Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Yeah, but what happens if the government requires all registered vehicles to have them.
Ain't going to happen.

That is unless King Barry declares martial law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Black boxes just like speed limits. Another fantastic way to make money. There will be imbeciles who will justify such nonsense if this comes into fruition.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
I thought E.T. had kidnapped AJ and was doing all kinds of sexual experiments on him?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I thought E.T. had kidnapped AJ and was doing all kinds of sexual experiments on him?
There's a visual I didn't need

Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
So you're saying that absolutely everyone driving a Mercedes does so because they feel it's a superior car? No one buys/drives a Mercedes because of the status that the marque implies?
I can't say what "everyone" does because I have not interviewed "everyone" to find why they do what they do. I can say I drive mine because I like the ride, comfort and performance. And at this point in my life, having started with my first car as a Ford Pinto and gradually working my way up the professional chain, I can now afford this indulgence. And I really don't care much what others think as they are free to drive one also should they choose to, even without consulting me beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Just saying you got options, that "there is little I can do" is absolutely untrue. But of course, if you're not willing to make some sacrifices, then yes, you're absolutely correct. There is little you can do at that point.
As more and more cars have this technology woven into their electronic systems, the options diminish. My 12 year old truck had it, so it's nothing new. As I don't choose to drive a '61 Falcon or a '63 Rambler American, all I'm saying is that choices are very limited. I attempted to disable the device in my '02 Chevy and that didn't work. If I'm involved in an accident and there's any doubt in my mind on culpability, I intend to retain ownership of my vehicle by refusing to accept settlement from the insurance company until/unless I can ensure the vehicle has been scrubbed of data as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

The amount of work one is willing to put into disabling such systems is directly proportional to the paranoia one feels, and perhaps the thickness of the foil hat one wears. I do agree that the loss of privacy is quite alarming and the ways the government finds to intrude into the smallest details of our lives is increasing daily.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Love that show and bear especially.
I know, me too. But now they moved it to ten o'clock and I'm usually too well oiled to be up that late.
Quote:
The Edward Snowden or Anonymous will provide a solution. I am confident.

The people have spoken and are fighting back against 1984.
I hope so. They sure aren't fighting back on the ACA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I can't say what "everyone" does because I have not interviewed "everyone" to find why they do what they do. I can say I drive mine because I like the ride, comfort and performance. And at this point in my life, having started with my first car as a Ford Pinto and gradually working my way up the professional chain, I can now afford this indulgence. And I really don't care much what others think as they are free to drive one also should they choose to, even without consulting me beforehand.

The amount of work one is willing to put into disabling such systems is directly proportional to the paranoia one feels, and perhaps the thickness of the foil hat one wears. I do agree that the loss of privacy is quite alarming and the ways the government finds to intrude into the smallest details of our lives is increasing daily.
Well said and agree, both on reasons for driving a Benz and thickness of the foil hat. Mine gets thicker every year

Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
The people have spoken and are fighting back against 1984.

But . . . but . . . Wait, when I read "1984", I was told that it was about Russia. You know, the part about the perpetual patriotic wars just to spend the increasing wealth in ways that will still impoverish the pesky citizenry, and stuff like that. Letting the liberal Emmanuel Goldstein on the radio for a few minutes every day so he could be officially ridiculed by the conservative Big Brother, who didn't exist as an individual, but only as the voice of the privileged wealthy.

I think this is the first thread I've ever seen on C-D in which nearly everyone is expressing a need to fight back against 1984, so maybe this is it: The Revolution.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

--- (widely but wrongly attributed to) George Orwell

Last edited by jtur88; 11-01-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 10:54 AM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think this is the first thread I've ever seen on C-D in which nearly everyone is expressing a need to fight back against 1984, so maybe this is it: The Revolution.

Except for :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx
The Edward Snowden or Anonymous will provide a solution. I am confident
We may all feel a need to fight back, but the vast majority will still continue to be confident that someone else will step up for them...that they themselves will not need to leave the comfort of their Lazy Boy and big screen TV to do so - that's what the Snowdens and Anonymouse exist for!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 AM

358 posts, read 886,252 times
Most people do not care whether the government tracks what they do. Most people do not do anything that would interest the government. At the level it takes to get this sort of tracking, the government does not care if you drive 100 mph on an empty freeway. They are looking for potential terrorists, security threats, or political leverage. Now they are looking for potentially unstable persons (mass murderers) as well, but there is really not a lot they can do to find them.

If you are not a serial killer, politician, terrorist, or an unsable person with a lot of guns, they are no much interested in what you do. Private companies are a different story however.

The more likely use for this is private surveillance and security. If you work for a major company and are privvy to corporate secrets, they may want to know if you are having an affair, or are secretly spending weekends dressed in women's clothing. You may be susceptible to blackmail. The person you are having an affair with could be a corporate spy. Sometimes, a company will spend a little money investigating every management employee or potential employee just to find out whether they are stable, or otherwise not desirable. Remarkably many companies do not even check references or claimed education. Thus, while one hospital may know whether their doctors do anything weird in their spare time, another may not even realized they have "doctors" on their staff who are not even doctors at all.

Those are the types of things that are more likely to be the subject of this sort of tracking. The government is really not very interested in ordinary people. However private interests on either side of the table may be intersted in you if you have access to confidential information or are in a high level position.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:19 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
The more likely use for this is private surveillance and security.
Well, in this case, it seems to be partly the result of so many automakers putting them in cars for years already, and insurance companies wanting them to be able to gather information from accidents.

Its odd to me that people are worried about the possibility of the government getting information about your driving habits, and not about the insurance companies getting information about your driving habits. They already use your credit rating as part of the calculus to set your rates [yes, this is a thing: The Secret Score Behind Your Auto Insurance - MSN Autos ]. Insurance companies will even knock a few bucks off of your premium if you voluntarily install their tracking device. Why would they do this? Risk assessment, which is exactly the business they are in.

If it was really about the government 'tracking' you for law enforcement purposes, don't you think someone would be coming after the EDR from that Mercedes that crossed the country in 29 hours [BTW, I'll eat my words if this verifiably IS happening]? Those guys actually hired a GPS tracking company to gather driving data, which certainly included speed.

Last edited by DJDeadParrot; 11-04-2013 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: putting 3rd paragraph in better context
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive