Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:11 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I talk to the HQ of my car make and they said I would have to pay for diagnostic fees but fixing the problem will be covered by the warranty. Does that sound right? That I have to pay for diagnostic fees? Its a 5 year "bumper to bumper" warranty.
The dealer should not be requesting diagnosis charge from you for a repair that is covered under factory warranty. That's where you should start.

What is the problem with the car anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 06:05 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
It looks like either the brake system or electrical system... Hard to know when they refuse to look at it to tell me without a fee...

Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
what is the car doing that's not like it's supposed to, your answer is way too broad.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times
Default Mits Dealer

Quote:
It looks like either the brake system or electrical system... Hard to know when they refuse to look at it to tell me without a fee...
1st, how many miles on this 2010? What is the Inservice Date? I am trying to determine if it is still under the basic new car warranty?Most new vehicles are really only covered 100% for the 1st 12K or 12 months.2nd, did you buy the car new @ this dealership?3rd, Is this your service provider ( Oil changes, brakes, etc..)If it comes down to it and you are out of the basic warranty speak to the service manager. Negotiate the check out charges. Offer $25.00 for one hour, that should cover their labor costs. Go alittle higher if needed. Let them know you are willing to work with them. Most dealerships are in need of work and they should work with you.Also, if the problem is not warranty, are you able to pay for a repair?

Last edited by ghostrider7811; 10-29-2013 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: oops

Old 10-29-2013, 06:59 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
25k miles... An info light that brake system needs maintenance comes up and strangely the nav system will reset... It doesn't happen everytime just once in a while... I bought it brand new off a dealer lot...

Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Its a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander...
I bought it brand new off a dealer lot...
Any car nearly 4 years old... won't have much left under any warranty
Quote:
25k miles... An info light that brake system needs maintenance...
Maintenance isn't covered by any warranty.
Even when there is a strangely low mileage showing on them.

Service Writer Spiel:
"We'll be happy to look it over MrNewbie... but we have to be able to charge for our time.
If it's a warranty issue we'll fix it and charge the factory... but if it isn't we need to charge you.
You need to agree to this before we can start."

Last edited by MrRational; 10-30-2013 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
We also have to factor into this equation the reality that Mitsubishi is on the rocks in the US, and currently has one foot in the grave and the other foot on a banana peel, so to speak. Many who are familiar with the company are speculating that Mitsu will have no choice but to leave the US marketplace, as Suzuki has already done.

The last time that Mitsubishi had serious financial issues (in the late '90s, IIRC), they began disallowing warranty claims on engines & transmissions that had obvious flaws, and their denials of warranty coverage became so extreme as to result in an investigation by the Japanese government, which confirmed that the company was trying to conserve its dwindling finances by screwing customers out of justified warranty claims. As a result of this corporate "dishonorable" behavior, Mitsubishi became a pariah in its own country, and sales in Japan dwindled even lower. It was at that time that Mitsu became the "ghetto car" of choice in the US, simply because Mitsubishi of America was giving financing to people with essentially no credit history or a very bad credit history. That episode resulted in huge numbers of repossessions, further tainting their picture in the US.

My point is that, given Mitsubishi's history and their current precarious financial plight, it would not surprise me at all if dealerships have been given instructions to really tighten-up on warranty-related spending.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
and their dealer network is really small. Maybe OP should get it repaired and consider trading?

I knew they were on a little shaky ground, had no idea of how serious, thanks Retriever. It's a shame they did make pretty good cars. You'll never get a twenty something to part with an Eclipse.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
It's a shame they did make pretty good cars.
My brother, who had the misfortune to own a mid-late 80s Galant, would have strongly disagreed with that statement!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Any car nearly 4 years old... won't have much left under any warranty

Maintenance isn't covered by any warranty.
Even when there is a strangely low mileage showing on them.

Service Writer Spiel:
"We'll be happy to look it over MrNewbie... but we have to be able to charge for our time.
If it's a warranty issue we'll fix it and charge the factory... but if it isn't we need to charge you.
You need to agree to this before we can start."
Agreed.

Quote:
25k miles... An info light that brake system needs maintenance comes up and strangely the nav system will reset... It doesn't happen everytime just once in a while... I bought it brand new off a dealer lot...
So the only symptom is the brake needs maintenance "light"?
Or is there more you're not mentioning...

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 10-30-2013 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive