Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm not a 16 year old gigglehead texting her BFFs. The occasional, responsible glance at my phone will not get me or anyone else killed. People have been using their cell phones for 30 years with few problems.

Exactly... some of these people are a little ridiculous. By their logic there should be a $10,000 fine everytime your eyes are diverted from windshield. That includes, climate controls, dash, anything.... Yet these same people more than likely enjoy all of the gadgets and technology in their vehicle that takes more attention than a phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
I'm not a 16 year old gigglehead texting her BFFs. The occasional, responsible glance at my phone will not get me or anyone else killed. People have been using their cell phones for 30 years with few problems.
Stats?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Exactly... some of these people are a little ridiculous. By their logic there should be a $10,000 fine everytime your eyes are diverted from windshield. That includes, climate controls, dash, anything.... Yet these same people more than likely enjoy all of the gadgets and technology in their vehicle that takes more attention than a phone.
Then can you please explain WHY virtually every time someone has threatened to do me bodily harm with their vehicle during 8-10K miles of motorcycling a year I could clearly see the phone held up to their ear?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Then can you please explain WHY virtually every time someone has threatened to do me bodily harm with their vehicle during 8-10K miles of motorcycling a year I could clearly see the phone held up to their ear?
How were they texting with the phone to their ear?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
How were they texting with the phone to their ear?
WHEN/WHERE did I EVER say they were texting?

I was responding to your allegation that "Yet these same people more than likely enjoy all of the gadgets and technology in their vehicle that takes more attention than a phone" Perhaps you were too distracted by a phone to keep up?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If you are involved in an accident, they could subpoena your cell phone records to prove it.
But how will they know if I'm doing something besides texting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
They simply contact the NSA and they can quickly tell what you were doing with regards to texting or phone.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO get out of my life!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I don't care if you're just looking for the time (what car doesn't have a clock these days!!??!), GPS, or what music is playing. There's just zero NEED to touch it.... sure, you have a lot of 'want' going on there, but smartphone users are all about their instant gratifications wants so that's not news.
My car has a clock. It's about 3 feet lower than my eyes, and to see it I have to look completely away from the road by turning my eyes over and down. Which is safer, swiveling and lowering my eyes, or putting the phone in front of them while still looking out at the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Stats?
How can there be stats for something that didn't happen? How recently did anyone make an issue out of using a phone while driving? How many billions of calls were safely made before anyone started to think there may be a safer way?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHEN/WHERE did I EVER say they were texting?

I was responding to your allegation that "Yet these same people more than likely enjoy all of the gadgets and technology in their vehicle that takes more attention than a phone" Perhaps you were too distracted by a phone to keep up?
Well maybe you should exercise your reading skills and start at page 1, again. This thread is about texting and/or the act of removing your eyes from the road. You pose the question to me about why you have almost been flattened by people talking on the phone... WHEN/WHERE did ANYONE EVER mention talking on the phone? Someone with a phone to their ear can simultaneously be paying attention the road, same as bluetooth. A texter cannot.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:16 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:

How can there be stats for something that didn't happen? How recently did anyone make an issue out of using a phone while driving? How many billions of calls were safely made before anyone started to think there may be a safer way?
You said "people have been using their cell phones for 30 years with few problems"
So you're basically stating that cell phones don't cause many accidents.

STATS??

Don't make a claim and run away from proving it.

Texting and Driving Statistics | 23% of Car Accidents Each Year Involve Cell Phone Use

Crashes caused by drivers on cellphones underreported

1 In 20 Crashes Linked To Cell Phones - CBS News

I only have found links with a large variance. Clearly though, it's hardly "few". Although I'm not the one making the claim.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Well maybe you should exercise your reading skills and start at page 1, again. This thread is about texting and/or the act of removing your eyes from the road. Someone with a phone to their ear can simultaneously be paying attention the road, same as bluetooth. A texter cannot.
And maybe you should exercise your memory all of a half-hour ago or so when you alleged "that takes more attention than a phone" and said NOTHING about texting on that phone, eh?

You alleged all those other gadgets were MORE distracting than a phone. Have anything remotely factual to support that otherwise baseless allegation?

Old 10-25-2013, 04:56 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Even with bluetooth on, I still have to mess with the Google Play music list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive