Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:14 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times

Advertisements

Stepson has a 2001 Mits. Diamante. At 103,000 miles the 'check engine' light activated. He reset it and it came on within 48 hours. He was scheduled to go through emmissions testing so he turned off the light just before going and passed with flying colors. Next day the light was back on.

My concern is that he is a pauper (newly married, school loans...) and cannot afford hundreds of dollars or diagnostics.

Can anyone opine if this is simply a sensor issue or catalytic converter issue...... The car idles a bit rough and his gas mileage may be down a bit, if that helps.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Well the CEL will tell you if the o2 sensor is bad. Just get an OBDII reader or get the codes read at a shop. Once you have the code (P0062, etc) you can search for it online. My fiancés card had an o2 go bad recently and the car runs fine aside from the CEL. We've ordered it online and will install soon.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,423 times
There are usually places that will diagnose the check engine light for little cost, if any. I often get coupons in my local shopping rag (direct mail) for a free check-engine light diagnosis.

FWIW, the check engine light in my Toyota Sienna minivan has been on for four years - it's an O2 sensor - and the van runs OK, though it can affect performance. The Toyotas cost an arm and a leg to fix -- $220 is the price for the part -- so I have no real incentive to fix it. The car passes inspection every year with the check-engine light on (this is PA, which is probably not as strict as other states).

Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Autozone can read the code for free. They give you a code number and you can google-search what the issue is and go from there. Sometimes the code will be straight to the point and list a specific sensor, other times the code will list a condition that is not correct and require a little research to figure out the issue.

Code readers are cheap. Google search "OBDII reader" and you'll find hundreds of models. A basic read/erase scanner can be had for under $50. $100 will give you a more advanced reader that can show engine parameters and such. There are even more advanced readers that do ABS codes and special functions.

Or you can just go to Autozone, explain your check engine light is on, and a tech will go outside and read the code with you for free. The CEL can be a hundred things..so no point guessing

It could be an O2 sensor, or a misfire from a failing coil-pack, or worn out spark plugs. Only way to know is to read the code number and research it

Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
If the OBDII code calls out the sensor, just replace it. They are not expensive if you don't buy them from the dealer. Some cars have more than one - so you need to determine which one it is (the OBDII code probably says which one). Go to Automotive OE Replacement and Performance Parts - In Stock for Your Tune-Up! and buy an "OEM exact replacement".

You might need an O2 sensor "crowsfoot" socket to remove the existing one. $8.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,423 times
So I was curious with my minivan to see what the price really was (mechanic quoted $220; my van has California emissions) so I went to your link, hoffdano -- there is a plethora of oxygen sensor options, ranging from about $30 all the way up to $300. Same part. How on earth would one figure out what to buy?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,299,513 times
Or it could be as simple as a bad gasket on the gas cap. Get the code read before guessing.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
At that age and mileage, either a mass air flow sensor or O2 sensor. Neither one of them are bank breakers. He should be out in under $200, depending on the cost of labor near you.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
So I was curious with my minivan to see what the price really was (mechanic quoted $220; my van has California emissions) so I went to your link, hoffdano -- there is a plethora of oxygen sensor options, ranging from about $30 all the way up to $300. Same part. How on earth would one figure out what to buy?
I can't offer advice specific to your van. But many of the sensors are electronically identical but do not have a factory matching connector. You would have to splice the cables. You would want one that is the exact OEM replacement connector. That makes it easy.

I recently replaced two O2 sensors on my NSX. The Acura part was about $125 each. The equivalent NGK part was about $58.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,563,161 times
Every last one of the cars I've had for the past 15 years has had the check engine light come on indicating the O2 sensor at around 100,000 miles. One thing I found is that you can 'postpone' how soon in the car's life that O2 sensor comes up by using name-brand gas instead of a cheaper regional generic or grocery store gas. We're talking maybe 3-5 thousand more miles, out of 100,000, before that engine code shows itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive