Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Canadian gravity is no joke!
Look up the "Laurentian Shield" and note the anomolies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Until there are actual numbers to work with this is just a guessing game.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:49 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
It could just be from random variation in driving conditions/temperature between your test tanks. You would likely have to repeat the test numerous times with both Canadian and American gas.

If the test results continued to show higher mileage with the US sourced gas, then it would likely be some difference in the mix/blend of the gas. Whatever chemicals each country/region is using in the gas causing variation.

Your Buffalo gas will vary depending on the time of year, simply due to differences between our "summer" blend and "winter" blend. I do not know if Ontario has different blends mandated for the time of year either.

Essentially, way too many variables to know for sure.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Without a careful measure of how much fuel you're using, how many miles you're going, and the conditions, and repeating it numerous times it's impossible to draw any valid conclusions.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Same gas but I think it is because gravity is 13 meters/(sec*sec) in Canada and only 9.8 here so there is more drag and friction and the MPG is proportionately less.
Good point CtC! Physiks surrounds us (as does the ether) and we ignore it only at our deepest peril!
To whit, I thought this thread was aboot this type of ghas:

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ssing-gas.html

Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Is the trip all uphill one way; and downhill the other ??

Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Without a careful measure of how much fuel you're using, how many miles you're going, and the conditions, and repeating it numerous times it's impossible to draw any valid conclusions.
We have been doing this trip for 5 years, probably 7 to 10 times a year.

The amount of driving we do at the cottage is negligible (5 miles total) before we come back home.

The trip to the cottage and back, is 310 miles. To get there we go up Airport Road which is very hilly, and we come back the same way. We always get a full tank of gas before we leave home - filling up at home or we go over the border. The tank is then full - 15 gallons according to my Buffalo receipts.

The times we have filled up in Buffalo, we always get back home without having to refill. The times we have filled up in Canada, the tank is empty around the time we're halfway home which is about 230 to 240 miles into the whole round trip of 310 miles.

It was only this past summer when we finally decided to see if it was our imagination, and take notes, and carefully empty the tank before filling, etc, because for the past 5 years of living in a border town, it always felt like the US gas lasted forever. Then we really began to notice it on long trips.

But I just can't see any reason for it.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Are you gaining or losing any altitude in the trip? You get better mileage going downhill.

Another anomoly is that the particular stations you use, if there is just one in the US and one in Canada, may be laid out such that your car is more or less level in one or the other, so you don't get the same amount of gas in the car one place or the other.

Final point is that "E10" fuel can vary considerably in ethanol content, more ethanol means worse MPG.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I've noticed for years now, that if I fill up across the border in Buffalo, the gas seems to last a really long time. During the summer we tested it a couple of times. A full tank of US gas took us all the way to the cottage and back home. A full tank of Canadian gas did not. We had to stop and fill up about 90 mins before getting home.

So I estimate we get 20 miles per gallon on US fuel and only 15 miles per gallon on Canadian. A secondary benefit is that it cost only $60 to fill it in the US, and $85 in Canada.

But why does American gasoline last longer?

(2nd paragraph)...........why are you estimating ?

miles driven divided by gallons used =MPG

Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
(2nd paragraph)...........why are you estimating ?

miles driven divided by gallons used =MPG

You're right, I should have used the word "calculating." I'm getting this number by dividing 15 gallons into 310 miles. But that's actually understating it/underestimating it though because the tank isn't bone dry when we pull back into the driveway. There's more than enough left in it to get to a gas station.

So although my numbers aren't exact, I do know that the Canadian gas doesn't get me all the way home, and the US gas does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive