...... a fire waiting to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You think YOU hate British cars, I tried to start them in Canadian winters. I had a Jaguar and a Rover, and the lesser Vauxhalls and Austins were just laughable. Somebody described one as a tin box with a sewing machine under the bonnet. A valve job was considered routine maintenance when you do an oil change.

A mechanic once explained to me that there so many millions of miles of (Lucas) electrical wiring in British cars, that all the spark leaks out through the insulation on damp or cold days, before any gets to the plugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
BBAS (Beautiful British Automobile Syndrome), like hypertension and high cholesterol, is more common among men, but not exclusive to them. There are women who see them and think, its Sooo Beautiful I must have it. It really is not at all unlike being a Sugar Daddy/Mama; more Sugar Daddies, but Sugar Momma isn't all together a rare species.

To co-opt a phrase from Jeremy Clarkson, who used it to describe another make, "It was designed to be everything an automobile can be, briefly."

But seriously Lucas Electric is the original Antitheft system in vehicles.

Why didn't the Nazi's ever bomb the Lucas Electrical Plant?
They considered them an ally.

What is the only product of Lucas that doesn't suck? Their Vacuum.

Why do the British drink warm beer? Lucas made their refrigerators, too.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."
it always seemed like if you spill a glass of water anywhere near a british car, the lucas electrics would shut down. of course anywhere near a british car was something like 5 miles radius. which is funny because of the amount of moisture in the air in britiain.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Do they actually still make cars in Britain? I thought every single company of their was bought out.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:54 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Do they actually still make cars in Britain? I thought every single company of their was bought out.
They still manufacture cars there, although off the top of my head I can't think of any that are still British owned.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They still manufacture cars there, although off the top of my head I can't think of any that are still British owned.
TVR might still be british owned and perhaps MG. as i recall the company that makes the london taxis is also british owned, and perhaps morgan as well. that all i can think of.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:27 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
I used to have a 1962 Morris Minor. 4 cylinder, 9 gallon gas tank, got 52 mpg. It looked just like the one in this picture. Same color too. I loved it.
Attached Thumbnails
I hate British cars-1962-morris-minor.jpg  

Old 10-23-2013, 04:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
British cars have a warmth and character missing from German cars.

I think the original XKE is one of the most beautiful cars ever. Would love to have one.
When I had my Rover TC2000, I didn't get into it, I put it on like and old leather jacket.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I had my Rover TC2000, I didn't get into it, I put it on like and old leather jacket.
that is how it is with all british cars, including the big jags.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Grrr. I hate British cars!
But look how cute it is? We had one of these back in the 60s.

http://www.imps4ever.info/library/br...an_imp_mk2.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive