Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times

Advertisements

I've bought pads and rotors for about $100 for a Pontiac Sunfire. Wondering what the amount of labor hours required by a mechanic would be. I've been quoted around $100 for labor, which I think is based on $80/hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I'll no doubt be criticized but that sounds about right, 1 to 2 hours.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I'd say $100 for labor is reasonable for labor on 1 axle.

When i do my own personal brake jobs, it takes about 1-2 hours per axle. I'm not in a rush, and that assumes the job goes without hitch. Dealing with seized/stuck rotors can be a PITA sometimes.

What's more amazing is you found a shop that was willing to use your purchased parts.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

What's more amazing is you found a shop that was willing to use your purchased parts.
Should have also originally asked if I needed anything more than pad and rotors. The savings was about $50 over their parts. They also warranty for a year. The parts I bought have a warranty, although obviously not on labor.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Should have also originally asked if I needed anything more than pad and rotors. The savings was about $50 over their parts. They also warranty for a year. The parts I bought have a warranty, although obviously not on labor.
You shouldn't. It's possible that you might need a caliper if the one on it is locking up and grinding the brakes but that's somewhat unusual.

I have to ask about the rotors, though. Is this an offshoot from your thread the other day which I stayed out of? As a couple posters there said, replacement of rotors is generally not a necessity when renewing brake pads unless the rotor is warped or scored. Having said that, some 90's GM models had the reputation of having poor rotor life, I don't know specifically about the Sunbird.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:03 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
For average brake jobs I've done myself (not a mechanic..just do my own work), usually all I need are the pads and rotors.

I do apply some anti-seize to the hubs before sliding the rotors off, and some brake grease to the pad contact points to prevent noise. I routinely flush my brake fluid yearly.

Assuming a routine brake job with no stripped bolts, stuck rotors, damaged brake lines, seized caliper pistons, etc...that should be all you need.

Also, when doing brakes myself, i tend to replace the rotor rather than resurface. Rotor prices are fairly cheap for most cars, and finding shops that will resurface rotors I bring them is becoming harder and harder.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You shouldn't. It's possible that you might need a caliper if the one on it is locking up and grinding the brakes but that's somewhat unusual.

I have to ask about the rotors, though. Is this an offshoot from your thread the other day which I stayed out of? As a couple posters there said, replacement of rotors is generally not a necessity when renewing brake pads unless the rotor is warped or scored. Having said that, some 90's GM models had the reputation of having poor rotor life, I don't know specifically about the Sunbird.
I've only been maintaining this car for a little over two years, but I swear I had the rotors replaced, but I could be wrong, maybe they were just turned, I honestly can't remember. When I go to the shop, I'm going to keep the rotors in the trunk and just say I need the pads changed, then see if they come back and mention the rotors.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
I've bought pads and rotors for about $100 for a Pontiac Sunfire. Wondering what the amount of labor hours required by a mechanic would be. I've been quoted around $100 for labor, which I think is based on $80/hour.
You'll need to pay whatever somebody agrees to do it for.

I could change out the rotors & pads on that car in 15 minutes. Any mechanic with any experience can do it in less than 30 minutes.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 PM

28 posts, read 207,524 times
Quote:
They usually hike up the labor costs per hour if you use your own parts. Usually by at least $20-$30 an hour. Every shop I've ever been too has at least.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
It's about a hr worth of labor with air tools. I take a few hours but I have one ton trucks
Why don't you do it yourself. Those cars have floating rotors so its simple. Remove replace. Its a front wheel drive so no packing hub bearings. And the. Pads only require a c clamp or big channel locks to press back the hydraulic piston. Easy peazy and you get to save $100 and learn a bit about your car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive